InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Legolas 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After my Aragon hair experience - and I ended up making a study of it practically - as far as just the fiber and cut of the hair, I've seen one, or two sculpts so far that had hair that looked like the prototype. And I don't get that. I don't get how you can have a production table with mohair hair all laid out and not see the texture of your base fiber is all over the place.

I don't get like with the Potter figs why you would use cheap pegs.

Having seen Batman and Harry Potter unboxings looks like insanely detailed accessories, so I don't get why Legolas would get short changed with a cheap cloak. It's crossed my mind whoever works on these figs is really into amazing accessories but seems to trip when dealing with costumes at times. Like Aragorns tunic being a tad short. Or the elven cloak being so unfinished.

For sure I'd only put a deposit based on a shown InArt prototype and then hope for the best. At least until their QC stabilizes.😥
Sometimes the simpler the outfit looks, the easier it is to make a hash of. When making something like The Batman outfit or Dune stillsuits, you REALLY have to nail all the details as they generally all fit together in a way that each part is essential.

A lot of Aragorn's outfit is easily to overlook unless you are looking for the details or you notice something on the off chance. Take for example the quiver; the straps are actually connected to the quiver by the same Gondorian buckles that Faramir has on his cloak neck ties. For me it's details like that which make the Aragorn costume really interesting as it hints to his lineage and travelling as he has already fought alongside the men of Gondor and Rohan prior to The War of The Ring.

20241010_123723.jpg

I wish InArt had included that detail but I've already sacrificed the buckles off the cloak from my Asmus Faramir... 😅

I wouldn’t count on that. They only showed a prototype of Legolas just days before he went up for preorder. I have a feeling they knew people would complain about the cloak and the missing bow. He looks fantastic, but $550 bucks for a figure that comes with two knifes and a bow is ridiculous.

They were given a ton of reference to improve Superman’s suit, but they didn’t use any of it. I think the days of InArt endlessly optimizing their releases are over. This community will nitpick on the smallest things, so I honestly can’t blame them.
I’d love to know specific examples as to what constitutes as the “smallest things.”

There’s been an objective quality to a good degree with the critical feedback that has been provided to INART for prior figures (IMO).

I’d love to know specific examples as to what constitutes as the “smallest things.”

There’s been an objective quality to a good degree with the critical feedback that has been provided to INART for prior figures (IMO).
A lot of these points are minor details that the bigger audience won’t notice. Does it look better and is it more accurate? Yes absolutely, but most people are forgetting these are mass produced products, InArt has to draw the line somewhere. If you want this type of accuracy you’ll have to go the custom route unfortunately. Even then it’s sometimes hard to achieve.

IMG_6352.png

Last edited:
Sometimes the simpler the outfit looks, the easier it is to make a hash of. When making something like The Batman outfit or Dune stillsuits, you REALLY have to nail all the details as they generally all fit together in a way that each part is essential.

A lot of Aragorn's outfit is easily to overlook unless you are looking for the details or you notice something on the off chance. Take for example the quiver; the straps are actually connected to the quiver by the same Gondorian buckles that Faramir has on his cloak neck ties. For me it's details like that which make the Aragorn costume really interesting as it hints to his lineage and travelling as he has already fought alongside the men of Gondor and Rohan prior to The War of The Ring.

View attachment 731769

I wish InArt had included that detail but I've already sacrificed the buckles off the cloak from my Asmus Faramir... 😅
Now I want those buckles! :lol

But like my Faramir as-is. Re Legolas did they not plan to do the brooch at the neck either? That would be a shame, as they did a nice job with the Evenstar and the elven leave brooches.

Plus for me it would tie back to Thranduil's twining "thorn" ring in the Hobbit and his neck brooch.

Agree it's the tiny things for me (besides a great sculpt) that could get a fence-sitter like me to change their mind and purchase.

A lot of these points are minor details that the bigger audience won’t notice. Does it look better and is it more accurate? Yes absolutely, but most people are forgetting these are mass produced products. If you want this type of accuracy you’ll have to go the custom route unfortunately. Even then it’s sometimes hard to achieve.

Yeah, but tiny diecast pieces are hard. I'd looked a long time just trying to track down what the clasps on Thorin's cloak looked like, before tripping over some old pages of a design document that apparently was on display at one point. Dunno if I could even get my hands on LOTR design art books at this point, without paying through the nose.

But these 1/6 scale companies seem to have costume access. After all, isn't that what "premium" is?

Back