Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know the final scene was light but I took the officer's irritation and the fact that the military was using drones at all as indicative of them being skeptical of Superman's loyalties. Thor's first film involved him coming to earth and drawing alien forces that destroyed a town and his last exchange with Coulson was pretty light too.

Of course we later found out through The Avengers that the US Government was then feverishing trying to develop weapons of mass destruction that could counter Thor-level threats so maybe we'll see some of that in MoS 2.
Yeah, the fact that the drone existed told one story, but the tone told another. So there was a bit of a disconnect there to me. I do expect they'll pursue this theme a bit further, because in a "real world" where Superman exists, it's one of the first, most obvious issues governments would confront. The Cold War was a time of peace between great nations because there was the prospect of "mutually assured destruction." There is no deterrent to Superman doing what he pleases, so this is a very frightening "world" where the idea of security would need to be redefined.

I could understand what Jor-El did if he thought somehow that there was value to the existing Kryptonian society, but there was this theme about how the naturally born son was the only way the society could continue (which itself is a weird idea, because how would he procreate if he's the only one?). Maybe they'll explore this a bit better in future films as well, but I was just left confused. What was that skull from, anyway? Did they explain that?

Yeah, the fact that the drone existed told one story, but the tone told another. So there was a bit of a disconnect there to me. I do expect they'll pursue this theme a bit further, because in a "real world" where Superman exists, it's one of the first, most obvious issues governments would confront. The Cold War was a time of peace between great nations because there was the prospect of "mutually assured destruction." There is no deterrent to Superman doing what he pleases, so this is a very frightening "world" where the idea of security would need to be redefined.

Yeah, that's kind of inherent problem with the Nolan approach to realism. They want to make movies that present a "realistic" world but still feature characters and events from formulaic superhero story. You really can't have both. EVERYTHING would be different if a character like Superman existed, and status quo would not be restored with an amusing one-liner.

What was that skull from, anyway? Did they explain that?

I was just going to ask that. :lol I got up to use the bathroom when Lois was chatting with some dude in a bar or something (figured it would be a good time to make an exit) and when I came back Jor-El was explaining the whole plot to Clark in the ice ship. :slap Did he say what the deal was with the half skull? What it did or who it originally belonged to?

I thought he walked the line pretty well with the first two Batman films, but those weren't stories that involved something this fantastic. If you scrutinize those movies then sure, they have their flaws. But I think it was much easier to accept the reality presented on the screen as something that made sense. With Superman it didn't feel like all the aspects of the story meshed together well, so the actions of characters sometimes felt very weird and took me out of the film.

Just a very basic thing--why was Lois out scaling the side of that glacier, inches away from falling to her death? That didn't feel like something a professional journalist would do.

Why do they even need Drones?

Superman told them that he's 33 years old, American and from Kansas. The troops zeroed in on Smallville. The Kryptonian flea ship that the government was right outside The Kent home.

How hard would it be for them to know that Clark Kent is Superman? Especially when Lois figured it out so easily. Hell, everyone on the entire planet knows that she knows who he is. Other than Superman, what would stop the Gov., Lex Luthor, or anyone that wanted to know who Superman was, who he loves or where he lives from getting to her?

Other than Superman, what would stop the Gov., Lex Luthor, or anyone that wanted to know who Superman was, who he loves or where he lives from getting to her?

Yeah Ma Kent can't be long for this world once Superman starts acquiring new enemies. :lol

I thought he walked the line pretty well with the first two Batman films, but those weren't stories that involved something this fantastic. If you scrutinize those movies then sure, they have their flaws. But I think it was much easier to accept the reality presented on the screen as something that made sense.

For me realism went out the window the first time the tumbler started flying on rooftops. So I take them all as just as "fantastic" as any other superhero movie but made with more traditional filmmaking conventions and acting styles typically utilized in more "realistic" films. So that's why the fantasy all pretty much gets a pass for me.

I was just going to ask that. :lol I got up to use the bathroom when Lois was chatting with some dude in a bar or something (figured it would be a good time to make an exit) and when I came back Jor-El was explaining the whole plot to Clark in the ice ship. :slap Did he say what the deal was with the half skull? What it did or who it originally belonged to?

I've wondered why the Codex was a half skull and whose it was too.

Last edited:
Supes ****ed up, no family, friends or loved ones for him!

Pa Kent sort of died for nothing.

Why would the source of life be in the image or form of a skull anyway.

Where I come from, Skulls mean death.

DNA mumbo jumbo plot more confusing than United States Tax laws.

They freaking witnessed an alien ship taking off from the ice and they knew Lois was obviously involved and they just let her go back to CNN.

The government would have picked up Ma Kent faster than a speeding bullet after these events.

Lessons learned by Marvel from MOS for Avengers 2:

-----------------

:lol

Don't forget allowing Lois on your army aircraft because she's the only one that knows how to put a key in a key hole.

They freaking witnessed an alien ship taking off from the ice and they knew Lois was obviously involved and they just let her go back to CNN.

Of course. Because other than a cauterized laser wound and her presence during a UFO liftoff what basis could she possibly have had for believing that an alien might actually be dwelling on Earth?

Don't forget allowing Lois on your army aircraft because she's the only one that knows how to put a key in a key hole.

That is pretty silly

but did they show her drinking scotch straight up so she can handle anything

Of course. Because other than a cauterized laser wound and her presence during a UFO liftoff what basis could she possibly have had for believing that an alien might actually be dwelling on Earth?

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Remember, Perry doesn't think we're ready for an Alien is amongst us story just yet anyways, so her secret is safe. :lol

Just like none of the cops or Police listen to Gordon in TDKR and make fun of the sewer thing despite their Commissionr being wounded, built up evidence of people being down there and strange activity going on all at once.

Then when they do listen, every cop/SWAT in the the city are sent in the same area and trapped for 5 months.

These DC movies are about as real as Jye's implants.

Back