Hot Toys DX05- Indiana Jones (Raiders of the Lost Ark) 1/6 Figure Full Specs + Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
167514_488155237343_58690437343_6403172_2157210_n.jpg

I'm bothered like others about the hat sitting high on the head. If the hat/hair is one piece then I'm not sure how the hat will be adjustable. Sculpt is soft to me. Jacket looks sharp though.

Looking at this, the hat isn't the most glaring issue. For $250, I guess it's too much to ask for a figure that actually looks like Ford? HT needs to ditch Kim and commission Trevor. Kim's a good sculptor but it's clear Ford's proving just too hard a likeness for him to capture. His first attempt didn't bullseye and this one isn't hitting the mark either. Add a metrosexual moustache and goatee and you'd have Paul Teutul jr. Overall, this looks more like the concept sketch of Indy than Ford's Indy. No likeness (save for the lips and chin - only part that's right), wonky hat, coat looks odd and overall he's way too buff to be Harrison.

Last edited:
I do see Ford in the sculpt but they definately need to fine tune some of the issues mentioned here. Usualy HT at least trys to listen to feedback and fix issues. But seriously Nam 250 for this?!

When do you think we will see a pre-order on this to places like AE, toys2, SSC? Couple days?

Looking at this, the hat isn't the most glaring issue. For $250, I guess it's too much to ask for a figure that actually looks like Ford? HT needs to ditch Kim and commission Trevor. Kim's a good sculptor but it's clear Ford's proving just too hard a likeness for him to capture. His first attempt didn't bullseye and this one isn't hitting the mark either. Add a metrosexual moustache and goatee and you'd have Paul Teutul jr. Overall, this looks more like the concept sketch of Indy than Ford's Indy. No likeness (save for the lips and chin - only part that's right), wonky hat, coat looks odd and overall he's way too buff to be Harrison.

He does seem to look like a pretty decent Indy Concept version.
o-early-indiana-jones-concept-art-by-jim-steranko.jpg
[/IMG]
jim_steranko_raiders02CROP-thumb-541x373-54482.jpg
[/IMG]

Unless this figure is a big success, which it doesn't seem like it's going to be at the moment, at least compared to other HT figures, this could easily be the one and only HT Indy figure.

IMO it will be a financial success regardless of the quality. The Batman DX has serious documented QC problems and that doesn't stop people from shelling out crazy money on Ebay for him. I don't think this figure will linger at retail.

Personally, if the retail price predictions are correct it just makes me lean more towards getting the Raiders PF. Way more iconic and impressive, IMO, for that kind of money (assuming you can get a deal on the PF).

The question is, Did Kim do a fresh sculpt or did HT just go off his old one, in which case, it's more a matter of HT cutting corners and using an old, flawed sculpt instead of having something new done. It looks so much like Kim's old Indy, if it's a new sculpt, then he just can't see Indy any other way apparently and can't sculpt it any better, if it's his old one, then HT should use a newer one. Kim might be able to do a new one better, but maybe not, success with one actor's likeness doesn't mean a sculptor can do anything; Yulli and Kojun have their hits and misses.

I do see Ford in the sculpt but they definately need to fine tune some of the issues mentioned here. Usualy HT at least trys to listen to feedback and fix issues. But seriously Nam 250 for this?!

Without LFL licensing, I see him fetching as much as at least, Bruce Lee. But then look at things like the whip and jacket which would also bring up the price and then add in LFL licensing and, easily, it's $250. Remember, licensing is how Lucas makes his billions. ;)

The question is, Did Kim do a fresh sculpt or did HT just go off his old one, in which case, it's more a matter of HT cutting corners and using an old, flawed sculpt instead of having something new done. It looks so much like Kim's old Indy, if it's a new sculpt, then he just can't see Indy any other way apparently and can't sculpt it any better, if it's his old one, then HT should use a newer one. Kim might be able to do a new one better, but maybe not, success with one actor's likeness doesn't mean a sculptor can do anything; Yulli and Kojun have their hits and misses.

HT would've been stupid to reuse a subpar sculpt for an icon figure like this. Especially for such a spotlight announcement at a toy show. I think it's a new sculpt and that, as has been discussed, Ford's just a likeness Kim is incapable of nailing. As other have also said, this has me highly concerned about the upcoming Reeve Superman. "Good enough," at this price point, isn't acceptable.

You have a valid point, I asked myself the same thing. Is this the original sculpt or a new one? I would think Kim would want to start off at Hot Toys with a new one, no? Does anyone have pictures of the original that we can compare to the "new" one?

IMO it will be a financial success regardless of the quality. The Batman DX has serious documented QC problems and that doesn't stop people from shelling out crazy money on Ebay for him. I don't think this figure will linger at retail.

Batman's different though, people are happy with the look of the figure, he just had QC issues. When people love how a figure looks enough, they'll take gambles on QC problems. Indy is being met with a lukewarm reception because of how the figure is being made. People won't gamble serious money on a figure they don't like looking at.

Ebay dealers have this up $250+ which if the case, it won't be a guaranteed purchase. I like the Indy films and the character is iconic enough to consider a purchase but not at such a steep price point.

Batman's different though, people are happy with the look of the figure, he just had QC issues. When people love how a figure looks enough, they'll take gambles on QC problems. Indy is being met with a lukewarm reception because of how the figure is being made. People won't gamble serious money on a figure they don't like looking at.

Batman was also sub $200 and in a couple places as low as $150.

HT would've been stupid to reuse a subpar sculpt for an icon figure like this. Especially for such a spotlight announcement at a toy show. I think it's a new sculpt and that, as has been discussed, Ford's just a likeness Kim is incapable of nailing. As other have also said, this has me highly concerned about the upcoming Reeve Superman. "Good enough," at this price point, isn't acceptable.

You have a valid point, I asked myself the same thing. Is this the original sculpt or a new one? I would think Kim would want to start off at Hot Toys with a new one, no? Does anyone have pictures of the original that we can compare to the "new" one?

Agreed that it would be stupid, but they just look so awefully similar, even the little hair bits on his temples.

While we don't think it looks great, I could see HT liking Kim's sculpt, since they hired him, and just using it to save time since it's already done. Or they wanted to rush a proto out and used that temporarily knowing they'd revise it. They revise sculpts fairly frequently these days, so I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted something just to start orders, even if it's not good, and make it even better during production. How many figures are tweaked where you wonder, why not just wait to put out the prototype until you have the better figure.

Here's a few good shots of the Kim Indy.

sal5.jpg

2hro8q9.jpg

Doesn't look like the same sculpt to me. Granted the paints are night and day better on the prototype, but there're aspects of it that are clearly different than Kim's earlier Indy. :dunno

Batman's different though, people are happy with the look of the figure, he just had QC issues. When people love how a figure looks enough, they'll take gambles on QC problems. Indy is begin met with a lukewarm reception because of how the figure is being made. People won't gamble serious money on a figure they don't like looking at.

If this is close to what the final figure looks like I hope that does happen.
But I think there are enough HT junkies that it'll still sell. Seems like the only HT figures that don't sell are the ones from seriously unpopular licenses.
We'll see, and I do hope I'm wrong. Right now this doesn't even look like an average HT figure.

Unless this figure is a big success, which it doesn't seem like it's going to be at the moment, at least compared to other HT figures, this could easily be the one and only HT Indy figure.

Hopefully HT would produce 1 Indy figure only. I don't need another HT Indy Jones in my collection..just 1 will do.

Anyway, overall the figure is lookin' great IMHO. I know the HS is a little bit off but hey HT can still improved this figure! Q3 2011 is a long long time to get this figure in right or I say perfect shape! :wink1:

One other nit is Harrison was NEVER this buff in Raiders. He didn't hit the weights until before ToD. They would have been fine with a Narrow Shoulder.

actually on facebook. arnie kim comments that he is going back to resculpt the indiana jones head again..this is not the final result...if it would stay like this as it is right now.. i would save my money because it can be better.. arnie kim knows that and so does hot toys..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back