JURASSIC PARK

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The black dots look like they were applied with a sharpie and are totally unnecessary. Even the red blood perfectly lining the lips doesn't make sense.

Exactly. Wait till you see it in person. One of the biggest disappointments of my Sideshow collection. The point of my posts is to emphasize how much Sideshow has lowered there standards. You don't need super talented painters to get a better paint job than what was done on these statues. I paint kits myself and I know that it aint that hard to get better than this. All the ones I am seeing suck and seeing one in person really puts the nail in the coffin. And the small size is a real downer. Big fat "F" for Sideshow on this one.

No offense Scar, nothing wrong with having very different opinions.

I'd say Sideshow hasn't "lowered their standards" considering what they've been coming out with recently. Even if you were to take this piece as poor, I'd say it would be more of an anomoly among recent pieces they've been bringing out.

I wouldn't say that painting one's own kits would be a litmus test as to whether or not one can better assess the quality of a piece. Probably affords you with a different perspective as to what you would have done to the contrary. A great number of art critics have never worked in the field themselves, but are knowledgeable enough with the field in order to gauge quality. Just a thought.

Again, to say you're not happy with what you're seeing isn't something I would judge by, being that I haven't been happy with pictures I have seen, but love my own piece. To say you don't like your own, well, is much more concrete. Sorry to hear your own is subpar. Mine is quite nice in person.

I will say that the dots aren't entirely necessary, but at least on mine they aren't sporadic enough to be problematic. I thought initially it looked like the Tyrannosaur had some sort of dermatological affliction, but since here they're just spread around the contours of the skull, it's fine by me.

I'd say Sideshow hasn't "lowered their standards" considering what they've been coming out with recently. Even if you were to take this piece as poor, I'd say it would be more of an anomoly among recent pieces they've been bringing out.

I wouldn't say that painting one's own kits would be a litmus test as to whether or not one can better assess the quality of a piece. Probably affords you with a different perspective as to what you would have done to the contrary. A great number of art critics have never worked in the field themselves, but are knowledgeable enough with the field in order to gauge quality. Just a thought.

Again, to say you're not happy with what you're seeing isn't something I would judge by, being that I haven't been happy with pictures I have seen, but love my own piece. To say you don't like your own, well, is much more concrete. Sorry to hear your own is subpar. Mine is quite nice in person.

I will say that the dots aren't entirely necessary, but at least on mine they aren't sporadic enough to be problematic. I thought initially it looked like the Tyrannosaur had some sort of dermatological affliction, but since here they're just spread around the contours of the skull, it's fine by me.

I know what you're saying. But some things in life and even in art are just obviously bad no matter which way you look at it. For example, if you had a pink Jurassic Park T Rex with yellow dots, it would be an unarguably bad paint job to most people. Of course I'm exaggerating to make a point.

I feel that the dots on the Sideshow T-Rex are obviosuly and unarguably bad. It's not a minor item, it's a major aspect of the paint job. The dots are all around the most important and biggest eye catcher of the piece, which is the T-Rex's head. It's not about being being subjective and objective when it comes to this aspect of the piece.

As for the size criticisms, well that's subjective, but I think most folks would have liked it bigger.

Lastly, all the ones I have seen on the Internet look like mine, so it's safe to say that the problem isn't just the paint job on the one I got.

I like my statue when I'm looking at it from a distance, because then I don't see the dots.

I'm sure this one is a matter of "it looks better in person"... but from the pics this thing looks like crap.

I feel that the dots on the Sideshow T-Rex are obviosuly and unarguably bad. It's not a minor item, it's a major aspect of the paint job. The dots are all around the most important and biggest eye catcher of the piece, which is the T-Rex's head. It's not about being being subjective and objective when it comes to this aspect of the piece.

As for the size criticisms, well that's subjective, but I think most folks would have liked it bigger.

Lastly, all the ones I have seen on the Internet look like mine, so it's safe to say that the problem isn't just the paint job on the one I got.

I like my statue when I'm looking at it from a distance, because then I don't see the dots.

I disagree, it's all about objectivity and subjectivity. What is objective is how the piece was literally rendered, what is subjective is whether or not one considers such aspects desirable or detractors. We're not in conflict about what the objective case is with the piece, it's the subjective interpretation that remains in dispute. I'm perfectly content with the size... in fact I feel I may have underestimated the dimensions when considering them online; I'm also perfectly content with the accenting dots on my piece. Considering the light brown paint scheme, it might otherwise have been difficult to appreciate the subtle contours of the T.rex's head. Were they necessary? Of course not. Do they seriously hurt the piece? Not in my personal opinion, but again this is where the subjective dimension enters into the equation.

Another collectible that uses color alone for contour accents with the JP T.rex is the Papo collectible. It is elegant in its simplicity, but there the artists were forunate enough to use the paint scheme of the male Tyrannosaur with the dark green and mottled brown. They varied the color where there were raises or depressions in the T.rex's flesh; the original JP T.rex doesn't have that luxury, since the color is much more muted, being an entirely brown female. I suppose when dealing with an animal without much inherent variety in color, one must make creative choices. They dealt with it well throughout the body of the Tyrannosaur, but it seems to be the way they dealt with the skull that remains a point of contention. Subjective, but I think it's a decision that made sense, and as was pointed out, was evident in the site's pictures as well.

I disagree, it's all about objectivity and subjectivity. What is objective is how the piece was literally rendered, what is subjective is whether or not one considers such aspects desirable or detractors. We're not in conflict about what the objective case is with the piece, it's the subjective interpretation that remains in dispute. I'm perfectly content with the size... in fact I feel I may have underestimated the dimensions when considering them online; I'm also perfectly content with the accenting dots on my piece. Considering the light brown paint scheme, it might otherwise have been difficult to appreciate the subtle contours of the T.rex's head. Were they necessary? Of course not. Do they seriously hurt the piece? Not in my personal opinion, but again this is where the subjective dimension enters into the equation.

Another collectible that uses color alone for contour accents with the JP T.rex is the Papo collectible. It is elegant in its simplicity, but there the artists were forunate enough to use the paint scheme of the male Tyrannosaur with the dark green and mottled brown. They varied the color where there were raises or depressions in the T.rex's flesh; the original JP T.rex doesn't have that luxury, since the color is much more muted, being an entirely brown female. I suppose when dealing with an animal without much inherent variety in color, one must make creative choices. They dealt with it well throughout the body of the Tyrannosaur, but it seems to be the way they dealt with the skull that remains a point of contention. Subjective, but I think it's a decision that made sense, and as was pointed out, was evident in the site's pictures as well.

All I can say is that I'm gald you're so happy with your statue and I wish I was as satisfied. Most people see what I see, which is a blatantly bad paint job. To add insult to injury, Sideshow screwed up a representation of one of the most memorable characters and scenes. This statue had the potential to be a masterpiece if they raised their standards for it to match that of their PF Predator, PF Berserker, etc. and made it bigger. That's my two cents and the last I'll say about it.

My vote is that they make up for this blunder by giving us a BIG diorama of the JP Spinosaurus vs. the T-Rex. Oh yeah ! :rock

All I can say is that I'm gald you're so happy with your statue and I wish I was as satisfied. Most people see what I see, which is a blatantly bad paint job. To add insult to injury, Sideshow screwed up a representation of one of the most memorable characters and scenes. This statue had the potential to be a masterpiece if they raised their standards for it to match that of their PF Predator, PF Berserker, etc. and made it bigger. That's my two cents and the last I'll say about it.

My vote is that they make up for this blunder by giving us a BIG diorama of the JP Spinosaurus vs. the T-Rex. Oh yeah ! :rock

I hope you're joking about the T.rex VS. Spinosaurus dio... I'd rather not have a dio from the movie which was the death knell for the JP franchise, the movie that razed everything the other films built.

On the contrary, most JP fans are enthusiastic about the piece thus far. The only complaint among them is that it could have done without the black dots and the scale could have been larger, not that either of these completely ruins the piece as seems to be your contention from what I glean. Screwing up the representation adding insult to injury? I wouldn't take fault with the sculpt in the slightest.

Well, I'll leave it at that. Everyone's entitled to their creative opinion. Suffice it to say, I remain a happy camper! :D

Last edited:
I hope you're joking about the T.rex VS. Spinosaurus dio.

Might be the best creature battle in film history. Actually, the only other scene that comes to mind that beats this one is Jackson's Kong vs V-Rex's scene.

We just can't see eye to eye on anything my firiend. That's O.K., makes for fun conversation! :D

Might be the best creature battle in film history. Actually, the only other scene that comes to mind that beats this one is Jackson's Kong vs V-Rex's scene.

We just can't see eye to eye on anything my firiend. That's O.K., makes for fun conversation! :D

Indeed it seems we can't. We can't all hope to agree, but we can at least discuss our interests. :D

The first two JP films took care in consultation of a wide range of paleontologists to make sure that they were making most of their dinos with the greatest possible adherence to accepted paleontological theory. The third film consulted only Horner, and for the sole purpose of depicting T.rex as a scavenger rather than a predator... and to amp up the new new kid on the block, the Spinosaurus.

Pteranodons with teeth and which were capable of lifting humans into the air; Velociraptors of pure ornamentation with no heed paid to camouflage, which didn't eat their victims, and tenaciously stalked victims not to kill them (and even if they did kill them, they left the bodies rather than store them in a food cache) but to return one egg when there was already a massive number of them in the nest site, which is NOT a characteristic of animals of great fecudity.

JP set out the task of depicting dinosaurs in check with paleontological theory, TLW made an effort to show them in line with ethology as behaviorally plausible and distinct organisms, and JPIII was just an attempted Universal cash cow, which ended up being a sacrifical cow leading the franchise to the slaughter. I could go on, and on, and on about why that movie is pure tripe, but I'll focus on my main problems with in.

Nevermind the fact that we don't have enough skeletal evidence to safely depict a Spinosaurus aegypticus with accuracy, but what we do know is that it was a relative of such animals as Baryonx and Suchomimus, both of which, while large in scale, were lightly-built animals deemed largely to be piscovores, meaning that they likely lived near bodies of water and fed primarily on large fish, and in the case of an animal the size of Spinosaurus, plausibly small dinosaurs as well. It's teeth weren't built for punching through bone, let alone to slicing through flesh; they were designed purely as tools to grab and hold prey. While holding, it could have used its enourmous claws to shred or disembowel. The Spinosaurus has teeth extremely similar to modern crocodilians, which enact death rolls to rip out large chunks of prey. The claws were enormous so as to aid in ripping apart as means as a sort of pre-masticative tool to aid in digestion. Being that the Spinosaurus couldn't death roll like a crocodilian, and from what little evidence we have from its fragmentary skeletons and from close relatives, it lacked the jaw muscles to crush bone like crocodilians; consequently, it wouldn't rely on its jaws to render prey into smaller pieces, but on its claws.

The bite force of a T.rex is typically 3-4 tons PSI depending on the individual, and T.rex had teeth intended not only to cut flesh with ease, but to completely annihilate bone (which can be seen by what it is doing to the raptor in the dio ;) ). If its initial bite had been delivered to the neck of the Spinosaurus as it was in the film, there would not have been a "fight". It would have been over there and then, pure and simple. The upper cervical vertebrae would have been completely shattered, and the Spino would have gone limp and lost its life within instants. The movie had the T.rex initiate downward force in its bite, not once, but twice; during the second time, it even used its massive neck muscles (far and away the largest, not just of any carnivorous dinosaur, but of ANY terrestrial carnivore known) to pull on the Spinosaurus' neck after having dug in its teeth. At this point, the spine shouldn't just be crushed, but the head should be peeling off.

Even if they made the argument that the Spinosaurus survived all of that, it would have died very shortly thereafter from loss of blood. The movie used the Spinosaurus' hands as a trump card in the fight, saying, "See, the T.rex couldn't break the neck because it only has tiny arms! The Spinosaurus has huge arms, so that makes it better!" Not a chance; from the build of other Spinosaurids, the Spinosaurus in the movie wouldn't even have possessed the range of motion in its forelimbs to raise its arms that high in order to grab onto the T.rex. The fight is stunningly and embarassingly bunk, with a Spinosaurus that looks less like the actual animal likely should and more like a crocodile/duck hybrid on BGH.

I would have to pick Kong for the best fight. Not only was it just awesome from start to finish, but its use of fictional animals evaded accuracy loopholes like those mentioned above.

Last edited:
I got mine today. Again, people are making a big deal out of nothing. It looks fantastic in person and is exactly the size I expected it to be (did no one watch the Backstage Pass video)?

Even the packaging is cool.

Very pleased. :rock

I got mine today. Again, people are making a big deal out of nothing. It looks fantastic in person and is exactly the size I expected it to be (did no one watch the Backstage Pass video)?

Even the packaging is cool.

Very pleased. :rock

Thank you!:bow Also, awesome sig of the Comedian! Just saw the prelimiary cover art for the "The Art of the Watchmen" book with the Comedian's shadow profile on front. It's going to be the Citizen Cane of comic book movies.

Oh, and before I forget, you guys should check this out. The price is steep, but you cannot compete with the detail. It's the single best Velociraptor collectible I have ever seen (it's from the Horizon kit), from not being directly from SWS. Would that I had the money for it. :drool

raptor1.jpg

raptor2.jpg

raptor3.jpg

raptor4.jpg

Wow, is that awesome. That's what I was hoping for from Sideshow.

I think this is the 2nd time the seller offers this piece. It looks great, but the color scheme of the skin and the eyes are not accurate. Besides that, it's awesome!

Don't forget the live.com 25% off, Scar. :D

Btw, this is the best paint up I've seen.

Agreed, the pictures you posted had the greener tint that the JP raptor possessed overlaying the grey, but it still really depends on which shots you look (oh, and I like that in those model shots, even the scales around the gumline are accurate in terms of color dispersal to the film, very very cool). Some shots have the raptors looking much closer to grey, and ohers still thath have them resembling total brown... but there have been stills that make them appear green. Alot of the SWS props appear seem almost total grey with a bit of brown when viewed in the just flat, white lighting. In terms of the eyes, the artist of the pics I posted definitely had to have made a few different pieces. If you look closely, you'll notice that the first two pictures have one paint scheme, while the second have another which is accurate to the film. I should inquire with him to see which scheme he uses in the auction pieces.

BTW, there's a live.com coupon? How might one use said coupon?:D

BTW, there's a live.com coupon? How might one use said coupon?:D

Go to live.com and search for ps3, wii, xbox or whatever.

When result came up, look at the upper left corner and you should see the "Live Search cashback" with the current discount %.

Click on it and it will redirect you to ebay with a green sign on the right side of your username, confirm that. And just search for the stuff that you want. It only applys to BIN items. Up to 3 purchases for each account. Fire away my friend.

Here's a pic of my bronze Raptor. It's slightly longer then the Horizon kit.

Back