Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, of course about 40% of that $300 million (and counting) will have to be shared with theater owners. That still puts about $180 million profit in WB's pocket at this point.

I'm still trying to figure out where that $800 million target that Forbes put out a few weeks ago came from. The total cost of the movie worldwide (after marketing, distribution, etc) was under $400 million. I suppose they were unaware of the promotional offset (which will probably top out around $200-220 million), but still...

It should have no problem passing the World Wide take of Iron Man I, which is a good target for a launch movie.

Yeah, that's the more comparable Marvel film, actually.

Also, even factoring in inflation it's doing better than BATMAN BEGINS, too. Not too shabby, I'd think.

BoxOfficeMojo can continue mentioning it alongside HULK and GREEN LANTERN all they want. :lol

Yeah, of course it's Zack's fault. :lol

Damn right it's his fault. Unless the producers fired him off the gig and oversaw the sound edit themselves. That's a major part of his job, there are faults with MOS Irish, but you seem keen to blame everyone but Zack, which is admirable but misguided IMO. Did Goyer sit in on the mix too? :lol

And this from Forbes:

"So the pressure is on for Superman. Audiences will have to love the film and it will have to earn at least $800 million to be considered a hit and to spawn the kind of franchise Warner Bros. is surely hoping for."

Link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/dorothypomerantz/2013/06/13/why-reviews-matter-for-man-of-steel/

Actually there is a lot of talk going around regarding these mega budget movies and the potential implosion of Hollywood, Spielberg has been quite vocal of late.
Great article in The Times yesterday...

Last edited:
Does anyone know the actual marketing costs for Man of Steel? That's gotta be a huge factor in determining success or failure, but I haven't seen it anywhere. I'm also not sure how how the merchandising business works--presumably the production company gets some cut of that revenue, but how much?

Irish, how much of that goes to Legendary/Syncope?

Also, how are your bowels.

I'm not aware of the specific details of the Syncope deal, but Legendary covered 40% of the total production costs, and 25% of the marketing costs, so their cut of profits will be split accordingly.

Irish, how much of that goes in Snyders pants?

Probably enough to buy another Aston Martin. :panic:

Irish, how many famous people do you know?

Seven. (That includes you, of course). :wink1:

Damn right it's his fault. Unless the producers fired him off the gig and oversaw the sound edit themselves. That's a major part of his job
Oh, you're talking about the mix (level/volume of sound). I was under the impression you were referring to the music itself matching what's onscreen. And there wasn't anything that could be done there, short of simply not using what Zimmer scored (or pulling a Lucas).

Personally, I much preferred the temp track.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the actual marketing costs for Man of Steel? That's gotta be a huge factor in determining success or failure, but I haven't seen it anywhere. I'm also not sure how how the merchandising business works--presumably the production company gets some cut of that revenue, but how much?

Worldwide marketing and distribution costs will come in around between $155-$170 million. That's why I pointed out that the revenue from Promotional partners (already at $160 million) will off-set it. So either Forbes was unaware of that, or they were just completely talking out of their ***. And if so I'm still not figuring out their $800 million claim. I think that's just arbitrary conjecture.

What is meant by this??? Is this true?? Is this why the scores in the PT just don't seem to work? Is this yet another reason I can hate Lucas ;)

Oh yeah. All 3 movies (particularly AOTC & ROTS) feature music that was basically just Lucas and Ben Burtt cutting and pasting stuff that Williams actually scored for other scenes. Or looping Williams' music because they added/re-edited new FX shots after it was scored. The last 1/3 of AOTC, for example, was absolutely butchered.

Oh, you're talking about the mix (level/volume of sound). I was under the impression you were referring to the music itself matching what's onscreen. And there wasn't anything that could be done there, short of simply not using what Zimmer scored (or pulling a Lucas).

I was referring to both actually. The synchronicity of image and music, there were some great elements in Zimmer's score, but it was not utilised properly on screen. I presume Snyder directed Zimmer?

And regarding the cash, Zack is fine, Debs has a production credit, thats what matters for the major $$.

I was referring to both actually. The synchronicity of image and music, there were some great elements in Zimmer's score, but it was not utilised properly on screen. I presume Snyder directed Zimmer? At least I hope so.

And regarding the cash, Zack is fine, Debs has a production credit, thats what matters for the major $$.
Worldwide marketing and distribution costs will come in around between $155-$170 million. That's why I pointed out that the revenue from Promotional partners (already at $160 million) will off-set it. So either Forbes was unaware of that, or they were just completely talking out of their ***. And if so I'm still not figuring out their $800 million claim. I think that's just arbitrary conjecture.

Of all the publications that could be quoted, Forbes is probably the only one who I could safely say is not talking out of it's ***? I doubt very much they are incorrect with their figures.

This Sunday Times special is well worth a read if you see a copy...
photocopy_zps6b2069c9.jpg

Last edited:
Back