Hot Toys MMS 692 + 693 BATMAN (1989) 1/6 scale Batman 2.0

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reasons for no Jacks is probably likeness rights but also the fact that the original line didn't sell very well. They over produced the DX08 so the DX14 came of it. And that one sold even less. Beats me why they didn't do well...i woulda thought Batman 89 was very popular.

Yah man, like you said they were overproduced during a slower time in the hobby and Marvel/Iron Man was picking up steam. I'm struggling to think of any grails (or former grails) that were hard to obtain at the time of release. The Mime as great as it is probably should have been a exclusive with Museum following the original release. Even then, not sure how it would have done without production adjustments. Those Joker figures were also kind of expensive for the time.

Then they flooded the market and could be had for fairly cheap and in the case of Mime a outright steal.

It appears we are going back to the days of lower production with a lot of figures not even making it to stock so we'll have some new grails coming up with this figure being included in that. Warts and all.

That is until they re-release them again in the future.

Same here, will be a good Halloween treat if he swings it.

Bloodied faceplate realistically our only option as nobody seems interested in quickly printing some up, dumbfounded by that.

I can’t pay $300 for a cowl plus paint if it’s not entirely screen accurate either, that’s throwing good money after bad and the suit would still need a swap to only be marginally more accurate than its absence.

The paint of Unreals looks unreal and the replacement faceplates still undersell his likeness. I know it’s a fresh project with updates to be done.

All in all -

Custom sculpt - $300+
Custom paint from different artist - $400+
DX09 $400+
MMS693 $350
Custom cape $70

That’s right at $1,600 USD for something somewhat passable, is that worth it for this is my question.
thats one thing that irks me is his paint, I half considered asking for a blank.

I'm still uncertain if he uses decals for the eyes like oaty but the sculpt itself looks to be an improvement enough to justify the 310 price tag completed, just not too fond of his paint work. i don't think I wanna go through the hassle or care enough to send it off to another artist to get painted up when its most likely just for the faceplates and eyes. maybe it'll bother me down the road but I honestly don't care rn. just throw the money and save the headache for another day. that's for later me to worry about

as of rn, the only thing kinda killing it for me is how the eyes look. they don't seem that realistic. i do like rolling eyes so that's a plus in the custom scene, just hopefully the sticks arent thin like oaty's. but who knows, maybe I can pop it out and put hot toy's in.

i think its the iris/pupils being a little too large that throws it off for me, but the rest, no complaints at least at a glance

It’s easy enough with painting, you paint features exactly how they appear. Sculpting should be the same, how isn’t something revised until the likeness is captured? The fact we can’t get figures close to even this artist poster art is a shame.

IMG_3438.jpeg

The face and eyes protrude from the Unreal cowl too much, reminds me of Affleck.

1723438549814.png
1723438568847.png

way too good. i think i gotta double dip and get both. repainting mars toy's sculpts wouldn't be too bad either

hot toys really fumbled the ball with this release imo. even from the start it didn't look great. for however long it took them to do the 2.0, I expected more from them.

The face and eyes protrude from the Unreal cowl too much, reminds me of Affleck.
yeah I can see that especially comparing to the poster but I think this is the old sample, he's gonna make a new one so hopefully those changes can be made

IMG_3439.png

No hat for me all the way, I wanna see that likeness. I’ll take my chances on the real material DX08 hat fitting onto that hair. Hopefully he’ll improve the sculpted hair as that’s the most obvious lacking here.

Got $370 left on JazzInc, between that, this, and the Yunsil Nicholson suit, it softens the blow of this Keaton attempt.

im sure itll be fixed. he's working on napier first, but so far the face and likeness is miles better than donfung's.

the only thing maybe stopping me from getting the hat is no coat combo for the parade scene. was there even a plan to include a coat or that just got tossed out because of the price tag

66f98c880a7fdcf35620bbbfb8eebd24e6bfab48.gifv

I drafted the eyes to how I want it but so far all I've seen, I haven't exactly liked any of the painted at all or rooted hair for him

new.jpg

IMG_3341.jpeg

Make use of the Cathedral base by tossing the DX08 hat, outer coat, flower and handkerchief on the gargoyle like another member pointed out here. While having the custom suit on the figure showing off this sculpt. Also would throw battle damaged Keaton with this display instead of near the Batmobile if we can’t do anything about the likeness and suit.

I really, really hope Finwee’s sculpt happens. If it gets canned I’ll sell the custom suit.

And there’s no way anyone else will step in and make another Nicholson Joker sculpt nearly as good - it’s all Ledger. It’s always Ledger. Marsha, Marsha, Marsha. Mars Toys’ Romero was an absolute miracle.

I really, really hope Finwee’s sculpt happens. If it gets canned I’ll sell the custom suit.

And there’s no way anyone else will step in and make another Nicholson Joker sculpt nearly as good - it’s all Ledger. It’s always Ledger.
Well since he’s apart of the run with us the likelihood of him following through is higher than someone from outside the project.

He’s a collector like us so he’ll want to see it through for his own Yunsil suit. In any case, that custom suit is coming home. We may get more Nicholson, but we won’t get a higher quality ensemble than her suit.

My enthusiasm for this figure has nosedived after the past week. Better eyeballs, no hatch on the back of the head and a ratchet body (which a museum pose collector has no real use for) being the only improvements on the figure itself. Everything else is pretty much the same or fecking downgraded from DX09. The diorama base is therefore the biggest draw for someone who already has DX09. Buying that base separately likely won't be sensible. Hmmm.

View attachment 719601

No hat for me all the way, I wanna see that likeness. I’ll take my chances on the real material DX08 hat fitting onto that hair. Hopefully he’ll improve the sculpted hair as that’s the most obvious lacking here.

Got $370 left on JazzInc, between that, this, and the Yunsil Nicholson suit, it softens the blow of this Keaton attempt.
Another excellent Nicholson sculpt there. Who did that one?

View attachment 719601

jack nicholson joker GIF by Maudit

It really is a shame that this isn't as good as it could be, i think all the Batman 89 figures were some of the finest HT figures ever made. There's a certain kinda feeling to them where they just kinda struck gold first time around, where as all TDK trilogy attempts over the years and they still don't beat out those 89 figures imo. Like maybe there's some bias, but i really do feel that they did so well with these figures and were met with widespread love pretty much.

Another excellent Nicholson sculpt there. Who did that one?
A collector who’s been along the ride with us for years, Finwee. He’s apparently been caught up with school and hasn’t been able to focus on it as much but I still feel he’ll deliver. He’s on the Yunsil 89 Joker run which should wrap up any month now.

My enthusiasm for this figure has nosedived after the past week. Better eyeballs, no hatch on the back of the head and a ratchet body (which a museum pose collector has no real use for) being the only improvements on the figure itself. Everything else is pretty much the same or fecking downgraded from DX09. The diorama base is therefore the biggest draw for someone who already has DX09. Buying that base separately likely won't be sensible. Hmmm.
Exactly same here! I have DX09 and still love it, but if this 2.0 was better I would buy it anyway, but thats not this case apparently... These figures are expensive AF, so I want quality. I know there always be some issues, but this exaggerated batsuit texture would be striking to my eyes everytime I looked at the figure. Even DX09 has exaggerated texture, but this new one is really too much. Its not in 1/6 scale but rather 6/1. If it is really so difficult to Google up few reference photos to see how real batsuit looks like, then HT can go f... themselves. Only if that base wasnt so cool...

Fins a great guy and huge credit to the community. He's one of the best upcoming artists if not a top artist already!
At this point he needs to have a go at 89 Keaton, I’d prefer faceplates but if his cowl is as good as his Nicholson, I’m in.

2.0 has the same issue. The 89 cowl is pretty bulky, so the edges should appear thicker, and Keaton eyes and mouth should be more recessed.
Yeah it’s like we can’t seem to build a proper one with all of the hurdles no one was expecting to this degree. Really wanted something good to go with the JazzInc Batmobile.

I don’t know whether to cancel, or hold out for either amazing custom options or HT to fix the issues with a proper batch. Neither of which are convincing me if I’m being honest. Everything is off in every direction I’ve looked, I want undeniable HD Keaton on a 2024 level figure.

Back