Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The kiss scene I didn't like, they should have saved it for MoS 2, when Clark and Lois actually had a relationship.

But to say Superman didn't care in MoS is just, ugh, it's tiring to refute that argument over and over again.

Also, just by making it "fun" you can forget about the people who died, hmmm one quick "I don't see how that's a party" gag and it's all good.

*sigh
You realize that scene was never once taken all that serious, right? You get this. You get the purpose of the scene was to bring the characters together and have them grown as people.

Not show destruction. Which Man of Steel clearly intended to do.

Hey, it goes likewise on this side too. The good thing about Man of Steel though, is that none of you fans have the critics to back you up on it. Unlike Dark Knight Rises. It's all on you, and only you.

You realize that scene was never once taken all that serious, right? You get this. You get the purpose of the scene was to bring the characters together and have them grown as people.

Well then I guess Two and a Half Men has great character development...

Glad they showed destruction, which would be what ACTUALLY happened if 3 beings as powerful as Superman toyed with mankind.

The chitauri, what's that? Weren't they on Sesame street?

Last edited:
If you show me, not imply, but show me, him ACTUALLY CARING. Not him punching a laser, but him saving people, personally, one at a time...i'll get it. But they never did.

Yes, they did, they did it all the way up to the endgame with Zod. I was sick of seeing the personal saves, the ones he did world traveling, yeah fine, but by the time they got to the Smallville fight and hes still arriving in the nick of time to do personal saves. I'd actually posted an account of them all after my second viewing. :sleep

You should probably stick to Nicholas Sparks flicks, sounds more your speed. :lecture

Hey, it goes likewise on this side too. The good thing about Man of Steel though, is that none of you fans have the critics to back you up on it. Unlike Dark Knight Rises. It's all on you, and only you.

Oh the "critics"? You mean like the internet critics on Rotten tomatoes? :lol

Their opinion is what matters. Ordinary people and fans? Psshh.

Yeah critics hate Zack, tough beans, a bunch of jaded people trying to make a name for themselves and to try to write the wittiest/more sarcastic and sassy way to dislike that movie, meanwhile IM3 and STPM have above 70% :lol yay! media spoonfed!

Regardless, most of the negative reviews were as dumb as "There's not enough humor" :slap:

I just find it hilarious that certain people feel the need to defend STM (and this is coming from a fan of the Reeve films) just because some like Man of Steels interpretation.

well thats your opinion. But he was definitely a hero in my eyes. He saved the ENTIRE earth from Zod terraforming it. I think we can say thats pretty heroic. And Why did he save them? Because he wants to protect the people of earth. He chose to save earth over having his original home planet becoming a civilization again. Why? Because he believed the people of earth could achieve great things just like his people once did. It was time for the people of Earth. His home planet died, their civilization ended and he thought it was completely evil to have Zod kill all the people of earth just to rebuild Krypton. Not to mention he had been saving people since he was a little kid. And as he gets older, he will become stronger and wiser, and be able to do more amazing things. This is just chapter 1. He is just learning what his real powers can be.

But i understand, the movie didn't capture you like other fans. And thats fine, we all like different things. Im sure there is a dozens of movies you like that I do not like at all...

Well said. :goodpost:

well thats your opinion. But he was definitely a hero in my eyes. He saved the ENTIRE earth from Zod terraforming it. I think we can say thats pretty heroic. And Why did he save them? Because he wants to protect the people of earth. He chose to save earth over having his original home planet becoming a civilization again. Why? Because he believed the people of earth could achieve great things just like his people once did. It was time for the people of Earth. His home planet died, their civilization ended and he thought it was completely evil to have Zod kill all the people of earth just to rebuild Krypton. Not to mention he had been saving people since he was a little kid. And as he gets older, he will become stronger and wiser, and be able to do more amazing things. This is just chapter 1. He is just learning what his real powers can be.

But i understand, the movie didn't capture you like other fans. And thats fine, we all like different things. Im sure there is a dozens of movies you like that I do not like at all...

Well said. :goodpost:

Thats something that stirred me each time I saw this. He chose his adoptive race over his blood. I don't know if I could/would have done the same. Then again, I'm no hero... but this guy... this guy gets it. Hes the real deal. :clap
alexis_superhero_final.jpg

Oops! Wrong pic. :slap

Again, do you even have a notion of the chance that a mirror, meandering in space, hits a nuke, that's coming from the earth? Do you realize how big space is, how small of a movement can detour an object and change completely it's movement? I don't think you do if you're comparing it to everything you mention.

Add to that the fact that the vessel was designed as part of a recon mission to seek for habitable planets, does it really sound that far fetched? Honestly?

The Codex, being an object or Supes blood wouldn't have made a difference, by making it Supes blood it reinforces the fact that he's the bridge between 2 people that otherwise don't exist.

It may be convenient, but not in length of any plot device in the old movies, by a looooooooooooooooong shot.

So you're caught up in how plausible it is. That's your problem.

You posted "convenient", your words. All those things are "too convenient" and utterly artificial to help serve the story. I'd say the original's is better executed (yes, even if the chances of, quote on quote, "a mirror meandering in space hitting a nuke from earth" is slim to none).

They establish the Phantom Zone. They set up the trial of Zod and Co. for a reason in the original. They also have Jor-El warn Superman about them. They have Jor-El teach Superman wisdom from everything from the human heart to choices and love.

Superman doesn't heed those warnings and freeing the prisoners is that outcome. The scenes aren't about "oh my god, the chances of that missile coming to contact with Zod and freeing them are slim". The point of that scene is, Superman is being selfish instead of being selfless, and in the process he does more harm than good. Something MoS doesn't even touch on. Atleast there are repercussions for his actions . . .

How did the original "set up" that idea? If that was the point of the film then why in the hell does Superman have the ability to reverse time? Wouldn't that defeat the entire purpose? The answer is yes, because he CAN save people from death. He can reverse time for Christ sakes, there was only consequences because he just so happened to set Zod and his gang free. Jor-el should've said "interfering with history is forbidden, because you'll set Zod free."

It's a heroes journey.

Superman couldn't save his real parents from their demise. Superman couldn't save Pa Kent from his heart attack. He can't save Lois from dying (and she does die). With all of his mind boggling powers he can't stop those he loves from dying.

That's established.

It's also established and warned that while Superman can interfere with "human history" and pervert it so it has an outcome to his liking, it is "forbidden" to do so. He can, but he shouldn't. That's the catch and also falls under "with all those powers, I couldn't even save them". Jor-El also mentions how he doesn't advise Clark to give up his powers and become a mortal man. He can do that if he chooses, but there will be repercussions.

But look at what happens when he does in both instances. They come back to haunt him and he LEARNS from his mistakes. He learns that he needs to let loved ones go. He learns what it means to be Earth's protector and about responsibility.

Spider-Man 2 does the same thing with Peter Parker's journey.

As for the, "SUPERMAN DOESN'T CARE ABOUT THE PEOPLE" thing, it's a valid argument.

Look, the people that hate on it know that, yeah "this character saves people". From the beginning as fisherman Clark Kent saving that crew to breaking the terraform machine, we get that.

That isn't where the gripe is. The whole issue comes from after all that with Zod. Zod merely threatens to hurt people after his "YOU'VE TAKEN EVERYTHING AWAY FROM ME INCLUDING MY PEOPLE" speech. He doesn't even act on it until Superman has him in a choke hold at the end. What does Zod do before then? He attacks/chases Superman with all his might.

That's the problem. That ending has no heart. We don't see how Superman feels about all this destruction. We don't see him saving people in this massive destruction (save for the terraform device). Superman's not leading Zod out of the area, he's not taking the fight elsewhere, he's just punching the **** out of Zod through buildings, into areas that have civilians, etc.

Folks that defend it would have a solid argument if we saw Zod attacking people left and right and Superman defended them before the whole heat vision scene, but there's absolutely none of that. Superman acts just as much as a mindless brute as Zod and Co. does. That's the problem people have, it's too grim.

Atleast the Donner films shows that scenario. Superman is getting his *** handed to him by the Kryptonians. Zod even goes as far as threatening civilian's once he catches on that Superman cares for them. What does Superman do? He dukes them out and moves the fight elsewhere. That's the logical way to do that scene.

And how is Celtic wrong about the ending? We see people getting lifted up from the ground, then violently thrown down into the pavement. We see the typical 9/11 images of people trapped under debris, covered in blood and soot. Where do the filmmakers go after these events? To quipping about being "from Kansas" and "American as it gets", after crippling a satellite. Then, this huge upbeat, ending where "har, har, this is our Clark Kent", as he bikes in a curiously untouched, golden Metropolis in a sterile, war-free Daily Planet (which still doesn't make sense to me).

That's not the type of tone you set up immediately after killer terraforming, neck breaking, and crying. "He's kinda hot"? All smiles? Really? Or are you guys telling me that Zod's plot and the effects, "weren't that bad". If that's the case, the filmmakers literally had no idea what they were trying to convey. If we're not shown Superman really caring in the final act after all that destruction (or during Zod's melt down), why should the audience? And if that's the case, what was the point of having that terraforming/destruction/DNA plot in the first place? That's the gripe. Nobody would complain if the ending reflected the destruction or a few scenes of Superman having a helping hand in helping those in danger or reconstruction (not just straining to lift a big glowy machine or continually punching Zod through buildings doing more damage).

Last edited:
If you show me, not imply, but show me, him ACTUALLY CARING. Not him punching a laser, but him saving people, personally, one at a time...i'll get it. But they never did. And that's one of the many reasons why the film is a total, utter failure.

Look, the people that hate on it know that, yeah "this character saves people". From the beginning as fisherman Clark Kent saving that crew to breaking the terraform machine, we get that.

No...obviously not all of you do.

So you're caught up in how plausible it is. That's your problem.

You posted "convenient", your words. All those things are "too convenient" and utterly artificial to help serve the story. I'd say the original's is better executed (yes, even if the chances of, quote on quote, "a mirror meandering in space hitting a nuke from earth" is slim to none).

They establish the Phantom Zone. They set up the trial of Zod and Co. for a reason in the original. They also have Jor-El warn Superman about them. They have Jor-El teach Superman wisdom from everything from the human heart to choices and love.

Superman doesn't heed those warnings and freeing the prisoners is that outcome. The scenes aren't about "oh my god, the chances of that missile coming to contact with Zod and freeing them are slim". The point of that scene is, Superman is being selfish instead of being selfless, and in the process he does more harm than good. Something MoS doesn't even touch on. Atleast there are repercussions for his actions . . .

And you don't realize how big space is my friend, of course I'm stuck on how plausible something is if you're talking about convenience.

If you think MoS gimmicks are "too convenient" and artificial but you are totally fine with something billions of times more unlikely, well, that's just.... As opposed to something as simple as a kryptonian ship sending a signal to another kryptonian ship...

Also, he wasn't being selfish.

I was talking about the final fight. That's what most of the criticism for this movie all comes down too. The build up, with no pay off.

Saying "they never did" sounds like you're talking about the entire movie not the last 20 minutes. :thwak

They sure did, I got pay off when Supes screamed after killing Zod, after seeing him struggling with saving the lives of a family and not killing his own criminal kind, and seeing finally choosing us, that's pay off.

Back