Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol That's fine...I'll bite. :hi5:

That cannot be real the argument, because the super powers are just window dressing.

If this "...core as a good person..." is something he possessed, this actually supports my thought that it was trained into him by his families. It didn't just suddenly appear. So the need for his doleful mopy soul searching becomes irrelevant. So, by association, the whole first half of the film.
:exactly:
His actions at the end made the whole purpose of him growing up in Kansas and having that "smallville" mentality absolutely pointless. Was it great seeing Superman wreak havoc against other Kryptonians? Absolutely. Unfortunately they dropped the ball there. The whole point of Superman, which they even said in MoS but either ignored it, or really didn't understand the point behind it, was that while he's Kryptonian, he's also "human."

:lol @ all this Supes didn't care.

If he diverted his attention to going around saving the people he would have ultimately lost the fight IMO. He knew he couldn't save everyone and in order to save more he had to stop Zod and crew.

:lol That's fine...I'll bite. :hi5:

That cannot be real the argument, because the super powers are just window dressing.

If this "...core as a good person..." is something he possessed, this actually supports my thought that it was trained into him by his families. It didn't just suddenly appear. So the need for his doleful mopy soul searching becomes irrelevant. So, by association, the whole first half of the film.

:1-1:

Wait, I don't understand what you mean...

At any rate, what I meant was that the core of who he is remains intact. Just not simply put there "because he was raised by nice folks", but rather showing that becoming such a person is a process, that there are doubts, failures, sadness in the way to becoming heroic.
I believed Clark's soul-searching and how his parents instilled in him certain values, because I was shown that it wasn't easy becoming Superman.
He was always shown as the boy, and later young man, who (thanks to his upbringing) knew how important it was to help others and keep his powers in reign, to not abuse them. But that was always in the shadows, always hiding.
And that's not what it means to be Superman.
To be Superman you have to step out into the glare of the public and be the example to everybody. And that was Clark's journey.

That is what I really liked about MOS.

:1-1:

Wait, I don't understand what you mean...

At any rate, what I meant was that the core of who he is remains intact. Just not simply put there "because he was raised by nice folks", but rather showing that becoming such a person is a process, that there are doubts, failures, sadness in the way to becoming heroic.
I believed Clark's soul-searching and how his parents instilled in him certain values, because I was shown that it wasn't easy becoming Superman.
He was always shown as the boy, and later young man, who (thanks to his upbringing) knew how important it was to help others and keep his powers in reign, to not abuse them. But that was always in the shadows, always hiding.
And that's not what it means to be Superman.
To be Superman you have to step out into the glare of the public and be the example to everybody. And that was Clark's journey.

That is what I really liked about MOS.

But that to me is not a journey. It's a simple choice of when, where and where you are going to do it. And one that he obviously kept putting off. By that logic, he could have been moping about for another decade or two had the Kryptonians not shown up and seemingly forced his hand.

If his good 'core' is already there, why the need for anguished soul searching? His sense of purpose is surely connected to it, stems out from it, even. Was he that pathetically insecure to be of the 'good man with great powers but no sense of purpose' mentality? What a fragile hero he is going to be...wondering what to do next all the time, and taking another 10-15 years before making another big decision.

Last edited:
IMO he was battling his own demons, heeding Pa Kent's warnings, trying to do good, but not exposing himself to potential rejection and danger from humans that would ultimately stop him from being able to help them, or worse even, would put him in confrontation with them.

So he is a hero from the beginning, he helps people, he obeys and listens to his parents, he does everything that he can to do good.

But he only steps up to the challenge of being a super hero once he understands his origins, his real parents' plan for him, his mission, as it were.

Disagree with everything DGTWoodward said as well.

Also, he was saving people too, in anonymity before being Superman, even in the comics he doesn't realise he wants to be Superman until he found out about where he came from, like in birthright, not until he cracked the little kryptonian "ipad" looking thing he realised he wanted to be Superman.

TLDR: haters gonna hate.

Meanwhile, I will continue to enjoy this film. I know a lot of people don't think that I should enjoy it, but I do. I know a lot of people have 50,000 reasons that make sense in their own minds. Sorry. Haters gonna hate, but fans will continue to love. Everybody happy! Except the haters.... they're gonna continue hating the fact that other people can make up their own minds-input-free.

20110426-034725.jpg

I think this is appropriate, in more ways than one.... :lol

Disagree with everything DGTWoodward said as well.

Also, he was saving people too, in anonymity before being Superman, even in the comics he doesn't realise he wants to be Superman until he found out about where he came from, like in birthright, not until he cracked the little kryptonian "ipad" looking thing he realised he wanted to be Superman.

Hello Gaspar, I had an idea you'd join in soon enough.

I personally don't call folding an 18 wheeler truck into and Origami shape doing anything on the sly. It could not have been the wind, or a bear or a tidal wave. But that's just me. As that's the silly kind of "...and finally" type local news story that would go global very quickly these days.

Oh that and getting caught on film practically holding up a collapsing oil rig. Well done on trying to stay secret there Clark.

@Ramatuelle. TLDR is a bit of a rude response don't you think? Who's saying you should not enjoy the film? I certainly never did. I can't find posts from anyone else saying it either. Not even folks who have disagreed with your opinion about it.

For what it's worth I too did enjoy the film up to a point. But to me, flash-crash-bang visuals but emotionally vapid characters and story does not a good film make.

I personally don't call folding an 18 wheeler truck into and Origami shape doing anything on the sly. It could not have been the wind, or a bear or a tidal wave. But that's just me. As that's the silly kind of "...and finally" type local news story that would go global very quickly these days.

Oh that and getting caught on film practically holding up a collapsing oil rig. Well done on trying to stay secret there Clark.

@Ramatuelle. TLDR is a bit of a rude response don't you think? Who's saying you should not enjoy the film? I certainly never did. I can't find posts from anyone else saying it either. Not even folks who have disagreed with your opinion about it.

For what it's worth I too did enjoy the film up to a point. But to me, flash-crash-bang visuals but emotionally vapid characters and story does not a good film make.

It's the same garbage barfed out by the same trolls that plague the Nolan threads. You need to 100% accept that this film was perfect, or they'll troll you into oblivion because these films are infallible and you're clearly a troll because you disagree with them. :cuckoo:

I've been here the whole time, I never leave, I'm always here, watching, judging.

hA938ACA5

:lol

Anyway back to it, he had spoofed identities, with both incidents, and I don't recall anybody filming him while holding the rig... Nothing he was shown doing before being Superman was as reckless as outrunning a train with probably dozens of people inside to watch :lol

It's the same garbage barfed out by the same trolls that plague the Nolan threads. You need to 100% accept that this film was perfect, or they'll troll you into oblivion because these films are infallible and you're clearly a troll because you disagree with them. :cuckoo:

Your statement works both ways, all of us who claimed to like MoS better than the Donner movies got jumped on by the nostalgia soldiers :lol and they've been 10 times more sarcastic and condescending, if anything, that is more like trolling than offering argument of why we like MoS and disagree with those who don't.

Back