Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, in the prequel comic the scout ship wasn't sent to the Sol system (Earth). It was sent to a completely different system. But a Kryptonian murderer... who was sentenced to death (for murdering Kara's boyfriend) but was freed by 2 members of the council who oppose Capital Punishment :)lol)... stowed aboard the ship, reset the course for Sol, and killed everyone but Kara who was in cryo-sleep. He then wakes her up because he wants her to be his mate and start a new race of Krytonians on Earth. They fight, the ship crashes on Earth, he is dead... and she walks out into the snowy ice age. End.

Again: Oh, Goyer...

So, are you telling me that Superman's suit really belongs to a woman?

Kara must have had one hell of a manly body for Supes to fit comfortably in that thing.

Wait, does that mean she went out side in the nude!?!

So, are you telling me that Superman's suit really belongs to a woman?

Kara must have had one hell of a manly body for Supes to fit comfortably in that thing.

Wait, does that mean she went out side in the nude!?!

No, that wasn't her suit.

In the comic, she was wearing a different suit. It's like his (sans cape), but it was all black, like Zod's.

:dunno

Which now explains Terminator 3. Holy crap, Skynet was trying to rebuild Krypton all along. :panic:

I think Skynet was born a little after the Ice Age but I might be wrong.

It still all connects though! Everything is canon!

Yeah... by simply turning the pod a little bit. :slap

Another part of the movie that's always bugged me.
That felt odd and unnecessary to me. They should have been able to figure out another way of building suspense IMO. Like, I don't know, Lois sticks it in at the last second.

Actually, in the prequel comic the scout ship wasn't sent to the Sol system (Earth). It was sent to a completely different system. But a Kryptonian murderer... who was sentenced to death (for murdering Kara's boyfriend) but was freed by 2 members of the council who oppose Capital Punishment :)lol)... stowed aboard the ship, reset the course for Sol, and killed everyone but Kara who was in cryo-sleep. He then wakes her up because he wants her to be his mate and start a new race of Krytonians on Earth. They fight, the ship crashes on Earth, he is dead... and she walks out into the snowy ice age. End.

Again: Oh, Goyer...
So they are trying to set the stage for Supergirl? I was wondering if she would be a part of this universe. Would also like to see Kandor in a bottle. . .and Mxyzptlk, though I guess Nolan won't allow that :(

The Prometheus analogy feels appropriate to me here, as the same feeling that there were some positives but lots of inconsistencies and no real relatable core to the film applies to that one, as well.

And here IrishJedi was giving me crap for Prometheus being one of my favorite science-fiction films. :lol ;)

The plot and script of PROMETHEUS is just as convoluted and poorly-written as MAN OF STEEL, if not even moreso. So we're good. ;)

large.jpg

If I was really interested in the sequel at all, I would hope that they not dive into the Supergirl story yet. Waiting until a 3rd or 4th film would feel like better pacing, considering we need to see Superman on his own as a character that society knows about, really being Superman. And Luthor surely deserves a film to focus explicitly on him. But that's another trend with comic movies like Captain America, where I think they are moving onto stuff (Winter Soldier) that would have more weight and dramatic value if they better explored the main protagonist first.

So the fact that this movie featured punching makes it uniquely bleak among superhero films? :confused:

And the Avengers punched and killed their way to victory before defying the US government as well. Is that a bleak movie?
THE AVENGERS showed people getting saved in the process and isolated the incident to a few blocks. How many times does of half of Metropolis being razed need to be brought up?

Superman breaks Zod's neck to save one small family after millions of innocents are killed. Yay...? Why didn't he do that at the beginning and save some property damage?

Then it's business as usual at the Daily Planet with NO sense of how long the ending takes place after the carnage.

Even going back to the Smallville fight, why didn't he use his ice breath to put out those fires? Sure, he saves one or two soldiers, but what about the civilians being roasted inside the 7-11? At that point, Ursa, I mean Faora and Non were after him. Why didn't he fly away to continue the fight in a deserted field?

To sum it up, I felt pumped and inspired after THE AVENGERS, but empty on the inside after MAN OF STEEL. Nothing can change those first impressions seeing these movies on the big screen.

It feels like, for an origin film, Goyer went too big and too bold.

This whole genetic engineer, codex and terraforming thing seems like something you'd establish in a second, third or even final film. That and the level of destruction on Metropolis and the the threat of Alien invasion.

I dunno, I think it would have been easier to digest if this one focused on the wow and wonder of Superman, like how America and the world would react to him if someone like that came to our world. Instead, it's like Superman sort have had to compete with Zod, the other Kryptonians, the scheme, for his very own, debut film.

I wonder what it would have been like if they dropped the codex/genetic birthing thing and just focused on Superman revealing himself to the world. Then again, there might not be super powered, super being battles which is where I think everyone wanted it to go after the dull Superman Returns.

Still, I think the character would have been more enjoyable if his first appearance wasn't having to turn himself over and dealing with this massive, apocalyptic threat. His origin, Lois Lane tracking him down, gaining America/Earth's acceptance, dealing with the Government, etc. could have been a compelling story/film on it's own.

I admire the scale and enormity, but it would be like if, back in Batman Begins, after we see Bruce become Batman they threw in TDKR's nuclear bomb/doomsday/closed off city plot. Atleast with Begins we got time to breathe with Batman starting out against thugs, the Mob, Falcone and Scarecrow. Poor Supes, as soon as he dons the cape these massive super beings rain down on the earth.

Where does it go from here? Can you have a threat like Lex Luthor? Brainiac? These comic book superhero movies seem to go with the bigger is better approach unfortunately (TDKR is proof of this). I doubt The writers would sit down and want a smaller, more personal story, not when you have a hero who does what he does. But what's left after you save earth from total terraforming, species dominance annihilation and you faced off against your super powered Kryptonian brothers?

When it comes to Goyer, he seems to obfuscate a distaste for standard narrative and over-compensates for that by filling these movies with all kinds of convoluted ideas. But Nolan seems to love that stuff.

I actually didn't have an issue with the city being destroyed during the fight and terra-forming machine parts. That's what fans demanded really, and it's something you see a lot of in comics (well, maybe not entire city blocks being destroyed, but. . .).

To Fabio's point, I don't think you need a bigger threat to follow this one, either. Just having another genuine threat to something the characters should care about is sufficient. Comics don't work by always having a bigger threat following the previous one.

filling these movies with all kinds of convoluted ideas. But Nolan seems to love that stuff.

Yeah, I've picked up on that.

What would be wrong with "small", personal stories for Superman or Batman? It could still have spectacle and blockbuster appeal.

It's like everything these days with these sort of movies have to have big, crazy-complicated doomsday devices. It's not like every comic issue has some big, crazy scheme where the fate of the entire city or world are at stake.

I'd love to see a detective Batman flick where the thing at stake is Batman's sanity. Or a Superman movie where it depicts Superman in our world dealing with human problems (that aren't missiles, Nuclear Men, Krypton land masses in the ocean, or genetic abominations).

I'm not talking about artsy, fartsy indie films either, just something a little more down to earth and relatable. Batman and Superman can fit into almost any genre or type of story. Why churn out the same crazy stuff?

It feels like, for an origin film, Goyer went too big and too bold.

This whole genetic engineer, codex and terraforming thing seems like something you'd establish in a second, third or even final film. That and the level of destruction on Metropolis and the the threat of Alien invasion.

I dunno, I think it would have been easier to digest if this one focused on the wow and wonder of Superman, like how America and the world would react to him if someone like that came to our world. Instead, it's like Superman sort have had to compete with Zod, the other Kryptonians, the scheme, for his very own, debut film.

I wonder what it would have been like if they dropped the codex/genetic birthing thing and just focused on Superman revealing himself to the world. Then again, there might not be super powered, super being battles which is where I think everyone wanted it to go after the dull Superman Returns.

Still, I think the character would have been more enjoyable if his first appearance wasn't having to turn himself over and dealing with this massive, apocalyptic threat. His origin, Lois Lane tracking him down, gaining America/Earth's acceptance, dealing with the Government, etc. could have been a compelling story/film on it's own.

I admire the scale and enormity, but it would be like if, back in Batman Begins, after we see Bruce become Batman they threw in TDKR's nuclear bomb/doomsday/closed off city plot. Atleast with Begins we got time to breathe with Batman starting out against thugs, the Mob, Falcone and Scarecrow. Poor Supes, as soon as he dons the cape these massive super beings rain down on the earth.

Where does it go from here? Can you have a threat like Lex Luthor? Brainiac? These comic book superhero movies seem to go with the bigger is better approach unfortunately (TDKR is proof of this). I doubt The writers would sit down and want a smaller, more personal story, not when you have a hero who does what he does. But what's left after you save earth from total terraforming, species dominance annihilation and you faced off against your super powered Kryptonian brothers?

That's why I kinda wish they'd stuck with Superman Returns and given it a sequel. You've already established the awe of Superman and seen him deal with smaller threats. Now move onto super-battles.

and we'd still have the Williams theme

I'm glad they didn't follow Returns simply because I think the kid angle was beyond stupid. But yeah, if they could have genuinely followed up on Reeve Superman with different/more serious threats (and not Luthor with another wacky real estate scheme) then I think it would have been preferable to what we got here.

But again, I don't think Reeve type Superman fits in with the DC Nolanverse, so I'm not sure how that would work in relation to a Justice League movie.

By the way, was there any after credits thing? I didn't stay to find out.

THE AVENGERS showed people getting saved in the process and isolated the incident to a few blocks. How many times does of half of Metropolis being razed need to be brought up?

You didn't bring up the razing of Metropolis. You said you thought the message of the film was "punch space terrorists." Given that I just wondered what kind of superhero movie you WOULD like if punching is off limits.

To sum it up, I felt pumped and inspired after THE AVENGERS, but empty on the inside after MAN OF STEEL. Nothing can change those first impressions seeing these movies on the big screen.

I hear you. I just don't think the "message" of the movie is to blame for your feelings. Sounds more like you viewed MoS like Spielberg's recent War of the Worlds. Sure it had a "happy" ending but the destruction and global turmoil was so great that it wasn't exactly an upbeat film.

Back