Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You cannot break through my stubbornness on this one, I should just tell you off the bat.

I am preprogrammed now to not like any Superman film as much as I otherwise could if the Williams theme were used. The same applies to any other Superman entertainment like that animated movie with Doomsday. Cool...but no Williams theme. I fear those words will be the best I can manage about any future Superman film. In a way, John Williams has ruined Superman. ***k you John Williams.

Don't get me wrong I love the Williams theme too, but I don't blame them for wanting to distance themselves from the Reeve films and the god-awful Routh remake/sequel.

Off topic but one theme I feel they could've kept using was the Terminator theme. Salvation was still meant to be a sequel/prequel, so why not use the theme then?

I disagree, there were many emotional, memorable songs that played during the film. Things don't become "iconic" in a few days, It'll take a while for it to set in.

Tell that to the JAWS, Star Wars, Indy, ET, Close Encounters, and Superman themes.

Granted Williams has an amazing skill so it's not fare to compare any composer with him, but there are other scores that become iconic pretty quickly Gone with the Wind, James Bond, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, The Lord of the Rings films all had great themes that I was humming when I left the theater, Batman, Psycho, Halloween, etc... the list goes on..

I am not sure Zimmer has come close to these with any of his scores. MOS IMO is really a far cry from any of these also.

But you are right. Time will tell.

Put this music in a Transformers movie and nobody would be talking about it, let alone defending it or bashing it... It would be.... Well it would just be.

Yeah, it seems like to have the chance to be "iconic" something has to be pretty distinctive and memorable to start out with. I just played the theme on Youtube, since I really didn't remember it at all, and it's serviceable IMO, but it's not something I think little kids will walk away from the movie humming to themselves.

I have the score and every time I listen to it I imagine that it is for a mo ie other than Superman. It just does not fit. I still say Giacchino would of be great, as well as Brian Tyler, Steve Jablonsky, and Ramin Djawni. Anyone but Zimmer would of been perfect for this. All of those drums! Did anyone else know that Sheila E. was one of the drummers on this?

Tell that to the JAWS, Star Wars, Indy, ET, Close Encounters, and Superman themes.

Granted Williams has an amazing skill so it's not fare to compare any composer with him, but there are other scores that become iconic pretty quickly Gone with the Wind, James Bond, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, The Lord of the Rings films all had great themes that I was humming when I left the theater, Batman, Psycho, Halloween, etc... the list goes on..

I am not sure Zimmer has come close to these with any of his scores. MOS IMO is really a far cry from any of these also.

But you are right. Time will tell.

Yeah I'm not comparing Zimmer to William's, obviously Williams has quite a few memorable and iconic themes under his belt. But I don't think it's fair to say Zimmer didn't have any memorable or emotional songs himself in MOS.

Put this music in a Transformers movie and nobody would be talking about it, let alone defending it or bashing it... It would be.... Well it would just be.

Now that's taking it a little too far. :lol

Don't get me wrong I love the Williams theme too, but I don't blame them for wanting to distance themselves from the Reeve films and the god-awful Routh remake/sequel.

Off topic but one theme I feel they could've kept using was the Terminator theme. Salvation was still meant to be a sequel/prequel, so why not use the theme then?

I get that also... As I said, while I think it could have been used in some way, I understand why they wanted to go in another direction. There is just not a musical moment during the film that says "this is Superman".

I have to agree there. There's really nothing special or remarkable about it, even if it's good music. It's definitely missing that instantly iconic touch that connects to your very core and helps make everything that much more emotional.

Now I think the score works better in this TV add.... Where the score is boosted up. I don't recall there ever being a moment in the film where this theme stood out.. It was there in small doses. (flight) but I don't recall the full blown theme being used during any heroic moment. (Oh that's right he did not really have any after the first hour)...... I Kid :)

[ame]https://youtu.be/urpwrbPYKnQ[/ame]

I was reading the Making of/Art book the other day, and certainly gained a greater appreciation of the making of the movie. But at the same time, it reinforced my opinion. There is some spot-on casting and the costume/production design is incredible. But reading that book backed up the RedLetterMedia view that the movie is tailor-made for making trailers: Big stars, impressive visuals, and repetitive quotes.

As a film, it's a disjointed "celebration of excess." It seems the fans who do love it, love it because it's a big shiny Superman film, utilizing effects for action never seen in a Superman film before, and there's some ham-fisted dialogue that give it "emotion." From the trailers, they were gonna love it no matter what.

But something is still missing. I totally admire Zack, but I've always felt he was a director who's only as good as his material. He's got a great eye for visuals, but never elevates what isn't already in the story. ie, DAWN OF THE DEAD, and WATCHMEN are masterpieces in my book, but then you have SUCKER PUNCH, and 300 which was just "super cool" eye-candy.

But here, there is a world filled with the distinctive visuals we'd expect from Snyder, but seen from a desaturated lens, covered with blue filters, and shot with shaky, zoom in handicam blandness. For me, the visuals never transcend the script's weaknesses.

So who dropped the ball? Is it Goyer? Maybe, but it's the director and producer's jobs to make sure the script is satisfactory. Is it Nolan? His distaste for comics is obvious, and the bleak visuals seem more inline with his previous work. Is it Snyder? I'd hate to think so since he obviously loves the material and genre, but why does the cinematography looks so bland and generic, when the costumes, and sets have that Snyder flair?

I've said it before; this could be a good film with an extended cut that fleshes out some of the characters. But the monstrous excesses of Krypton and the last act make it feel more like a violent cartoon made for the ADD generation, than anything concerned with giving them a Superman they can aspire to be like.

I had forgotten about that. They only used part of it when CG Arnold appeared. Did it even play in the credits?

Incidentally the Terminator theme, I would have to say, objectively, isn't the best bit of music. There's probably a few others that I'd rank above it despite my Terminator obsession.

Now I think the score works better in this TV add.... Where the score is boosted up. I don't recall there ever being a moment in the film where this theme stood out.. It was there in small doses. (flight) but I don't recall the full blown theme being used during any heroic moment. (Oh that's right he did not really have any after the first hour)...... I Kid :)

https://youtu.be/urpwrbPYKnQ

Zack used that cue in much the same way in the second to last trailer. It appears to be this movie's "hero theme". But, for whatever reason, Zimmer actually scored it for the End Title Card and Credits. :dunno It's used in the movie in places, but those cues are not nearly as triumphant as this one.

I agre. This movie could of been great. Should of been great. This movie reminds me of hollow chocolate looks great tastes great, but nothing on the inside.

As a film, it's a disjointed "celebration of excess." It seems the fans who do love it, love it because it's a big shiny Superman film, utilizing effects for action never seen in a Superman film before, and there's some ham-fisted dialogue that give it "emotion." From the trailers, they were gonna love it no matter what.

Guilty as charged.

EDITED due to mistakes in text.

Last edited:
Guilty as charged.

Devil's advocate position here: I liked the DotD remake, and I own it on DVD. But something about that just never struck me with the intensity of the 1970's original - I never really cared about anyone in the remake, with the exception of Bub the zombie.... and even so, I felt the original Bub just was light-years better. The new Bub was almost too sympathetic. Not to mention, the original Bub was a pretty good shot, even considering decay-induced lack of fine motor control.

The new one completely got rid of that enforced claustrophobia of the original - nobody was trapped in a relatively small space together, progressively getting on each other's nerves worse and worse... the remake had everyone just running all over the place.

I felt the exact same way about the first Star Trek reboot movie, but that is just me. :wink1:

You're confusing Dawn of the Dead with Day of the Dead.

Bub was in Day from the 80's, not Dawn from the 70's.

Back