InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Aragorn 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to be honest, I am starting to think that based on the photos being shown I should have gone for the sculpted hair version rather than the rooted hair version I ordered. The sculpted hair version looks so good and paying ~$150 extra for something that doesn’t look as good (unless you are very proficient reshaping the hair) is what’s giving me second thoughts.

Got to be honest, I am starting to think that based on the photos being shown I should have gone for the sculpted hair version rather than the rooted hair version I ordered. The sculpted hair version looks so good and paying ~$150 extra for something that doesn’t look as good (unless you are very proficient reshaping the hair) is what’s giving me second thoughts.

It really won’t take much work to improve it ten fold.

I think the problem with the rooted sculpt is that for some reason they have put a foam pad in the sculpt cannister that is squashing his hair down flat and making him look weird... Maybe something to do what's inside the neck of the sculpt and it doesn't turn and "click" onto the post inside the cannister like Gandalf did so the foam is there to keep the sculpt on the post?

View attachment 710057
Every rooted hair should be futz with. Same goes for the outfit. Take 30 minutes to an hour out of your day on your $500 figure to futz with it a bit. It makes a massive difference instead of just slapping it onto the body and calling it a day. Same thing applied to Joker and Gandalf. All it takes is some water.

sykmDhF.png

These comments are killing me. There's no world where the sculpted hair Aragorn is better than the rooted version. Even unfutzed, it's night and day on the realism scale.

The sculpted hair looks as good as any. But this figure literally peaks mass production potential, and not supplementing it with a rooted sculpt is doing it a huge disservice in my opinion.

I've not bought an exact duplicate of a figure before, but I'm seriously considering locking in a second order if the opportunity presents itself at the right time. But I only want the premium.

Last edited:
I don’t own either of these figures. I enjoyed the movies quite a bit. Personally I think they’re both stellar and especially when standing together. The level of effort these folks are putting into creating these likenesses is deep. Can you imagine how long it must take for putting rooted, (even if it’s not pushed into the head and only glued), hair on these figures!? Gandalf’s beard looks absolutely amazing. Sure, there’s always going to be some things not 100% perfect but, hell, they’re taking six foot tall humans and turning them into 12 inch tall figures. These are museum quality reproductions of wonderful characters from top tier productions. My hat is off to InArt and their staff. I bow to greatness.

*and I’m looking very forward to receiving my InArt Paul Atreides once that figure is released. I ordered him directly from InArt.

And a big !Congrats! to all those who’ve ordered and are holding two of the best “Lord of the Rings” figures ever made! I think they’re amazing!

I don’t own either of these figures. I enjoyed the movies quite a bit. Personally I think they’re both stellar and especially when standing together. The level of effort these folks are putting into creating these likenesses is deep. Can you imagine how long it must take for putting rooted, (even if it’s not pushed into the head and only glued), hair on these figures!? Gandalf’s beard looks absolutely amazing. Sure, there’s always going to be some things not 100% perfect but, hell, they’re taking six foot tall humans and turning them into 12 inch tall figures. These are museum quality reproductions of wonderful characters from top tier productions. My hat is off to InArt and their staff. I bow to greatness.

*and I’m looking very forward to receiving my InArt Paul Atreides once that figure is released. I ordered him directly from InArt.

And a big !Congrats! to all those who’ve ordered and are holding two of the best “Lord of the Rings” figures ever made! I think they’re amazing!
Er, I don't think so. There are costume details that IMO would keep this off the top tier, unlike a top custom.

For instance, the Elven cloak COULD have had a print to make it look at least woven like the wool original. I'd have to go digging to see if the movie version had any edge finishing. The binding along the edge of the jacket is proportionally enormous; I don't know why they made it that wide.

And so on, if I want to be picky. From what I've seen it's a credible job, better, not what I'd think of as absolute top tier. But then again, I'm not paying top tier prices, as expensive as this fig is. Down the road, I'll be curious to see if I can do something about the elven cloak, material-wise. Or maybe I'll find out - again - that getting a material that is good enough, and isn't really bulky so it sits on the figure sticking out like an upside down cup, is no easy task. Same for the coat which I wish was leather; but that would have added to the cost as well $$$$$.

Er, I don't think so. There are costume details that IMO would keep this off the top tier, unlike a top custom.

For instance, the Elven cloak COULD have had a print to make it look at least woven like the wool original. I'd have to go digging to see if the movie version had any edge finishing. The binding along the edge of the jacket is proportionally enormous; I don't know why they made it that wide.

And so on, if I want to be picky. From what I've seen it's a credible job, better, not what I'd think of as absolute top tier. But then again, I'm not paying top tier prices, as expensive as this fig is. Down the road, I'll be curious to see if I can do something about the elven cloak, material-wise. Or maybe I'll find out - again - that getting a material that is good enough, and isn't really bulky so it sits on the figure sticking out like an upside down cup, is no easy task. Same for the coat which I wish was leather; but that would have added to the cost as well $$$$$.
We are all entitled to our own opinions. I won’t argue with you but I tend not to nitpick about little things. Overall I think they’re amazing figures and compared to everything else out there available for the particular likenesses nothing else comes close. Or do you know of other Aragorn or Gandalf figures better?

Seriously, does anywhere still have the pre-order for this still available? I waited until this came out to see the quality, and now I can't find it anywhere.

We are all entitled to our own opinions. I won’t argue with you but I tend not to nitpick about little things. Overall I think they’re amazing figures and compared to everything else out there available for the particular likenesses nothing else comes close. Or do you know of other Aragorn or Gandalf figures better?

I can't help it; I like to work with my hands (so I'm not fazed by fiber-hair either 😁 ).

I don't like to use the word "better" a lot - so, OK, I've got no problem at all with my ASMUS Gandalf's, sculpt or costume-wise, without spelling out all the little details I appreciate.

As for what I've seen of the Inart Gandalf; he's pretty good, and if I hadn't had a Gandalf I liked I would have gotten him, but I don't think he's "perfect" either.

Is this the best Aragorn sculpt I've seen? Yes, but having seen some vids; sometimes IMO it's a dead-on likeness; other shots he looks too young. Still IMO it's even better than what pricey WETA has done (and they should have nailed Viggo by now).

And I am not trolling, schilling for ASMUS, or trying to rain on folks' parades. I just like to stay grounded; one reason being collection-wise, if I REALLY appreciate a fig, I sometimes duplicate it. In this case tho for me it's a moot point; prices have risen to the point where I have to think long and hard about every purchase. If this Aragorn were cheaper I might've picked up the sculpted as well (to have two different looks) but that's that.:cautious: Folks here have mentioned in time there'll be another "even better" Aragorn but I'm at the point I gotta ask myself, when do you cut off? $$$$$$$

335 is such a bargain for this figure - compare it to some regular stuff that goes for 260-299 these days...the outfit alone is outstanding.
Even better that $335 from Kit includes shipping and whatnot. $290 might be what some figures are on Sideshow, but that's before they tack on shipping and tax. Crazy difference in the materials Inart uses as well as the resolution of sculpt detail for what ends up being pretty much the same price. Just need to work on their QC and obtain some more licenses/US distribution and you'll be hard-pressed to choose a competitor over them.

Back