Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Irish did you get a chance to meet henry at all? Anyone? I met him face to face and he was honestly superman like. Soft spoken but commanding at the same time. One of the coolest people i have met and he made me believe.

I saw him on an show with that really funny blond british dude, he doesn't seem to assume the spotlight at all, very humble.

EDIT: Graham Norton show :lol I couldn't remember his name.

Well, for me Avengers is great, Thor is good

Avengers was all action for me, which is only natural because most characters were already given a movie, all the substance was in those movies.

Iron Man 1 was great, Thor is the best IMO hopefully they won't blow it with the sequel and I'd like a Hulk movie with Ruffalo, best movie Hulk so far.

Also, a Deadpool movie, my kingdom for a proper Deadpool movie.

Avengers was all action for me, which is only natural because most characters were already given a movie, all the substance was in those movies.

Iron Man 1 was great, Thor is the best IMO hopefully they won't blow it with the sequel and I'd like a Hulk movie with Ruffalo, best movie Hulk so far.

Also, a Deadpool movie, my kingdom for a proper Deadpool movie.

For me with the Marvel Phase 1 movies it goes:

Avengers
IM1
Thor
Cap
IM2/ TIH tied

For any Marvel movie

Avengers still best.

Celtic, you're this forum's filmaker in training, If you're not getting shot at, you're not doing your job. 'Course if you said you were rattled we could take the rest of the day off.

I think Jye is trying to get in your pants Celtic.

Donner's Superman is classic because it was the first of its kind ... not because its execution was perfect. Much like Star Wars. It broke new ground, and, in doing so, it took major risks. It was the first serious, grown-up rendition of the previously entirely-childish super-hero genre. It was the first, therefore it will always be classic/noteworthy ... even when something better comes along (which it has, repeatedly, as the genre has been refined).

The movie itself was very good, but far from perfect. Superman was due for an update ... in a new time, for a more discriminating audience, in a well-refined genre. It was due for better effects, and some course corrections in story, casting and character portrayals.

I thought Man of Steel was largely successful in updating Superman and correcting some of the flaws of Donner's. In its effort to separate itself from Donner, it made some good changes, a few interesting departures from mythology, and a couple of changes I wouldn't have made. I thought it gave more depth to Superman than Donner did ... introducing a more compelling and relatable character, as opposed to a beacon-of-perfection from day 1. I thought Lois Lane was much better portrayed, and Zod's motivation made far more sense. I thought Crowe's Jor-El was 10x more interesting than Brando's, and Snyder's Krypton was a lot more effective. I thought the "first live birth in centuries" storyline was very interesting, and a welcomed departure from previous mythology.

I also thought the idea of introducing Superman before Clark Kent was intriguing ... and the idea of letting Lois in-on-it from the outset was good (as opposed to her being an idiot for a movie or two). On the other hand, I thought some of the character choices for Jonathan Kent showed a complete misunderstanding of the character. I didn't care much for Jor-El's death. And, I'm not too sure about the neck-snap. I also wish they'd have worked-in the "Kneel" line ... and Williams' Superman theme (at least in the closing credits).

Man of Steel wasn't perfect either. But, I thought it was a successful re-imagining for a more refined audience. It fixed some of Donner's mistakes ... and probably made a couple of its own. As expected.

SnakeDoc

Donner's Superman is classic because it was the first of its kind ... not because its execution was perfect. Much like Star Wars. It broke new ground, and, in doing so, it took major risks. It was the first serious, grown-up rendition of the previously entirely-childish super-hero genre. It was the first, therefore it will always be classic/noteworthy ... even when something better comes along (which it has, repeatedly, as the genre has been refined).

The movie itself was very good, but far from perfect. Superman was due for an update ... in a new time, for a more discriminating audience, in a well-refined genre. It was due for better effects, and some course corrections in story, casting and character portrayals.

I thought Man of Steel was largely successful in updating Superman and correcting some of the flaws of Donner's. In its effort to separate itself from Donner, it made some good changes, a few interesting departures from mythology, and a couple of changes I wouldn't have made. I thought it gave more depth to Superman than Donner did ... introducing a more compelling and relatable character, as opposed to a beacon-of-perfection from day 1. I thought Lois Lane was much better portrayed, and Zod's motivation made far more sense. I thought Crowe's Jor-El was 10x more interesting than Brando's, and Snyder's Krypton was a lot more effective. I thought the "first live birth in centuries" storyline was very interesting, and a welcomed departure from previous mythology.

I also thought the idea of introducing Superman before Clark Kent was intriguing ... and the idea of letting Lois in-on-it from the outset was good (as opposed to her being an idiot for a movie or two).

Man of Steel wasn't perfect either. But, I thought it was a successful re-imagining for a more refined audience. It fixed some of Donner's mistakes ... and probably made a couple of its own. As expected.

SnakeDoc

:goodpost: This x1000

I also thought the idea of introducing Superman before Clark Kent was intriguing ... and the idea of letting Lois in-on-it from the outset was good (as opposed to her being an idiot for a movie or two). On the other hand, I thought some of the character choices for Jonathan Kent showed a complete misunderstanding of the character. I didn't care much for Jor-El's death. And, I'm not too sure about the neck-snap. I also wish they'd have worked-in the "Kneel" line ... and Williams' Superman theme (at least in the closing credits).

SnakeDoc

I agrees with you up to your last few sentences.
Jonathan Kent may have been off kilter to the comic book version but he was a JK for this film and therefore his character forts perfectly into the themes of the film.
Also I'm glad they made no reference to the old Williams score. This is it's own film and to do something like that would've been a retrograde step would make all they built up as its own film totally redundant. It's time to leave te Donner film behind look to the future with this reboot :)
(I also thing the new score is more rousing and epic IMO)

I don't think Superman The Motion Picture is perfect. But it's got things that make it the classic it is today.

Superman needed a reboot. But it needed one that wasn't...well...like that.

I don't think Superman The Motion Picture is perfect. But it's got things that make it the classic it is today.

Superman needed a reboot. But it needed one that wasn't...well...like that.

If you were 10 today and saw MOS, in 20 years you'd be saying the same thing about MOS you are saying about STMP.

Maybe. It depends.

For me, I like STMP because of it's characters, and themes it presents. Not so much the action, or effects. The feel and look too.

If I was born later in life, perhaps that would be the case, as in the future, all films will look like that. I know this because I have a Doctor friend who does that kind of crap. Someone must have ****ed **** up in the past because 2015 probably won't look like it did when I went there.

I agrees with you up to your last few sentences.
Jonathan Kent may have been off kilter to the comic book version but he was a JK for this film and therefore his character forts perfectly into the themes of the film.
Also I'm glad they made no reference to the old Williams score. This is it's own film and to do something like that would've been a retrograde step would make all they built up as its own film totally redundant. It's time to leave te Donner film behind look to the future with this reboot :)
(I also thing the new score is more rousing and epic IMO)

Agreed a 100% that's why I edited out the part he talked about JK :lol

I agree on the score as well, JW's was never interesting to me.

Sure MoS has it's flaws, but it's definitely the best Supes movie IMO, it was the reboot that Supes needed. :clap

C-P00P said:
Maybe. It depends.

For me, I like STMP because of it's characters, and themes it presents. Not so much the action, or effects. The feel and look too.

If I was born later in life, perhaps that would be the case, as in the future, all films will look like that. I know this because I have a Doctor friend who does that kind of crap. Someone must have ****ed **** up in the past because 2015 probably won't look like it did when I went there.
Of course its not a certainty what you would feel, but movies you see as a kid can never ever ever been seen objectively as an adult, to much happens subconsciously when you see a movie, regardless of how much you may think you can do it. Movies you see as a kid largely shape the way you view and enjoy movies as an adult, so you can't view a movie and have opinion of it as an adult if you haven't already seen a thousand movies as a child to form that opinion.

Only the most pretentious douches will claim they can objectively judge something that has already been in their conscious since childhood.

All this is only my opinion, of course.

Only the most pretentious douches will claim they can objectively judge something that has already been in their conscious since childhood.

I don't think this is true, the movies I saw when I was little didn't affect the way I judge movies today, at least in a way I can effectively see, for instance, movies like the gremlins stay in my mind as jewels, while movies like Burton's Batman and Superman TMP encounter a lot of criticism as an adult, all these movies I loved since I was a kid, that doesn't protect them from giving them the **** treatment from time to time.

I can honestly say even if I like a movie like critters, it sucks.

Or even Prometheus, I love that movie for what it represents, but I'm aware it was MAJOR flaws.

I think I am capable of separating my childish fanboyism from objective criticism, and I don't think I'm a pretentious ****** most of the time.

I'm not saying you're wrong. But that doesn't mean a film you enjoyed as a child doesn't hold up later in life for different reasons.

I watched Aliens as a child for the monsters, now I watch it for the characters. I can look at the film in an entirely new light. Sure, a lot of films don't hold up, but some do.

Like I said before, I didn't grow up with Superman The Motion Picture. I don't even like Superman. But I saw the flick after Returns came out. That weekend, actually. And I enjoyed it. And I've probably seen the film in it's entirety about...2 or 3 times. It's not my favorite film. But it's stuck with me. I really, enjoy watching it.

I do think it's a classic, that has a place. And it's not like I was mad they made this movie. I wanted to see it. I just thought it lacked everything I wish it had. Even when I got over what I wanted VS. what it is, it still didn't help because I still didn't like what it is.

Back