Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And this from Forbes:

"So the pressure is on for Superman. Audiences will have to love the film and it will have to earn at least $800 million to be considered a hit and to spawn the kind of franchise Warner Bros. is surely hoping for."

Link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/dorothypomerantz/2013/06/13/why-reviews-matter-for-man-of-steel/

Actually there is a lot of talk going around regarding these mega budget movies and the potential implosion of Hollywood, Spielberg has been quite vocal of late.
Great article in The Times yesterday...

Well, the film is still in theatres so Forbes can go sit down somewhere with their arbitrary number until the fat lady sings.

As for "the implosion of Hollywood," it might happen, but not for the stated reason. I hear the bigwigs think we ought to be paying $150 per ticket to see movies in a theatre. You would think that these studio moguls would have at least passed Economics 101 and understood the concept of elastic vs inelastic goods, but maybe not! Because if you want to kill every last theatre in the US dead, just implement that policy. be my guest.

For that kind of money I expect a private screening!

Theatregoing is the most stretchy good possible, and will get axed from people's budget in an instant should this be implemented. Movies at the local multiplex are not the equivalent of the Metropolitan Opera or a night at the New York City Ballet, and they better figure that out pronto.

Yeah, of course it's Zack's fault. :lol

Incidentally, it can be argued that no one is better at meshing music with onscreen imagery than him. It might be his #1 staple as a filmmaker, actually. If the score in MOS doesn't work for you, that's on Zimmer. He scored it to scene. He put the music to the imagery, not the other way around.

While I would not lay it all at Snyder's feet. He is responsible for the score also. Peter Jackson let his Oscar winning LOTR composer go when he did not like what he was doing for King Kong.

Ridley Scott changed the ALIEN score around a lot, using JG original score as well as his scores from other films.. He also had him rewrite some other parts of the score.

WF fired Lalo Schifrin from the Exorcist because he hated the score.

So to say that it is in no way ZS fault how the music score sounded or how it was mixed it not entirely true.

PS - ZS has nothing on QT or MS as far as "meshing music with onscreen imagery"

Wasn't it George Lucas who came up with that $150 a ticket idea? That guy is so clueless across the board that I can't take his prophesying on the issue very seriously.

And I would also guess Forbes isn't just pulling a number out of their ***. Doesn't seem like their MO. Would have been nice if they would have explicated their logic a bit better though.

As for "the implosion of Hollywood," it might happen, but not for the stated reason. I hear the bigwigs think we ought to be paying $150 per ticket to see movies in a theatre. You would think that these studio moguls would have at least passed Economics 101 and understood the concept of elastic vs inelastic goods, but maybe not! Because if you want to kill every last theatre in the US dead, just implement that policy. be my guest.

Theatregoing is the most stretchy good possible, and will get axed from people's budget in an instant should this be implemented. Movies at the local multiplex are not the equivalent of the Metropolitan Opera or a night at the New York City Ballet, and they better figure that out pronto.

Where did you hear that? Some people can hardly bring themselves to pay the $12 bucks they ask for it now. $150 bucks sounds ludicrous, surely this can be serious.

Well, the film is still in theatres so Forbes can go sit down somewhere with their arbitrary number until the fat lady sings.

Oh, I think MOS will reach that figure if not surpass it, it will take a while. But it's not a major cash cow just yet. And yeah, this $150 ticket thing is a joke. Just greed and opportunism, "lets just try it and see who is stupid enough to pay it."

:lol

Where did you hear that? Some people can hardly bring themselves to pay the $12 bucks they ask for it now. $150 bucks sounds ludicrous, surely this can be serious.

Among other places, here:

https://abcnews.go.com/blogs/busine...ket-prices-could-reach-150-says-george-lucas/

IMO this is the most arrant financial suicide, but like I said I guess Lucas never passed Economics 101. Like families are going to pay $150 each for themselves and three kids to see "Avengers 2" or whatever. :rotfl

Oh, I think MOS will reach that figure if not surpass it, it will take a while. But it's not a major cash cow just yet. And yeah, this $150 ticket thing is a joke. Just greed and opportunism, "lets just try it and see who is stupid enough to pay it."

:lol

Meet the $50 'World War Z' Movie Ticket: Here's What You Get
By Mark Deming | Movie Talk – Fri, Jun 14, 2013 12:24 PM EDT

Watch out everyone! $50 movie tickets are coming! (Photo: Paramount Pictures)

How much would you pay to be the first person on your block to see "World War Z"? Paramount Pictures and Regal Cinemas are betting that zombie and/or Brad Pitt fans are willing to dig deep for the chance to see the big budget zombie epic a few days ahead of schedule, to the tune of $50.

A limited number of "mega tickets" have been devised for mega fans. Early screenings of "World War Z" will be held in five cities on June 19, two days before the movie opens wide. Ordinary early tickets for the pre-release screenings will be available for $16.50 ($14.00 for children), already a bit steep for a mid-week showing, but Paramount is also offering their super-sized version for the princely sum of $48.75, which tops off at an even $50 when the $1.25 service fee is included.

So what does that $50 get you? Well, the screening is in RealD 3D, and you'll receive a pair of special collectable custom 3D glasses (which you presumably won't be asked to recycle after the show). You'll also get a full-size copy of a limited edition "World War Z" poster and a HD digital download of the film the day it becomes available on home video.
And because they're staying classy, the promoters are even throwing in a bag of popcorn. Small size, of course — but what do you want for fifty bucks?

By the way, it looks like these guys got to see it for free!

The luxury-priced screenings of Brad Pitt's zombie invasion movie are happening in Atlanta, Houston, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, and, yes, also in San Diego (pronounced San Dee-yah-go to "Anchorman" fans).
The mega ticket screenings are the first of their kind, according to Paramount, suggesting that if enough people are willing to part with half a Benjamin for the privilege of seeing "World War Z" a few days early — and get some goodies thrown in — this could become a regular part of the launch cycle for event movies.

In an amusing coincidence, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas spoke at an event at the University of Southern California on Wednesday, where the veteran filmmakers offered dire predictions about the future of the movie industry as budget for potential blockbusters continue to grow.

"There's going to be an implosion where three or four or maybe even a half-dozen mega-budget movies are going to go crashing into the ground, and that's going to change the paradigm," Spielberg said.

As a consequence, Spielberg said he expects a future where theaters and studios will maximize profits by charging more for major attractions. "You're gonna have to pay $25 for the next 'Iron Man,' you're probably only going to have to pay $7 to see 'Lincoln,'" Spielberg said.

Congratulations, Mr. Spielberg! In less than 48 hours, your prediction came true — and then some. Can we interest you in a poster and a small bag of popcorn?

I was referring to both actually. The synchronicity of image and music, there were some great elements in Zimmer's score, but it was not utilised properly on screen. I presume Snyder directed Zimmer? At least I hope so.

Zack was around and was there when the scoring was actually recorded. But Zimmer was basically given carte blanche to do whatever he wanted with the score... and that didn't come from Zack. As I said from the very beginning, signing off on Goyer's script and bringing in Zimmer were the two biggest creative contributions Nolan made to this movie as a producer. Those are his boys. After they turned in their work everyone had to work with what they had. :dunno

Of all the publications that could be quoted, Forbes is probably the only one who I could safely say is not talking out of it's ***? I doubt very much they are incorrect with their figures.
Well, they're absolutely wrong about that $800 million needed. I know that for a fact. I can only surmise they weren't privy to the actual Marketing & Distribution numbers and were completely unaware of the tie-in revenue from the Promotional partners. Those are significant data points.

This Sunday Times special is well worth a read if you see a copy...
photocopy_zps6b2069c9.jpg
That does look like an interesting article. I will track it down. :hi5: And, for the record, I'm actually in agreement with Spielberg on his recent comments regarding the Blockbuster bubble getting ready to burst at some point.

The bigger the movie budget, the more expensive the movie ticket.

It's coming.

Yeah. That was one of the things that Spielberg explicitly predicted, too. And I agree.

But that's fine. Because I'd rather pay about $7 to see something like MUD than $20 to see TRANSFORMERS 4.

Piracy and downloading would surely increase massively if cinema tickets were ever to cost $150 each. Am I reading that right? Surely I must not be...

The bigger the movie budget, the more expensive the movie ticket.

It's coming.

Cool. Even more reason to stay right here at the house. I can wait for the BluRay, no biggie.

I am NOT putting up with the noise and distraction presented by other theatre patrons, for more than about eight bucks at the matinee. That's my upper limit, and eight bucks is pushing it. Not with some kid kicking the back of my seat.....

Piracy and downloading would surely increase massively if cinema tickets were ever to cost $150 each. Am I reading that right? Surely I must not be...

You can do that now.

High Def Digest:

PRIMA Cinema Brings Hollywood Premieres Home in 4:2:2, 10-bit Quality

$35,000 and an approved home theater nets you a $500 day and date option.

Prima Cinema is now offering first-run theatrical films for private home theaters under a model that is as pricey as it is exclusive. As detailed by a review at Digital Trends, becoming a member of PRIMA Cinema involves having a dealer approve your home theater. Criteria includes having a serious 115" range screen and projector in place to start but also includes a limit of a twenty-five seat maximum.

After the $35,000 investment for the 2TB networked, PRIMA player, each 2D film costs $500 while 3D movies cost $600. That fee grants the user one 24 hour period to watch the film a single time. Movies are downloaded rather than streamed and can be paused, but cannot be fast forwarded or rewound.

The PRIMA player features dual power supplies, dual Ethernet, and dual output HDMI. The system is designed to work under adverse conditions, such as a power supply failure, but the dual HDMI only uses the second HDMI port for audio. Audio is delivered in multi-channel LPCM.

Due to severe levels of concern over security regarding the content, biometric identification supplied from the fingerprint from the living user is required to operate and utilize the player, and any attempt to circumvent the hardware or software will cause the player to lock and require dealer servicing. Attempting to capture the image onscreen will yield a player-specific watermark.

The player is essentially option free once set-up by the dealer. Controls are limited to selecting which movie to play. Once selected, movies download in the background, but will only begin playing once completed.

The system is capable of HFR films in 2D but not 3D. The 3D signal supplied by the player is full 1080p/24 frame 10-bit 4:2:2 stereoscopic so that neither eye lacks for resolution.

As of now, content is limited to films from Universal, Lionsgate, Focus Features, Cinedigm, and Magnolia, but PRIMA is pursuing other major studios.

After entreating readers not to overly balk at the system's exclusively priced and designed business model, the review described the playback experiences over a two week period as without stutter, glitch or hiccup. "Lived with it for almost two weeks... Then wept bitterly when it left."

The overall opinion about this movie is good, but it has some very strong negative opinions.

I have stated this before. I don't think that the haters are filled with that much hate.... disappointment yes. Lots of disappointment. But if not being 100% in love with a film and finding flaws with it means you hate it then I don't know where the discussion can go from there.

Its pretty well-liked, but the people who do NOT like it are very vocal indeed about how horrible it is and how much they hate it and how Kal-El is not behaving like a literal clone of Jesus Christ and this is wrecking their world [puns intended] etc etc blah. There are websites out there who for a while there, were publishing a negative article a day about it.

We have people in this thread who have been arguing for a hundred+ pages about how "bad" it is. In fact, for well over a hundred pages.

If you liked it great, if you didn't you didn't - but the film is made at this point, and no amount of arguing is going to change it. Some people seem to feel that if they argue HARD ENOUGH the script is going to magically change, or something.

And there you have it.

See below comment.

I must have you mixed up with someone else because I'm sure you wouldn't attack people for doing this while yourself having done it in the Prometheus thread relentlessly - to the extreme frustration of that film's fans.

Funny thing is, I don't even really go after the movie, unless someone brings up a point going "SEE! THESE PEOPLE ARE RONG".

I'm like....***** please.

There is a lot of this that goes on... Not sure why.

It's strange because I have no problem with people not liking a film I love. Sure I might think they are crazy :) but I don't take it personally. The way people defend a film I think they feel as though it's a personal attack on them and not on the film itself.

Without pointing out any names I saw some of this exact behavior on the IM3 thread. :)

So I would like to say from here on out... Anytime I criticize a film, I am in no way going after supporters or fans of the film :) ;) :) Peace, Love, and good happiness stuff :peace

Even though about 80% of what Tarantino does is ape what Sergio Leone did as closely as possible, it does certainly work!

Sure he uses EM scores but that is not all he does. I would say that since 90% of the music he uses is not Ennio's music (other then Django) that he does plenty of meshing all by himself.

Cool. Even more reason to stay right here at the house. I can wait for the BluRay, no biggie.

I am NOT putting up with the noise and distraction presented by other theatre patrons, for more than about eight bucks at the matinee. That's my upper limit, and eight bucks is pushing it. Not with some kid kicking the back of my seat.....

A great geek crowd can make a great movie even better.

Avengers for me was a great movie experience with a packed crowd.

Hmmmmmmm.... Not sure if I like them using the JAWS image. While I get the meaning and the fact that JAWS was the first Summer Blockbuster... It's not like it was made to be a "big summer film".. Add that to the fact that the film is cleaver in it's character development, script and directing... But JAWS was the beginning of the end. Hollywood saw those numbers and just wanted to hit it over and over.

Perhaps they are saying JAWS was Big and Clever but other films are not...

I know I am reading to much into this... I just feel bad that JAWS gets blamed in some way for killing the more independent serious films that Hollywood use to make.

Funny thing is about those early Blockbusters like JAWS and Star Wars... Nobody was expecting it when they were being made.

Hmmmmmmm.... Not sure if I like them using the JAWS image. While I get the meaning and the fact that JAWS was the first Summer Blockbuster... It's not like it was made to be a "big summer film".. Add that to the fact that the film is cleaver in it's character development, script and directing... But JAWS was the beginning of the end. Hollywood saw those numbers and just wanted to hit it over and over.

Perhaps they are saying JAWS was Big and Clever but other films are not...

I know I am reading to much into this... I just feel bad that JAWS gets blamed in some way for killing the more independent serious films that Hollywood use to make.

Funny thing is about those early Blockbusters like JAWS and Star Wars... Nobody was expecting it when they were being made.

I think you are taking the use of the Jaws image too personally. :lol
They are actually talking about the recent crop of big budget soul less CG fests that are raking in the $ regardless of the quality of the movie. Spielberg sounds pretty depressed about the current state of movies in the article.

Back