Hot Toys Man Of Steel Teaser

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but the conception of what the ideal body should look like has evolved.
Different styles for different times.

Not true at all. The "ideal" body type is a matter of opinion. There are as many different body building looks back then as there are now. Some people prefer the more lean shredded look while others prefer the bulky more mass look.

Last edited:
Some posters here said before this figure should be revealed soon and possibly have the figure OUT by the time of the movies release.I think thats a great idea and they should do that! The movie has been in production for a long time, we all know what the costume looks like, it be nice to have this guy in hand by the time we all see the movie. Its plausable.

That's when bodybuilding was at its peak.:lol:dunno
There weren't many Arnolds and Sly Stallones running around back then. Nowadays, you see hugely built guys all over the place. Compare the average NFL player or pro wrestler from 1980 to their average counterpart today. That is a function of the changes I am referring to.

There weren't many Arnolds and Sly Stallones running around back then. Nowadays, you see hugely built guys all over the place. Compare the average NFL player or pro wrestler from 1980 to their average counterpart today. That is a function of the changes I am referring to.

I disagree, I remember a ton of guys that were into bodybuilding back in the 80's. I think the difference is nowadays you see more people body building/weight lifting (especially teens) because it's more of a "trend" than an actual sport like it used to be.

The difference is in how easy/difficult it is to achieve that look. How many movie stars, or even athletes who weren't competitive body-builders had that kind of look back in the 70s and 80s? Very few, and I say it is because it was much harder to do. Christian Bale gained X pounds of muscle for Batman in a matter of months. How? Some cocktail of diet, nutrition, and probably steroids. You never saw that in the late 70s because it took a heck of a lot more work to get there (Deniro gained fat that way, but. . .).

Didn't Snyder say that when they were testing Cavill they put him in a Reeve suit? That's something I'd like to see. Maybe on the Blu-ray :D

I'm pretty much sold on this figure, I was hoping for a teaser when we got the trailer. The suit is growing on me, as is Cavill. As hard as it is for someone who grew up with Reeve as Superman, I'm finally digesting the new take and am really excited to see the movie and having my Cavill Supes next to Reeve. I hope they do a good job with the cape, it looks awesome in the trailers. And hopefully not a full rubber suit.

The difference is in how easy/difficult it is to achieve that look. How many movie stars, or even athletes who weren't competitive body-builders had that kind of look back in the 70s and 80s? Very few, and I say it is because it was much harder to do. Christian Bale gained X pounds of muscle for Batman in a matter of months. How? Some cocktail of diet, nutrition, and probably steroids. You never saw that in the late 70s because it took a heck of a lot more work to get there (Deniro gained fat that way, but. . .).

I think its the exact opposite. Steroids were used MUCH more heavily in the 70's and 80's. A lot of them probably didn't have that "look" because they didn't want to. Christian Bale probably did take steroids for BB, but hes one of the few. People in 2012 prefer gaining muscle mass the traditional way, without roids and everything else. That's part of the reason no one looks as big as they did back then. Everyone and there mom took roids back in the 80's. :lol

I think its the exact opposite. Steroids were used MUCH more heavily in the 70's and 80's. A lot of them probably didn't have that "look" because they didn't want to.
Well that's pretty baffling if true, considering that the guy in Hollywood who did have that look (Arnold) was about 100 times more successful than many other great actors that never followed suit because they didn't want to. Same with pro wrestlers, who you would expect to do anything to succeed vs. their peers in the looks department. You had Bruno Sammartino, Hulk Hogan, Paul Orndorff, and a handful of others with that look, while most looked like some guy. The guys I specifically mention made millions, main eventing pay per views, while many of these other guys got ignored and eventually forgotten by most (with some obvious exceptions). Today, you get guys like the Miz who can transform into Hogan-lite in a matter of months.

But again, I'm not just talking about steroids. You've got supplements, and the science of diet and nutrition (bolstered by uncounted millions of dollars pouring in from professional sports) that have facilitated research advances there.

Why is this thread in the movie section? :dunno

Good question. There's already a Man of Steel thread in here.
Just seems appropriate considering the Nolan connections to introduce a little chaos here.

Moving the threads was a mistake on my part. Someone should be around to move it back. . .at some point.

Well that's pretty baffling if true, considering that the guy in Hollywood who did have that look (Arnold) was about 100 times more successful than many other great actors that never followed suit because they didn't want to. Same with pro wrestlers, who you would expect to do anything to succeed vs. their peers in the looks department. You had Bruno Sammartino, Hulk Hogan, Paul Orndorff, and a handful of others with that look, while most looked like some guy. The guys I specifically mention made millions, main eventing pay per views, while many of these other guys got ignored and eventually forgotten by most (with some obvious exceptions). Today, you get guys like the Miz who can transform into Hogan-lite in a matter of months.

But again, I'm not just talking about steroids. You've got supplements, and the science of diet and nutrition (bolstered by uncounted millions of dollars pouring in from professional sports) that have facilitated research advances there.

How is it not true? Body-building was taken much more seriously back then, than it is now. As Ive said nowadays it's much more of a "trend" than anything else. Steroid use in the 70's/80's was about as common as whey protein use is now. :lol many actors back then weren't built because it wasn't a trend, nowadays being built is just the norm for Hollywood actors and such. If anything it was much ''easier" to do in 70's/80's because roids werent frowned upon like they're now.

How is it not true?

It would be odd. . .

. . .considering that the guy in Hollywood who did have that look (Arnold) was about 100 times more successful than many other great actors that never followed suit because they didn't want to.

As for being frowned upon nowadays, I don't see that at all. Apart from its use in the Olympics, cycling, and Major League Baseball, steroid use seems encouraged and, at worse, treated with indifference (see the response, or lack thereof to Sly Stallone's admission a year or two back)

It would be odd. . .

As for being frowned upon nowadays, I don't see that at all. Apart from its use in the Olympics, cycling, and Major League Baseball, steroid use seems encouraged and, at worse, treated with indifference (see the response, or lack thereof to Sly Stallone's admission a year or two back)

It would be odd if it were true? It would be odd if it wasn't true.....

:lol Did you grow up in the 80's? Every other guy at the gym was on roids. How is steroid use encouraged Now? It's illegal and banned from every major sport in the country.

Let's get back on topic shall we. :wink1:

Last edited:

Stallone used HGH to get in shape for Balboa, RAMBO and no doubt the Expendables. Vegan boy Toby ate the hell out of tofu to get ripped for Spider-Man. Gotta wonder what Reynolds and Biel did to get in shape for Blade Trinity. Then there's Jackman too. :lol

:lol Did you grow up in the 80's? Every other guy at the gym was on roids. How is steroid use encouraged Now? It's illegal and banned from every major sport in the country.
Enforcement efforts in the NFL are a farce of the worst kind. And in wrestling, guys like Rey Mysterio and Eddie Guerrero had to juice heavily to have any shot at a world championship.

Not true at all. The "ideal" body type is a matter of opinion. There are as many different body building looks back then as there are now. Some people prefer the more lean shredded look while others prefer the bulky more mass look.

I don't know how old you are or if you even read comics or how much you know about movies but the canons have changed a lot in the past 50 years.
If you don't believe me just look at Neal Adams' Batman and compare it to today's renditions.
You've heard about Neal right?
As I said, the ideal body type never ceased to evolve.
Even body builders look different.
Chris Reeve was a built guy, Cavill is bigger, different times different audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back