Hot Toys MMS243 - 1/6th scale Captain America & Steve Rogers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...MJ12-1-6-Heath-Ledger-as-The-Joker-Headsculpt

That's right in the case of this Joker sculpt. It was a custom project with a small run, a recaster got a hold of it and will probably mass produce it at one of these factories, allowing folks to buy them, painted, for a fraction of the cost the folks who were on this forum initially paid. This is all a murky gray area when we start talking about figures being made without the attainment of proper licensing rights, but when a group starts harming custom artists, and ultimately custom collectors--through either recasting to begin with, or supporting recasting behavior as this company does--then I won't get behind it.

Was that seller selling bootlegs of the head you linked to?

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...MJ12-1-6-Heath-Ledger-as-The-Joker-Headsculpt

That's right in the case of this Joker sculpt. It was a custom project with a small run, a recaster got a hold of it and will probably mass produce it at one of these factories, allowing folks to buy them, painted, for a fraction of the cost the folks who were on this forum initially paid. This is all a murky gray area when we start talking about figures being made without the attainment of proper licensing rights, but when a group starts harming custom artists, and ultimately custom collectors--through either recasting to begin with, or supporting recasting behavior as this company does--then I won't get behind it.

1000% I can't stand yiyi-yaya and the rest of the pack of thieves out there with their "custom" crap. I thought that HT turned a blind eye to all of that because selling parts isn't their gig, but then I realized that this will start to affect them. With people like Poptoys and others putting out alternative outfits and all these recasted bootlegs going around for less than $40, it's creating a cheaper option to build certain characters.

The custom artists that get robbed unfortunately can do nothing but take their lumps, but HT is the licence holder. I hope one day this stings HT enough for them to slam the hammer on all these skells

1000% I can't stand yiyi-yaya and the rest of the pack of thieves out there with their "custom" crap. I thought that HT turned a blind eye to all of that because selling parts isn't their gig, but then I realized that this will start to affect them. With people like Poptoys and others putting out alternative outfits and all these recasted bootlegs going around for less than $40, it's creating a cheaper option to build certain characters.

The custom artists that get robbed unfortunately can do nothing but take their lumps, but HT is the licence holder. I hope one day this stings HT enough for them to slam the hammer on all these skells

How are they going to do that?
China's booming economy *only* exists because the Chinese have no legal notion that counterfeiting is a bad thing.
There's next to no way to enforce copyright laws in mainland China.

China's booming economy *only* exists because the Chinese have no legal notion that counterfeiting is a bad thing.

If the laws on this is different than in Korea, then I guess there's nothing to do. I know that American companies have threatened Korean customizers with C&D's so their not out of the reach of copyright laws. I don't know the facts but I'd imagine that China can't be the one place in the world that is Immune to C&D's

Yep, and these figures aren't even a teardrop in the ocean of Chinese knock offs. I've seen counterfeit high end bicycles that are almost indistinguishable from the real thing (until you ride them). A real Pinarello frame - *just* the frame - will cost you $5k, you can get the knockoffs for $500. And lets not even start with designer handbags and fashions. We're talking billions of dollars flowing into China.

No one is ever gonna notice a a few thousands dollars worth of action figure parts.

If the laws on this is different than in Korea, then I guess there's nothing to do. I know that American companies have threatened Korean customizers with C&D's so their not out of the reach of copyright laws. I don't know the facts but I'd imagine that China can't be the one place in the world that is Immune to C&D's

Korea is politically and militarily beholden to the US. We can apply pressure there to enforce international norms. China... not so much.

Yep, and these figures aren't even a teardrop in the ocean of Chinese knock offs. I've seen counterfeit high end bicycles that are almost indistinguishable from the real thing (until you ride them). A real Pinarello frame - *just* the frame - will cost you $5k, you can get the knockoffs for $500. And lets not even start with designer handbags and fashions. We're talking billions of dollars flowing into China.

No one is ever gonna notice a a few thousands dollars worth of action figure parts.

Copying the ideas of others, finding cheaper ways of producing a product which turns out to be lesser than the genuine article. Great for the global economy :lecture

:lol:lol Barry, why do you hate America so much? What did we ever do to you? We gave you the mythology which fills your detolfs and that you love so much. C'MOOON! We're not that bad!! :)

Back