Hot Toys DX15 Captain Jack Sparrow (Dead Men Tell No Tales)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered this as a gift for my sister's 30th Birthday. Shes a huge Depp Fan and...I want to see how it looks in person too! :monkey3

the disney store online has him in stock with free shipping right now with their discount code

I was tempted to go for this, but then I read the shipping section and it says allow 2-3 weeks for shipping, so it seems like they'll probably get stock in around the same time as other U.S. retailers so I decided to keep my BBTS order, I have no experience with Disney customer service and I know BBTS will take care of me if there's a problem, when I got my DX06 the smirk head had the whole tip of his nose paint chipped off when it arrived, not sure how reliable HT QC is these days, but need to know someone has my back if something's wrong.

Also received the SS email.

Can
Not
Wait
!

Was it the 30 day notice or something else?

-----------------------

Found some more comparison pics online.

It's amazing how even the smallest accessories actually got a quality upgrade from the DX06, really thought they'd just recycle it all again.

0_1903ca_6eb1f6e2_orig

0_1903cb_2da456f0_orig

0_1903cc_d872efa3_orig

0_1903cd_c69d1e45_orig

0_1903ce_474fae4d_orig

0_1903cf_58897976_orig

0_1903d0_439c42c4_orig

0_1903d1_7b22430d_orig

0_1903d2_d4344b14_orig

It's weird how the old one and new polarize each other. On the old one the lips of the smirk sculpt of the old one is more depp, while the serious face was less depp. On the new one it's the opposite. Interesting.

The comparison really shows how much a small thing can make a difference, the two smirk faces are nearly identical, but on the DX06, the mustache on the right side makes ever so slightly a different shape that makes it feel more like a smirk where DX15's shape gives more of a slight smile quality. Minimal enough where I no longer feel compelled to obtain the old DX06 smirk head to add to my DX15, they're basically the same with DX15 having better Depp likeness. The comparison pics really highlight how big lighting is, the smirk head looks really good there but in some full figure shots, the smirk head can look not only unlike Depp, but almost creepy.

It's weird how the old one and new polarize each other. On the old one the lips of the smirk sculpt of the old one is more depp, while the serious face was less depp. On the new one it's the opposite. Interesting.
I agree. I'll keep using my smirk for both my DX06s and serious on the DX15. Seeing those boxes next to each other I'd really love to see a whole line with all movies. Need a DX Sparrow from Black Pearl, Dead Man's Chest and At World's End. My OCD showing there...but I'd display them all. Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The hair is looking much better in recent shots. All of it's super impressive. Really can't wait to have it in hand.

Well, Hot Toys figures in general, and especially Jack Sparrow, aren't going to come right out of their boxes looking their best. They need to be properly futzed and adjusted to make them really shine, and unfortunately when a figure first comes out, a lot of photos we get are from the first recipients who are more excited to get the figure and happy enough with it out of the box that they shoot it as is, and it can cause panic, but when you see shots from those who put the time and care into it and see a figure's potential, then people tend to calm down.

The hair hasn't bothered me at all in any shots because I look past it, knowing I'll have to work to make it look good and having faith it can be done.

Well, Hot Toys figures in general, and especially Jack Sparrow, aren't going to come right out of their boxes looking their best. They need to be properly futzed and adjusted to make them really shine, and unfortunately when a figure first comes out, a lot of photos we get are from the first recipients who are more excited to get the figure and happy enough with it out of the box that they shoot it as is, and it can cause panic, but when you see shots from those who put the time and care into it and see a figure's potential, then people tend to calm down.

The hair hasn't bothered me at all in any shots because I look past it, knowing I'll have to work to make it look good and having faith it can be done.
I've been hairing my figures for awhile now. Even added hair to one of my DX06 Sparrows. It's some work but I'm not worried about trying to get the hair to look right.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It has the X and the eyebrow scars, is there some other scar you're looking for?

Yes, the open wound that Jack always has (for some unexplained reason) on the lower right side of the face. You don't see it on the DX6? It's a circle. I wasn't looking for it, it's just that I didn't see it.

NHfjWTY.jpg
In8n4Ed.jpg

The new sculpt is such a better Depp. I love my DX06 but I never quite thought it had an amazing likeness. This really shows why.

Too bad the new smirk looks more like a weak smile instead of a wily smirk. But for those with both, you have a 3rd option expression.

The new serious face is my fav right now.

Yes, the open wound that Jack always has (for some unexplained reason) on the lower right side of the face. You don't see it on the DX6? It's a circle. I wasn't looking for it, it's just that I didn't see it.

Ah, okay, never really understood what that mark is and didn't think of it as a scar, it's there, but it runs a little more on the underside of his jawline so it doesn't stand out as much.

The new sculpt is such a better Depp. I love my DX06 but I never quite thought it had an amazing likeness. This really shows why.

Too bad the new smirk looks more like a false smile. 3rd version look I guess.

Prior to this figure, I thought DX06 was amazing, I got some great shots out of it, and it certainly was the best Sparrow ever produced, and the early HT, other than the Cannibal head, were so off, it was just exciting to finally have a good sculpt. As with anything, time has allowed for refined skills and improvement.

It's been a journey and Kojun Jack Sparrow has always been the grail for Sparrow collectors, starting with his private one.

kojunsparrow01.jpg

kojunsparrow02.jpg

kojunsparrow03.jpg

This is his third go at Jack, and the practice has paid off.

Prior to this figure, I thought DX06 was amazing, I got some great shots out of it, and it certainly was the best Sparrow ever produced, and the early HT, other than the Cannibal head, were so off, it was just exciting to finally have a good sculpt. As with anything, time has allowed for refined skills and improvement.

Looks like the more accurate nose, besides other subtle refinements, really brings Depp out.

face comp.jpg

Really night and day. People who missed the all-mighty DX06 should be very, very happy.

Got mine yesterday, had to walk through a blizzard to get it as post vans weren't out.

Back