Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You seem to have missed all those posts where they glorified the Donner movies and used them to undermine MoS in comparison, like if the Donner films were perfect, that mindset has established by the fact that indeed the Donner films were thrown as a retort to our posts, Also, no one is pretending MoS is flawless, we just don't agree that it has as many issues as some point out, in fact IMO the Donner movies have a whole load more.

Again, you're stuck in that MoS loop of pigeonholing mindset of "if you find a single flaw in this but loved Reeve, you hate this and found Reeve's films perfect." We're not like the modern WB (Nolan) fanboys. :lol I also grew up on the Reeve movies. Myself and everybody else who loved them (at least 1-2, because 3 was meh and 4 was atrocious) wholly agree that they lacked the key component we always wanted to see: Superman going ***** out (which was likely technological hindrance). Despite that, they perfectly capture Superman's "more human than human" aspect, a key component in who he is. This film, while a blast watching Supes go full bore, was found lacking in that fundamental character aspect that makes Superman different from any other "sock-em-up" hero.

Perhaps I was stuck in that mindset, but with good reason.

I can respect your take while disagreeing, but it'd be hypocritical for you to compare me with the Nolan fanboys (no to confuse with fans) when the people who disliked MoS have expressed themselves in the exact same manner as us.

Perhaps I was stuck in that mindset, but with good reason.

I can respect your take while disagreeing, but it'd be hypocritical for you to compare me with the Nolan fanboys (no to confuse with fans) when the people who disliked MoS have expressed themselves in the exact same manner as us.

I was generalizing, not fingerpointing. I think my biggest disappointment/frustration is the fact that WB can't seem to be competent enough to cover both aspects. To them it's either or. It literally would've taken another few minutes tops a broken up minute tops showing Superman rescuing people here and there during the fight and a 2-3 minute scene at the end showing him using his X-ray vision to locate and rescue trapped survivors. I'm not sure if that was in the script, but it should've been in the movie. If they'd done that, I don't think there'd be nearly even half as many disappointed fans.

I'm still okay with his not saving people. I get that people like the idea of Superman "preventing collateral damage," but the fact of the matter is that he's green. Superman put that suit on the same day, and, before that, he'd never even been in a fight before. Now, he's tasked with defeating multiple Kryptonians that are just as powerful as he is, if not moreso, he's bound to make mistakes. The casualties are those mistakes. If anything, he should learn from them, so, perhaps, we should wait to see what happens next.

That excuse will always be bull****. He puts on the suit, and then he forgets about saving human beings? The hell? The suit means nothing. It's a symbol. A symbol of DESTRUCTION.

Man of Steel is the Superman movie for Batman fans.

That excuse will always be bull****. He puts on the suit, and then he forgets about saving human beings...while being punched in the face by a dude with the Kryptonian equivalent of brass knuckles on? The hell? The suit means nothing. It's a symbol. A symbol of DESTRUCTION.

Man of Steel is the Superman movie for Batman fans.

Yep, total bull****.

I'm still okay with his not saving people. I get that people like the idea of Superman "preventing collateral damage," but the fact of the matter is that he's green. Superman put that suit on the same day, and, before that, he'd never even been in a fight before. Now, he's tasked with defeating multiple Kryptonians that are just as powerful as he is, if not moreso, he's bound to make mistakes. The casualties are those mistakes. If anything, he should learn from them, so, perhaps, we should wait to see what happens next.

The "he's green" excuse, though, completely negates his whole reason for growing up in Kansas. It's the "smallville" mentality that makes Superman the boyscout. This Superman could've grown up in Los Angeles, Detroit, NYC, etc., and still had the same mentality. That's why him saving people is what's one of the more unique aspects to Superman, vs. other heroes.

So, people in Kansas are somehow more receptive to a person in trouble while having a fist slammed into their face? I'm just saying that, especially for someone who's never been in a fight before, Superman might not have been paying much attention to his surroundings.

So, people in Kansas are somehow more receptive to a person in trouble while having a fist slammed into their face? I'm just saying that, especially for someone who's never been in a fight before, Superman might not have been paying much attention to his surroundings.

This Superman goes out of his way to bring the destruction to Smallville, when he could have just whooped Zod's *** in the cornfield.

That part could have been done differently. At the same time, though, would you have been rationalizing where you needed to land if it had been your mother that Zod was threatening and you were in Superman's position? Sometimes emotions running high defy logic.

That part could have been done differently. At the same time, though, would you have been rationalizing where you needed to land if it had been your mother that Zod was threatening and you were in Superman's position? Sometimes emotions running high defy logic.

Well, given what was established in this movie, all she'd have to do is hold up her hand to stop Clark from saving her. :nana:

Hey, I'll acknowledge, as I have before, that said part was my least favorite part of the film.:lol A dog, man. A ****ing dog...

IDK man, my dogs are part of my family, I would have done the same, while trying to stay alive myself though :lol

The tornado scene could have been suppressed, or at least handled better.

The "he's green" excuse, though, completely negates his whole reason for growing up in Kansas. It's the "smallville" mentality that makes Superman the boyscout. This Superman could've grown up in Los Angeles, Detroit, NYC, etc., and still had the same mentality. That's why him saving people is what's one of the more unique aspects to Superman, vs. other heroes.

The "he's green" justification negates nothing regardless his nature, which is still intact in MoS, it only explains his lack of expertise at handling a full scale alien invasion single handedly while still not having control over his visceral reactions, because he had never been in such situation.

The "he's green" justification negates nothing regardless his nature, which is still intact in MoS, it only explains his lack of expertise at handling a full scale alien invasion single handedly while still not having control over his visceral reactions, because he had never been in such situation.

You might need to re-read my post. You completely missed my point. :lol

You're saying that somehow MoS Superman lacks the boy scout nature that can only be gained in Kansas, thus, this Supes might as well had been born anywhere else because "he doesn't save people"? Is that what you mean? Not so sure I follow :lol

IDK man, my dogs are part of my family, I would have done the same, while trying to stay alive myself though :lol

The tornado scene could have been suppressed, or at least handled better.

Hey, I have a dog, too, and I love that little dude, but, if he were in the path of a tornado and my son was Superman, I'd either tell my son to go get him or that dog would be toast. No way in hell, though, am I, a 50 year old man, going to jump in between a bunch of cars in the midst of a tornado to save him, though.:lol

You're saying that somehow MoS Superman lacks the boy scout nature that can only be gained in Kansas, thus, this Supes might as well had been born anywhere else because "he doesn't save people"? Is that what you mean? Not so sure I follow :lol

Whether Kryptonian or just plain mortal, it should've been an inherent part of Superman's character. This is the whole reason for the "stereotypical" small town upbringing. Not having that aspect negates the whole purpose of Smallville other than superficially namedropping as a backhanded slap to the comic geeks.

Hey, I have a dog, too, and I love that little dude, but, if he were in the path of a tornado and my son was Superman, I'd either tell my son to go get him or that dog would be toast. No way in hell, though, am I, a 50 year old man, going to jump in between a bunch of cars in the midst of a tornado to save him, though.:lol

"Well guys, time to start thinking of what kinda puppy we wanna get next. Spot's a gonner!" :lol Agree 100%. It's a dog.

Back