Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Man of Steel

Interesting. Williams prolly turned it down because how to you try a new take on what could be the greatest theme ever?

Zimmer is a great composer and is probably the right man for the particular Superman film they're making....but whether this particular approach to Superman is what we all want is another thing...TBD

I just wanted a really good old style Superman using Williams theme which sadly Returns was not. That film was surprisingly boring for the most part.

I can hum the Pirates theme or the Gladiator 'Now we are free' piece, to name a couple of examples. :dunno

However I really don't think Zimmer would try to do a 'memorable' catchy theme for Superman, because the Williams' version could be considered to be too good to attempt to outdo it (and if you're not going to outdo it, there's no point).

So I think it may be a similar approach to the Nolan Batman films - which to me is better than Elfman's work on Burton's films but obviously everyone's going to have their own opinion about it.

Can't remember any music from Elfman's Batman scores.

Can only remember moods from Zimmer's Batman scores.

Pirates theme is as cemented in my head as Indy, Superman, LOTR or Star Wars.

Elfman's theme was so synonymous with Batman that they didn't need to use any words for the title sequence in BtAS. You heard the theme, you knew who it was. Just like Williams' Superman score.

____ John Williams and Danny Elfman, they're old news.

Bring on the new. Hans Zimmer is so great and so versatile that he'll make everyone forget about those old themes and scores.

Everything from the 70s and 80s has been replaced and bettered. Theres just a few old farts that are constantly there to complain about the advancements and change due to nostalgia. You know what that is? Denial.

Johnny and Dan got nothing on Mr. Zimmer. Even without seeing the new film I know for certain that it will blow the old, hokey Donner films away. Just like the new Nolan films destroyed Burton's piece of crap turds.

All you need to do is look at the names that are attached (Nolan and Zimmer) to know this will be an epic, epic, film.

Last edited:

......and still

drsilberman-1.jpg

A lot of what you just said seems to contradict what I know about your likes, particularly RE Burton Batman films

Everything from the 70s and 80s has been replaced and bettered. Theres just a few old farts that are constantly there to complain about the advancements and change due to nostalgia. You know what that is? Denial.

Johnny and Dan got nothing on Mr. Zimmer. Even without seeing the new film I know for certain that it will blow the old, hokey Donner films away. Just like the new Nolan films destroyed Burton's piece of crap turds.

All you need to do is look at the names that are attached (Nolan and Zimmer) to know this will be an epic, epic, film.

:lecture :exactly:

:yess:

So true! Zimmer FTW! Out with the old and iconic and in with the new and generic!

:hi5:

:banana:banana:banana:joy

I just wanted a really good old style Superman using Williams theme which sadly Returns was not. That film was surprisingly boring for the most part.
I never understood such type of expression about SR since it was a classic attempt with modern visuals.
Still love almost every single bit of this one.

Aaaaaand srsly don't know how can anyone think about Williams score playing on the background of the dark modern Watchmen-like story.

I wonder what made him change his mind. Probably $$ + Nolan...

Hans Zimmer once made it totally clear that he wouldn't be scoring Zack Snyder's Man of Steel. He said:

"John Williams, the greatest living composer - full stop. And that happens to be one of his greatest themes. So, no. And I'm not thinking of rewriting Beethoven's Ninth either. It just sounds like a thankless task, you know? So that's unequivocally a no."

Back