Justice League Movie (Nov 17th, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That church scene is so silly. Not for the exchange, but the fact that an alien force has threatened to destroy the planet and this church is empty except for the priest to who is sweeping up.

That church scene is so silly. Not for the exchange, but the fact that an alien force has threatened to destroy the planet and this church is empty except for the priest to who is sweeping up.

I thought that made sense within the context of story and the world they created.

It may not be realistic or a believable depiction of our world, because I do think in real life there would be plenty of people in churches, but in the MOS world, it kind of makes sense.

When Clark saved the school bus, one of the parents saw it a religious event and even Clark was asking if God made him differently as some sort of punishment. Pa Kent eventually tells him that god has nothing to do with it and that when people find out what he (Clark) can do, it would change everything, and I'm sure that includes religious views.

So perhaps the empty church is just showing that, people's view of religion after an alien invasion or perhaps the lack of interest in religion and believe in something greater in this fictional world. Sups seems to live in a very dark, pessimistic world.

Or maybe it was Sunday afternoon and people are watching football. :lol

Arcs are good, yes. However, Deadshot's arc makes no sense, which is the guy's point. Deadshot had one...it just didn't work.

Deadshot is in prison and wants to take care of his daughter.

She doesn't like what he does for living and wants him to change.

At the very climax when Deadshot is going to take a....shot...to save the world, the filmmaker puts his daughter in that scene trying to stop him because she doesn't like what he does (killing) as a link to the beginning of the film. However, in that particular moment Deadshot is killing something to save the world, so for the writer to connect the daughter's objection to killing to that climatic moment, it doesn't work as an effective arc, according to the guy in the video.

In fact, by the end of the film he's still in prison, still a killer, but the daughter still loves him...which is exactly what she told him in the beginning.

Deadshot was not the same at the end as he was at the beginning. He refused to murder Harley Quinn even though it jeopardized seeing his daughter (something that would have been unthinkable at the beginning of the movie) and his time in prison at the end was not the same as it was earlier. He got visitation rights with his daughter, letters, and a stronger bond with her. Hell if there was no such thing as a DCEU and upcoming SS sequels we might even assume he was a full on reformed good guy at that point.

No need to be tripped up in the Enchantress' vision since it's only natural that she would try to eff with his mind in order to save herself and from a filmmaking perspective it created symmetry with the opening of the movie. Regardless of what you make of it he still had a defined arc as outlined above that was relevant for his character.

And no matter how you want to defend the reviewer he still asked point blank why the daughter in Deadshot's vision would want him to not pull the trigger which is just stupid and indicative that he didn't understand the scene at all.

Last edited:
But does the film really do a good job of showing why he accepts his heritage and place on earth?

There are moments in the film where Clark is still questioning if he should trust humans and if he should turn himself in, like when he talks to the priest. Then there's his father constantly telling him no to expose himself (that sounds bad :lol) to the point that Pa Kent committed suicide, but at the same time he tells him that one day...not now...even with that tornado about to kill me...one day, you'll change the world. Ultimately, it's clear that he choses the humans, he accepts earth..."welcome to the planet"...but is it clear why he does it? Why he feels like he can finally accept his heritage and place on earth?

Yes it is.

Deadshot was not the same at the end as he was at the beginning. He refused to murder Harley Quinn even though it jeopardized seeing his daughter (something that would have been unthinkable at the beginning of the movie)

That wasn't a change at all. It could have been...but that's his code. No women or children...even he said it.

and his time in prison at the end was not the same as it was earlier. He got visitation rights with his daughter, letters, and a stronger bond with her. Hell if there was no such thing as a DCEU and upcoming SS sequels we might even assume he was a full on reformed good guy at that point.

Not a very effective arc, imo. The daughter had unconditional love for him, so the bond was more or less the same. In fact, at the end he's teaching her math and using gun violence as a metaphor and she seems ok with...for no real reason other than the unconditional love that had already been established from the beginning. Also, she never stopped writing to him...so again, it would have been more effective if she had stopped writing to him and by the end he's changed in her eyes, so she accepts him and writes to him. That's a significate change. Getting visitation rights and better meals is not what I would call a compelling character arc, and neither is getting a coffee machine :lol

One of the issues is that the film is telling us these guys are the "worst of the worst" and they're villains, but at the same time, they're trying to make them antiheroes and doing heroic things, while maintaining their villainous status.

Yes it is.

Well, that clarifies everything :lol

It should be clear from the beginning since it's so painfully obvious :lol but that's the current state of the audience.

Sassy. :D

XDqZsYb.jpg

That wasn't a change at all. It could have been...but that's his code. No women or children...even he said it.

Doh. You're right. They spelled that out in the bar didn't they. I never connected that to him sparing Harley. Yeah, not much development for him otherwise. One thing that some people fail to recognize though is that not all movies need character developments or arcs, not even great ones. It tends to be a genre thing. Nobody watches Arnold in Commando or Predator to see how his character grows as a person for instance. :lol Same with other classics like Ghostbusters. Venkman at the beginning was pretty much Venkman at the end.

Sometimes just watching archetypes "do what they do" whether it be blowing up bad guys or cracking wise is enough. I'm not saying that SS gets a pass because of this but it does pretty much present itself as "here's some kinda bad people kicking ass, enjoy!" And lives or dies (and for many viewers it obviously died) on that alone.

The video reviewer was still an idiot for questioning Deadshot's vision though.

One thing that some people fail to recognize though is that how his character grows as a person for instance. :lol Same with other classics like Ghostbusters. Venkman at the beginning was pretty much Venkman at the end

James Bond is a good example too. I thought Venkman had an arc, didn't he? In the beginning he's got a boring job conducting "experiments" that he knows aren't real because he doesn't seem to be a believer of the supernatural, but that changes after he sees the ghost and he's fired, which turns him into a ghostbuster, a believer of the supernatural and ultimately an unlikely hero. Not sure if that counts.

You're giving me heartburn :lol

So you're telling me that he understands the fundamentals of storytelling and screenwriting, but can't tell that it was a vision created by the dancing witch, when it's not even subtle? I mean, the guy doesn't believe that the girl is a manifestation or creation of Deadshot's mind with no connection to the villain who can clearly create visions. He's just questioning the choice of incorporating that character in that particular moment and having the character deliver a line that in no way makes sense in relation to that moment and their relationship...especially when he still shot the witch anyway.

Doh. You're right. They spelled that out in the bar didn't they. I never connected that to him sparing Harley. Yeah, not much development for him otherwise. One thing that some people fail to recognize though is that not all movies need character developments or arcs, not even great ones. It tends to be a genre thing. Nobody watches Arnold in Commando or Predator to see how his character grows as a person for instance. :lol Same with other classics like Ghostbusters. Venkman at the beginning was pretty much Venkman at the end.

Sometimes just watching archetypes "do what they do" whether it be blowing up bad guys or cracking wise is enough. I'm not saying that SS gets a pass because of this but it does pretty much present itself as "here's some kinda bad people kicking ass, enjoy!" And lives or dies (and for many viewers it obviously died) on that alone.

Predator

zero arc

movie is getter than 90% of movies with arcs.

You're giving me heartburn :lol

So you're telling me that he understands the fundamentals of storytelling and screenwriting, but can't tell that it was a vision created by the dancing witch, when it's not even subtle? I mean, the guy doesn't believe that the girl is a manifestation or creation of Deadshot's mind with no connection to the villain who can clearly create visions. He's just questioning the choice of incorporating that character in that particular moment and having the character deliver a line that in no way makes sense in relation to that moment and their relationship...especially when he still shot the witch anyway.

Nah, khev still right. :lol

May I offer you some pepto bismo. :lol

All this talk about arcs makes me appreciate the simplicity of old James Bond and Indiana Jones (well, Raiders anyway).

No arc -- just a mission and a new bad guy.

Others: Dirty Harry, Mad Max (in RW and FR), Jack Sparrow...

Back