Hot Toys rubber deterioration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm no rubber expert, but they are different types of rubber. I have no worries about deterioration on any of my true types. Those seem more plastic. The rubber body on Hellboy, for example, is a more cushion type rubber. That type seems like it's more vulnerable to falling apart.
Thanks very much for the reply! I didn't have enough figures to make a comparison, so that really helps me. I was putting off ordering some figures until I got some info like this! :D

I'm no rubber expert, but they are different types of rubber. I have no worries about deterioration on any of my true types. Those seem more plastic. The rubber body on Hellboy, for example, is a more cushion type rubber. That type seems like it's more vulnerable to falling apart.

that's odd. i've heard of fading issue with HB body paint, not much about it falling apart. i think there were more issues with its legs getting busted easily than the muscle body itself. :dunno

I have a Soviet gas mask from the 60's-70's and it is in perfect condition. Wish HT to use a similar rubber for their figures.

Now that you mention it I also have an old gas mask that is decades old too and it is still in almost perfect condition.
I don't even take extremely good care of it or anything I got it for a costume years ago and the mask still looks perfect

that's odd. i've heard of fading issue with HB body paint, not much about it falling apart. i think there were more issues with its legs getting busted easily than the muscle body itself. :dunno

I haven't read anything about it falling apart either, but it's the only real all-rubber body I own that I'm concerned about. All the other rubber bodies ie. Dutch, Sonny, etc. (that I own) I can find suitable replacement bodies. HB sadly will require more effort on my part to replace. On the good front HB isn't falling apart or fading. He's been displayed, put away in the garage, displayed, and put away several times.
So just to shorten my ramblings; no breakdown with HB body.

Oh wow, saw the Leonidas a few pages back...hope this doesn't happen to Hulk.
:(

All of this has made me wonder what the arms of Big Jims were made of back in the 70's. Because those were composed of rubber and I've seen them intact through all sorts of conditions and they got flexed alot!

Haven't read through this entire thread, so I apologize if this has been asked before, but is there anything that can be done to stop/ slow/ reverse the process of rubber deterioration on my action figures? For example, a sealant tht can be used to coat rubber parts and prevents or greatly slow the process of the rubber parts drying out?

Haven't read through this entire thread, so I apologize if this has been asked before, but is there anything that can be done to stop/ slow/ reverse the process of rubber deterioration on my action figures? For example, a sealant tht can be used to coat rubber parts and prevents or greatly slow the process of the rubber parts drying out?

I think it was TheBatmanProfessor who recommended this:

303_protectant_1.jpg

If my memory isn't totally shot, he coated his OC Batsuit in it and made a good case for why it would be effective. It is NOT Armorall though, keep clear of that stuff.

Anyone tried that stuff on their Leonidas? I'm guessing the paint would vanish like a fart on a windy day. :(

The rubber suit on my DX09 Keaton batman is already starting to deteriorate. I found a crack on the left shoulder area. It is only 2 years old. I wonder how long before it totally disintegrates.

I know you said you tried earlier but do you think you can have a go at it once more, henny? The pics, I mean. Lots of people have this figure and this is the first time we've heard of something like this, at least I know I have. Are you sure its cracking and not very distressed from being posed?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2

I know you said you tried earlier but do you think you can have a go at it once more, henny? The pics, I mean. Lots of people have this figure and this is the first time we've heard of something like this, at least I know I have. Are you sure its cracking and not very distressed from being posed?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2

It's more obvious when you stretch the rubber, which I do not want to do as it may crack even more. The problem is the rubber is all black so I can't get it to show up in the pictures. Is it worth putting some of my Pellgun oil which I use for my airgun rubber seals?

I got a DX09 spare body which I bought for cheap a year and a half ago. I read about the Armor All avoidance and I thought of boldly using the spare body as a guinea pig for it. Been using Armor All for it since August 2012, every 4-6 weeks, and still no signs of drying up/cracking so far. Never had it in extreme poses for too long, though, and I'm still not saying that the Armor-All fear could be wrong, as I think it's still fairly short a time and I don't think I could try it on other figures as it's only the DX09 body I have a spare of.

EDIT: Since I saw Batman Prof's testimonial with photos regarding 303 Aerospace, I've been on the lookout for it. Any stores in the US (around NY or CA) where it could be easily purchased? Having it shipped here is ridiculously expensive, I'll just look for it next time I'm in the US.

I got a DX09 spare body which I bought for cheap a year and a half ago. I read about the Armor All avoidance and I thought of boldly using the spare body as a guinea pig for it. Been using Armor All for it since August 2012, every 4-6 weeks, and still no signs of drying up/cracking so far. Never had it in extreme poses for too long, though, and I'm still not saying that the Armor-All fear could be wrong, as I think it's still fairly short a time and I don't think I could try it on other figures as it's only the DX09 body I have a spare of.

EDIT: Since I saw Batman Prof's testimonial with photos regarding 303 Aerospace, I've been on the lookout for it. Any stores in the US (around NY or CA) where it could be easily purchased? Having it shipped here is ridiculously expensive, I'll just look for it next time I'm in the US.

I've seen it on Amazon. Not sure if that's a help or not.

Back