Hot Toys MMS243 - 1/6th scale Captain America & Steve Rogers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Hot Toys sold their own accessories I wouldn't have to resort to buying knockoffs. If it's a choice between a near genuine article for $25 or the real deal for $70-$80 on ebay, I'd rather pick up 3 for the price of one.

I'm claiming ignorance here as I don't see how buying these shields would hurt Hot Toys' bottom line in any way. I, like most of us, will be buying one or all of the Winter Soldier Cap figures. Many have been clamoring for the standard red, white and blue shield to be included with the Strike figure. Seeing as how we're only getting the powder blue and severely damaged versions, we now have the option for the one we actually want.

I'm surprised they are so cheap. Plastic shields are going for 3 to 4x the price, they could have easily charged a lot more than $24.

If Hot Toys sold their own accessories I wouldn't have to resort to buying knockoffs. If it's a choice between a near genuine article for $25 or the real deal for $70-$80 on ebay, I'd rather pick up 3 for the price of one.

I'm claiming ignorance here as I don't see how buying these shields would hurt Hot Toys' bottom line in any way. I, like most of us, will be buying one or all of the Winter Soldier Cap figures. Many have been clamoring for the standard red, white and blue shield to be included with the Strike figure. Seeing as how we're only getting the powder blue and severely damaged versions, we now have the option for the one we actually want.

I'm not speaking about this shield particularly, I'm speaking about the overall methods and mentality of these bootleg ops which comes across as unethical to many people; especially when their behavior affects the custom world.

well they are 'Official' Hot Toys shields I believe

This isn't official by any means, but that's not to say it will be a bad quality item. But this isn't what you get in the box from HT's factory. It's a recast with cheap straps attached

How are they going to do that?
China's booming economy *only* exists because the Chinese have no legal notion that counterfeiting is a bad thing.
There's next to no way to enforce copyright laws in mainland China.
That's true. Hot Toys could threaten to use different factories, though. The only issue there is that would be costly, and there are so many damn factories in China that I'm not sure the factory would care if HT left. And ultimately, I don't think this kind of thing hurts HT's bottom line enough for them to care.

Korea is politically and militarily beholden to the US. We can apply pressure there to enforce international norms. China... not so much.
While Korea is much more reliant on the U.S., I think the issue of enforcing laws comes down more to economics. U.S./Korean trade is really important to Korea, and that's where the U.S. could apply pressure if Korea didn't adhere to various commerce-related laws (though this is an implicit threat that I'm sure the U.S. doesn't have to explicitly make). It's actually in China's economic and political self-interest to purposefully thumb its nose at the U.S. on these issues.

That's true. Hot Toys could threaten to use different factories, though. The only issue there is that would be costly, and there are so many damn factories in China that I'm not sure the factory would care if HT left. And ultimately, I don't think this kind of thing hurts HT's bottom line enough for them to care.

While Korea is much more reliant on the U.S., I think the issue of enforcing laws comes down more to economics. U.S./Korean trade is really important to Korea, and that's where the U.S. could apply pressure if Korea didn't adhere to various commerce-related laws (though this is an implicit threat that I'm sure the U.S. doesn't have to explicitly make). It's actually in China's economic and political self-interest to purposefully thumb its nose at the U.S. on these issues.

I think HT's uses out side factories only for the Base bodies (bucks) and clothing, all the heads and stuff are hand done by them I thought, unless they get them cast in a factory and paint them themselves

The heads don't actually seem to be painted by hand anymore. At least not in all cases. But in either case, I would not assume that the casting was undertaken at the same factory where the painting took place.

The heads don't actually seem to be painted by hand anymore. At least not in all cases. But in either case, I would not assume that the casting was undertaken at the same factory where the painting took place.

Last fig I got with a flesh head was Zod, seems hand painted to me, though in a number of back stage photos theyve shown the heads being hand painted en mass with JC present, which is what led me to believe it was HT's home base so to speak

I'm referring to the last DX Joker, which you can see in macro photos has a texture that would not occur through hand painting. I think they were all hand painted in the past. It is possible some in the present still are painted, but I doubt that Joker was their only time doing it. And it's possible those hand painted were/are done at some HT headquarters where they can have more direct oversight of the process.

I'm referring to the last DX Joker, which you can see in macro photos has a texture that would not occur through hand painting. I think they were all hand painted in the past. It is possible some in the present still are painted, but I doubt that Joker was their only time doing it. And it's possible those hand painted were/are done at some HT headquarters where they can have more direct oversight of the process.

Oh yeah totally forgot about joker, I even owned him at one point :lol

Well, with these knockoff diecast shields, I will have to see what the final shipped product looks like in the hands of other collectors first and then I'll make my decision on whether I will make a purchase or not.

I almost never want more than one version of a character on my shelves, but I'm breaking my rule with Cap. I have the First Avenger figure and I pre-ordered a stealth suit figure as well. Just too cool not to. FA Cap will be getting a civilian Rogers head.

Back