Hot Toys rubber deterioration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
s7_018929_imageset_02

This has been mentioned a few times on this board. I forget who it was in the OC Bats thread but they were the one person arguing that this stuff was essentially snake oil; but I've read of a lot of car enthusiasts using this and they swear by it. I'd be interested to hear about anyone who has used this stuff and how happy (or not) they were with it.

Isn't this something similar with Armor All? I might use Armor All or my tires but not sure if I'd use it on my figures...

Isn't this something similar with Armor All? I might use Armor All or my tires but not sure if I'd use it on my figures...

I know nothing about it from experience, just going on what I read on the motor forums. A good portion of them write off Armorall but swear by 303. I've heard good arguments for and against but don't understand the chemistry well enough to pick a side.

s7_018929_imageset_02

This has been mentioned a few times on this board. I forget who it was in the OC Bats thread but they were the one person arguing that this stuff was essentially snake oil; but I've read of a lot of car enthusiasts using this and they swear by it. I'd be interested to hear about anyone who has used this stuff and how happy (or not) they were with it.

That is used to keep rubber and plastic parts looking shiney and new and has to keep being applied because the material does absorb it. It will not stop the chemical breakdown that is causing the leaking of recent HT rubber figures. I would not use this stuff on a figure.

had the medicom goku figure had it locked in a sealed case for two years.

and no rubber deterioration at all i just put the figures in and leave them alone .

So out of all the figures made from HT it seems the only problem they have had are MAINLY on the TDK figure and the Comedian figure? Not bad if you ask me from a company that makes toys. I agree though with some posters that in a day and age of the internet when one person has a problem either with a service or a product it get's blown out of proportion and is extremely over quantified.

I'm happy that people did not react like you when the bat dx started to leak oil.
I would not have a replacement now.
When i bought the Comedian, out of the box it had oil and melting suit.
I ,returned it to my seller and now he checked 4 figs and all of them are leaking.
I looked online and there were reports since May.
I then informed my fellow freaks and oh surprise many had the issue.
Thanks for the internet and annoying customers.

Have we gotten any official word from Hot Toys on the issue with Comedian yet? Mine is doing it as well, and I'm going to be bugging them about it from my side, but was interested if anyone had an 'official' statement yet.

Yup... the guys insinuating that the figures have to not be in an airtight vac sealed underground cave and not handled... that's not the problem here... we are talking about case fresh, mint figures showing signs of the problem while they are still in the package, never removed or touched... such is the case with Comedian and Batman.

Have we gotten any official word from Hot Toys on the issue with Comedian yet? Mine is doing it as well, and I'm going to be bugging them about it from my side, but was interested if anyone had an 'official' statement yet.

Not yet Michael. I too plan to bug them later today as well. We need to let them know this is a big problem now.

Well, I just sent a couple folks an email, and if plenty of folks mention it from different angles, they are more likely to sit up and take notice.

I've tried something recently on a silicon body (like the first HT Rambo), so not on rubber, but I know it works for silicon.

There was a slash that was very superficial, so what I did was prepare a tiny amount of silicon, the kind you use to make molds, then I put some of it on a piece of paper and inserted it in the slash to spread it evenly.

I closed the slash, removed the excess silicon and kept it shut with tape. The day after, the slash was firmly closed, still visible, like a scar, but no longer a dangerous zone.

I contacted them.
They did not denied the oil problem or offered a solution (like they did a t the beginning of the DX BAT oil gate). Just responded they had no replacement parts.
The problem is real. Mint figures have the problem.
I think that most of the people postin g here are serious collectors and now how to treat their figures correctly. So please no more excuses.
HT has problem with their QC.
Maybe since the DX and Comedian they changed methods and future releases will be ok.
But i don't see the arm to make it sure by informing about previous figures problems.

But if you're suit are fine, we're happy for you.
Let us lament and complain while you're having a blast.

Last edited:
i have this figure. in fact, most of my HT figures have rubber parts on them. so do a couple of my Sideshow figures. most are several years old and none of them show any signs of deterioration (knock on wood). i suspect, based on looking through collections on here that the deterioration issues are due to improper care. all of my figures are sealed away in display cases in a climate-controlled room. many, if not most collectors on here keep their figures out in open air and exposed to dust and/or sunlight. all of which will lead to rapid deterioration. bookshelves and deltofs are not designed to keep delicate/volatile materials like rubber safe from the elements. i don't expect my figures to last forever, but i'm definitely not seeing the rotting issues others on here are. if you're gonna own expensive collectibles, invest in proper displays for them. otherwise, you're just needlessly destroying them.

The issue here is not one of members not properly displaying theyre figures or exposing them to sunlight. The figures are coming out of unopened boxes damaged.

Jesus, it's so ____ing annoying that some people just are not listening in here. This is not about improper care or handling. These things are breaking down on a chemical level. Some out of their boxes.
Sure some people treat their figures like Hasbro action figures, but most people on here do not. So just cause it's not happening to you yet, everyone else is a dope?

Again, just so you know when you are saying something stupid:
These things are breaking down on a chemical level.

The issue here is not one of members not properly displaying theyre figures or exposing them to sunlight. The figures are coming out of unopened boxes damaged.

I'm sure the pole squatters would just find some other reason, "improper retailer storage," or "sat too long in the cargo ship on the way over" or, "UPS man put a voodoo curse on them," or some other bull____ than concede that the all mighty Hot Toys is not as infallible as they think.

Back