1/6 Luke Skywalker: Red Five X-Wing Pilot Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope no one is surprised if after the first few SW releases from Hot Toys (The Han, Chewie & Stormtrooper ones) we don't see the prices shoot up significantly more...expect the minimum on any of them to be $300...if not more coming from them as well.

To use an old shopworn cliche'....Disney is going to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. And if some of those eggs come out a little rotten (ie: unpopular with collectors)...well, that death's gonna come a little faster. (I'm looking at you, "wakey-force")....

Collectors better hope they see the classic (I mean pre-Disney) SW characters sooner than later.....

Last edited:
I mean this will all due respect to Sideshow, but the licensing fee negotiation thing doesn't matter to me as a customer. I don't take things like that into consideration when I decide to buy something or not. I take a look at the product and if I feel like its value to me is equal or greater than the price I'm paying, I buy it. If I don't feel that way, I leave it or wait for it to go on sale for a price that I'm comfortable with.

...and your point is well-taken, Ben....it's just interesting to know what's behind the sudden, sharp increase....and if Sideshow (or any of the other company) can offer something of quality to match that increase. From the looks of the proto at least, Sideshow is making a strong effort.

But as you say...it's ultimately about what you, the customer, is willing to pay....

I hope no one is surprised if after the first few SW releases from Hot Toys (The Han, Chewie & Stormtrooper ones) we don't see the prices shoot up significantly more...expect the minimum on any of them to be $300...if not more coming from them as well.

To use an old shopworn cliche'....Disney is going to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. And if some of those eggs come out a little rotten (ie: unpopular with collectors)...well, that death's gonna come a little faster. (I'm looking at you, "wakey-force")....

Collectors better hope they see the classic (I mean pre-Disney) SW characters sooner than later.....
I dunno. Hot Toys only put out the DX07 which was quite a while ago already before these new announcements so maybe their deal is negotiated already and the figures they make will stay close to the price range we've seen thus far.

Simply..it's the most expensive license we have at this point now and the effects of Disney taking over are now in full effect going forward.

-SideshowAlex

Thank you so much for chiming in with an explaination. I figured there was more to it then just ego. I know Sideshow has to charge what they have to charge...but i hope you know with these prices...SS has to turn out quality that rivals HT....

Please be strategic in your character selections....i fear the 1/6 lines days are numbered and we still are missing some prime characters like any Leias. Most of us are going to be priced out of the line soon...

Simply..it's the most expensive license we have at this point now and the effects of Disney taking over are now in full effect going forward.

-SideshowAlex

Sadly, I don't think cool side characters like Walrusman would sell at this price point.

Hmm... end of an era I guess. The era where for a bit over $100 a pop (well, closer to $150 the past year or two) you could fill a display with a broad selection of SW characters. We are in a $200+ world now, very soon to be a $250+ world.

Sideshow will never do another "scum and villiany" type line. As Boba Ben says, who's going to buy a $250 Zuckuss, Ree Yees or Walrusman? Bye-bye 1/6 Max Rebo Band.

I'm so glad SSC did characters like Gamorrean, Hammerhead and Tusken when they did (for $125.) The long list of wants I have I guess will become customs now.

What lies ahead is SSC ATAT drivers for $230+ and HT Luke Jedis for $250+. Thanks, Disney.:clap:lol

Only vaguely on topic:
I'm so glad I hung onto my 1996 Marmit Stormtrooper; it beats the SS version in detail accuracy and proportion by a mile, and at least equals the HT. I recently bleached it WHITE (white-friggin-white) with some 30% hydrogen peroxide solution, and it removed 18 years of yellowing completely. True, I had to mod it with a solid body inside, but that's a good thing. It allowed me to choose my own head, and the head does NOT depict a New Zealander clone...

Only vaguely on topic:
I'm so glad I hung onto my 1996 Marmit Stormtrooper; it beats the SS version in detail accuracy and proportion by a mile, and at least equals the HT. I recently bleached it WHITE (white-friggin-white) with some 30% hydrogen peroxide solution, and it removed 18 years of yellowing completely. True, I had to mod it with a solid body inside, but that's a good thing. It allowed me to choose my own head, and the head does NOT depict a New Zealander clone...

I've never owned a Marmit trooper, but its hard denying alot of peoples pics of just how nice they look, grats on getting that whitening to work. :clap

I always thought the detail in a few places was overly soft on the Marmit. It's better than the SS out of the box, but I don't think it'll top the HT when it's released though.

I'm more than happy with my Sideshow releases. If pricing goes up post Han and Chewy, its not going to bother me, it'll probably just keep me from replacing anything I already own. So, I'm thankful, they're leading off with Chewy early on. :yess:

Hmm... end of an era I guess. The era where for a bit over $100 a pop (well, closer to $150 the past year or two) you could fill a display with a broad selection of SW characters. We are in a $200+ world now, very soon to be a $250+ world.

Sideshow will never do another "scum and villiany" type line. As Boba Ben says, who's going to buy a $250 Zuckuss, Ree Yees or Walrusman? Bye-bye 1/6 Max Rebo Band.

I'm so glad SSC did characters like Gamorrean, Hammerhead and Tusken when they did (for $125.) The long list of wants I have I guess will become customs now.

What lies ahead is SSC ATAT drivers for $230+ and HT Luke Jedis for $250+. Thanks, Disney.:clap:lol

Agree. I've already decided to change my collecting habit. No way am I paying over $200 for minor characters. My collection will now be consisting of key characters in 1/6 scale, most likely HT, and a diverse range in 1/12 scale.

There are a lot of companies doing 1/12 scale now. Hasbro is producing great quality troopers and aliens and it looks like figuarts is going to produce some kick ass humans.

Thanks for the input.

Sheesh, if this is $240 than what will a more complex figure be?

At these prices and the speed in which HT is kicking out OT I doubt I'll be able to keep up even with the few that I want. Man, I cant wait till I get those few figures so I can quit Hot Toys and Sideshow both.

Fiend you have been around since 2011 you will be missed my man, what if SS makes a Crimson Ghost would that bring you back? :monkey3

I'd get a zuckus and dengar at these prices if for nothing but finishing the bounty hunters. Walrusman I'd probably draw the line. But I also look at it like this, will there be another line to rival this one...not likely unless some extremely new manufacturing methods came about. So will this be the quintessential line for the foreseeable future? Probably and that will make me take a hard look at if I leave any behind. SS has to find a way to add more perceived value if this is indeed the new model like die cast weapons...or weapons at all, lighted base and leather two piece boots or something cause red five luke as a product formula ain't gonna cut it if they want to keep selling figures until the force awakens.

I'm originally from SoCal, Orange County, Santa Ana. Born and raised.

I moved to get away from the rat race. :D

Oh, and here's something else that's new. I just heard a new term today on the radio. Fellow says, we've go something now called the 'rat race.' Did you ever hear that one? It sure describes my life. I'm involved with something now called commuting. I drive into the city for work all day, and then turn right around and drive all the way back. And the highway is crowded with other rats doing the same thing!

Oh, and here's something else that's new. I just heard a new term today on the radio. Fellow says, we've go something now called the 'rat race.' Did you ever hear that one?

rat-race-cinema-quad-movie-poster-(1).jpg

Oh, and here's something else that's new. I just heard a new term today on the radio. Fellow says, we've go something now called the 'rat race.' Did you ever hear that one? It sure describes my life. I'm involved with something now called commuting. I drive into the city for work all day, and then turn right around and drive all the way back. And the highway is crowded with other rats doing the same thing!

The radio DJ has just heard of the term Rat Race? :lol

Do you think there will be any chance that he may come with two portraits (1 helmeted and 1 not), like this photo indicated.
image.jpg

Back