InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Aragorn 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, thanks!:)

The closeups help a lot - you're right, the fabric has a flow to it, as well as some wrinkling that seems more like linen than wool (as opposed to the Elven cloaks and Thorin's cloak which I think are wool). And I think finding a strong weave linen will be easier to find than a very fine, thin, wool but it's been a while since I tried to source fabric. Also the ragged edges I think are more characteristic of linen or maybe cotton.

I'm not paying InArt for something that should have been included in the box; if they even offer the cloak. Still irritated as I know when the fig gets here I'd expected to kit him out Ranger style, out of the box; now I've got some hours of work ahead. :pfft:

Now I just hope I get a decent head of hair; looks like that's gonna need some work as well tho am less worried about that.

Looking at cloak patterns - as amazing as customizers are - for anyone handy not sure it's worth getting a custom job. Didn't know until yesterday but reading about "medieval" cloaks - a lot of them seemed pretty basic and/or randomly pieced together. Aragorn's cloak looks pretty beat up without a lot of shape.

The "custom" I'd like to hear from are the painters - what makes a sculpt look older? IMO this sculpt to me still looks too young.

That's why it would be a pretty simple tailoring job. And if an artist was willing to do a run could bring the cost down to a pretty affordable price imo.

That's why it would be a pretty simple tailoring job. And if an artist was willing to do a run could bring the cost down to a pretty affordable price imo.
I wouldn't object to buying a custom piece, as assume customizers know to get the small stitched seams done e.g. keep to scale. Off proportions in costume telegraph "doll" vs. "art figure"

Plus, these days I don't have time to sit down and make a custom cape. But I'd be wary of the price after seeing some of the costs for custom Joker pieces. It's one thing if you WANT to enhance a figure (like I've gotten random pieces for Thorin like a 1/6 mug for a Bree scene, or picking up a horse and tack). It's another if you feel like you are covering for an inadequacy in a pricey figure. :(

Re the red shirt - not something I was thinking about - haven't looked into it, but wouldn't any 1/6 red Henley work? I have one from a Winter Soldier; like a lot of red dyes this one ran dye all over when I rinsed it.:eek:

Last edited:
This photo from MojoMonkey makes Aragorn look really good too. I think people skip noticing because all three are there.

MojoMonkey 9-11-24.jpg

I wouldn't object to buying a custom piece, as assume customizers know to get the small stitched seams done e.g. keep to scale. Off proportions in costume telegraph "doll" vs. "art figure"

Plus, these days I don't have time to sit down and make a custom cape. But I'd be wary of the price after seeing some of the costs for custom Joker pieces.

I think this is sure to pop up relatively soon. Probably from the usual suspects like Jaxon Hu assuming InArt won't want to eliminate the incentive of the buy direct option by offering this item a la carte (in other words doubtful). But as other's have mentioned, this should not be a difficult piece of wardrobe to recreate by anyone who works in this space.

Hey, thanks!:)

The closeups help a lot - you're right, the fabric has a flow to it, as well as some wrinkling that seems more like linen than wool (as opposed to the Elven cloaks and Thorin's cloak which I think are wool). And I think finding a strong weave linen will be easier to find than a very fine, thin, wool but it's been a while since I tried to source fabric. Also the ragged edges I think are more characteristic of linen or maybe cotton.

I'm not paying InArt for something that should have been included in the box; if they even offer the cloak. Still irritated as I know when the fig gets here I'd expected to kit him out Ranger style, out of the box; now I've got some hours of work ahead. :pfft:

Now I just hope I get a decent head of hair; looks like that's gonna need some work as well tho am less worried about that.

Looking at cloak patterns - as amazing as customizers are - for anyone handy not sure it's worth getting a custom job. Didn't know until yesterday but reading about "medieval" cloaks - a lot of them seemed pretty basic and/or randomly pieced together. Aragorn's cloak looks pretty beat up without a lot of shape.

The "custom" I'd like to hear from are the painters - what makes a sculpt look older? IMO this sculpt to me still looks too young.
If you look at the sides of the cloak, especially in the scenes where he is moving around in it, they actually stop around the wrists which means it's actually more of a poncho than a full length cloak. The front and back are definitely longer.

You are correct though, medieval cloaks are very simple to make. It's essentially one big circle with a cut up front, another circle for the neck area then the hood attached. Should be a very simple job if you can bothered. I'm gonna try it when I receive my figure.

lotr1-movie-screencaps.com-7702.jpg

Last edited:
If you look at the sides of the cloak, especially in the scenes where he is moving around in it, they actually stop around the wrists which means it's actually more of a poncho than a full length cloak. The front and back are definitely longer.

You are correct though, medieval cloaks are very simple to make. It's essentially one big circle with a cut up front, another circle for the neck area then the hood attached. Should be a very simple job if you can bothered. I'm gonna try it when I receive my figure.
I'll have to study it more - it would have been easier IMO if it WERE a poncho like Star Wars Qui-Gon.

Myself, can't stand 1/6 cloaks that always seem to be too tight across the shoulders. Always appreciated the volume of material ASMUS uses. Aragorn definitely had some volume and flow to the fabric, being able to easily wrap it around himself. So I'm thinking there might be some gathered material in there at the neck. Maybe. Hard to tell without playing with the material.

Although, too, IMO it'd be a shame not to show off that shirring of the gray shirt, at least that was put in. And the vambraces. Think I'd like to pick up a bay horse at some point too.

So the InArt cloak is wrong after all that!? :lol

Mine is sitting at 120700, how long do you think that will take?
Really thinking about it, I don't think it will be as long as one might think. Yes it's in the 120's but how many of those orders between 96000 and 120000 are something else? Aragorn wasn't listed for much of that time from when it first went up for preorder and any other times it went up. InArt Superman and InArt Potter both dropped between that time plus many other figures.

I really shot myself in the foot by also ordering a standard. Gotta wait for those to release before my Premiums will ship now!

So I posted looking to buy the Ranger Cloak on the OSRBST group. Here's my first offer. View attachment 725084
The only acceptable response to this is
1726090078165.gif

Aragorn looks so great it's made my later-batch Gandalf look less impressive by comparison. I still find InArt's hand peg system to be pretty useless, never clear when a firm connection has been made unlike a typical peg -- setup the sword-holding hand on Aragorn just to have it fall out while holding the sword. Really doesn't seem like an improvement.

I don't understand any of the InArt magnet systems. They just don't seem to work.
Joker forearms made sense and provided a clean easy attachment, but it doesn't work for hands when you want to angle them and need to apply pressure and make sure things are secure when holding heavier diecast weapons and whatnot. The snap when a typical hand is placed on a peg fully is pretty key since you can't always see the connection with sleeves and whatnot.

I imagine they'd be embarrassed to drop the system and switch to standard pegs though. Don't get me started on the stands.

Back