Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gladiator is my favourite Zimmer score.

Its my favorite score of his too.

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions and loyal servant to the TRUE emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Man of steel in my estimation would of made a great sequel. As an original revamp of a movie it left me feeling ambivalent about the character and where he goes from here. What superman does and goes through happens all too suddenly for a first outing for someone who goes on to become one of our greatest fictional heroes. If he would if came out done something great, shown the world what he can do constructively this would of gotten less flack. Then in part two force him to do the unthinkable and be in a situation where he had to kill.

Devil's advocate position here: I liked the DotD remake, and I own it on DVD. But something about that just never struck me with the intensity of the 1970's original - I never really cared about anyone in the remake, with the exception of Bub the zombie.... and even so, I felt the original Bub just was light-years better. The new Bub was almost too sympathetic. Not to mention, the original Bub was a pretty good shot, even considering decay-induced lack of fine motor control.

I think you may have confused 3 to 4 different films in this write up.

Gladiator is my favourite Zimmer score.

Its up there along with Lion King.

Man he's scored alot of movies. :lol

It's sad though that the music from the Battlefield 2 and 3 videogames are more catchy than his Superman score. :(

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5_fgv6VfXQ&sns=em[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osXgXJmH2-k&sns=em[/ame]

I'm confused, as well. I don't recall seeing Bub in Zach's Dawn remake. I know a supposedly putrid Day of the Dead remake was made but I've avoided it like the plague.

Yeah, stay away from the direct to DVD Day remake, far away.

Its my favorite score of his too.

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions and loyal servant to the TRUE emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Great quote. :rock

I'm OK with him killing here, but only if they keep building on that theme in future films, where he starts justifying murder more and more often until he ultimately becomes Justice Lord Superman (of course, he only had to kill one guy to do that in the JL cartoon).

[ame]https://youtu.be/hobP_7pPV4s[/ame]

Truly a Superman for a darker, Nolan DC Universe where this is how he starts off his superheroing career.

I'm confused, as well. I don't recall seeing Bub in Zach's Dawn remake. I know a supposedly putrid Day of the Dead remake was made but I've avoided it like the plague.

Point taken, will edit original post.

But yeah.... that Day of the Dead remake was not really all that, the plot was completely changed and that made it pretty much worthless. Except for Bub, the only remotely likeable character onscreen. 1980s Bub FTW.

Last edited:
Exactly where I fear this version may go. After you kill the first time it gets easier the second.

Man of steel in my estimation would of made a great sequel. As an original revamp of a movie it left me feeling ambivalent about the character and where he goes from here. What superman does and goes through happens all too suddenly for a first outing for someone who goes on to become one of our greatest fictional heroes. If he would if came out done something great, shown the world what he can do constructively this would of gotten less flack. Then in part two force him to do the unthinkable and be in a situation where he had to kill.

You make a good point had superman returns never existed. However that movie does exist and was reviled for having only 2 actions scenes throughout its entire run time. I think they were trying to distance themselves and avoid the same criticisms that SR received. Maybe a bit of over compensation yes, but it was a reaction to superman returns which was light action, had more Clark kent "character focus and heavy dialog that was heavy/had heart (regardless if people agrees with the direction singer took)

I thought MoS was great, but I do understand peoples complaints I just don't think they are considering the reason why it went with action in favor of more character development since they tried that with SR before and failed miserably.

Since the box office take of MOS squashed superman returns I think we know what the general public prefered

People were asking for stuff like this in a live action Superman movie, and they got it:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8LDhrG89MA[/ame]

That's why this should have been done in the sequel. Killing here there is no dichotomy between what he wants to be to what he has to do. In this movie the choices were hard and from here you would expect them to be easier. But once you kill the next time your in that position it's like well I did what I had to do last time so . . .

Its up there along with Lion King.

Man he's scored alot of movies. :lol

It's sad though that the music from the Battlefield 2 and 3 videogames are more catchy than his Superman score. :(

Video games offer some of the best scores of any media these days. One of the best of the last decade is this...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgcq_ZtqbO0&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgcq_ZtqbO0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

You make a good point had superman returns never existed. However that movie does exist and was reviled for having only 2 actions scenes throughout its entire run time. I think they were trying to distance themselves and avoid the same criticisms that SR received. Maybe a bit of over compensation yes, but it was a reaction to superman returns which was light action, had more Clark kent "character focus and heavy dialog that was heavy/had heart (regardless if people agrees with the direction singer took)

I thought MoS was great, but I do understand peoples complaints I just don't think they are considering the reason why it went with action in favor of more character development since they tried that with SR before and failed miserably.

Since the box office take of MOS squashed superman returns I think we know what the general public prefered

Can't really argue with this.

That's why this should have been done in the sequel. Killing here there is no dichotomy between what he wants to be to what he has to do. In this movie the choices were hard and from here you would expect them to be easier. But once you kill the next time your in that position it's like well I did what I had to do last time so . . .

... Or, it could be: "I did what I thought I had to do last time, and that involved taking a life. The repercussions of that were severe, including within myself. I'm never going there again, and won't let my morals be compromised again, so...."

Very good take. In many ways, this film was a direct response to feedback from RETURNS. And I'm sure they'll take some of the feedback from MAN OF STEEL (however schizo in light of the RETURNS complaints) and tweak the formula again next time. Hopefully they'll find a happy medium and almost everyone will be satisfied.

His first villain to kill did not have to be Zod. Zod could of been banished to the phantom zone like the others and Superman stands triumphant. Show some reaction shots to his appearance, let him save a few people, introduce Clark and end it. Part two have led and the government work on a plan to counteract superman should be become a threat to human lives- like he kills someone- and introduce mogul or doomsday and have superman be forced to kill them. This creates a situation where someone who has always been a hero must now make a choice to do the unthinkable to save the people he has always protected since day one. As it is no one knows who he is why he's here except that he can cause a lot of damage, but knows Otho g of his potential for good.

Or, you know, it could do the opposite... provide a solid reason for why Superman ultimately adopts his Absolutely No Killing policy.

He's never had a no kill policy. He has killed when the situation called for it. Batman is the one who does not kill ever. Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Green Arrow, have all killed before. Bruce is about the only one and he killed Darkseid. But he has done loads of other morally questionable things. So I don't get all the Superman does not kill people. Anyone who says that has not been keeping up with comics. And none of the people he's killed have happened in the new 52.

He's never had a no kill policy. He has killed when the situation called for it. Batman is the one who does not kill ever. Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Green Arrow, have all killed before. Bruce is about the only one and he killed Darkseid. But he has done loads of other morally questionable things. So I don't get all the Superman does not kill people. Anyone who says that has not been keeping up with comics. And none of the people he's killed have happened in the new 52.

Somebody forgot to inform Mr Burton that batman doesn't kill. Also he did kill raz by blowing up the bridge and letting him die in the train. In fact that scene mirrors the scene in MoS where the hero is left with no choice but to kill. Yes he didn't break his neck but he blew his *** up.

Back