Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People are still hating on this movie? Wow! For a movie they don't like they sure spend a lot of time discussing it. If I don't like a movie I just state my opinion and go back to my regularly scheduled life. Not pine away in a thread no one cares about continuously beating my own dead horse. But that's me. MOS is a great movie with lots of heart, sadness, triumphs, and defeats. Can't wait to watch it over and over again when it comes out on blu ray. It will stay in my PS3 for several weeks before I take it out.

Good luck to all those drinking your 48oz of Haterade.

People are still hating on this movie? Wow! For a movie they don't like they sure spend a lot of time discussing it. If I don't like a movie I just state my opinion and go back to my regularly scheduled life. Not pine away in a thread no one cares about continuously beating my own dead horse. But that's me. MOS is a great movie with lots of heart, sadness, triumphs, and defeats. Can't wait to watch it over and over again when it comes out on blu ray. It will stay in my PS3 for several weeks before I take it out.

Good luck to all those drinking your 48oz of Haterade.

I don't hate it really, it was so close to being a great SM film. I have said in previous posts that it would not take much to use this as the template for the sequel but put in one or two little (and I mean little) tweaks and you could have a superb series of SM movies for this new century.

The thing that irritates me the most was the sloppy way in which it was done...I get annoyed because the potential was all there and yet somehow, it still missed the essential heart of who the SM character is.

But all of this can be adjusted in the MoS-II. Firstly, by showing him X-Ray visioning the rubble and then digging for survivors, helping to clear up the mess at Super Speed and helping to erect new buildings in place of the destroyed ones. All of this could be done during the opening credit roll so it would not even take up story screen-time, and is ultra simple to do.

I was irritated by missed potential more than anything. But I too still have the Blu on order as it is a Superman movie, in fact the deluxe Spec Ed edition from Amazon France...

[ame]https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00DSKW8U4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

...and the three MoS figures.

Last edited:
I can get down with that DG. I was cringing at those moments where they smashed through the IHOP and worried for the people inside who would have otherwise been flattened like pancakes. Pun intended.

I agree there should have been more moments like that where Clark looks around at all the devastation is saddened by what he has done and what he had to do to save the planet. And yes he did save the entire planet but a quiet moment of reflection toward the end would have gone a long way to show us his remorse and careful planning in the future for a less destructive means to an end.

I can get down with that DG. I was cringing at those moments where they smashed through the IHOP and worried for the people inside who would have otherwise been flattened like pancakes. Pun intended.

I agree there should have been more moments like that where Clark looks around at all the devastation is saddened by what he has done and what he had to do to save the planet. And yes he did save the entire planet but a quiet moment of reflection toward the end would have gone a long way to show us his remorse and careful planning in the future for a less destructive means to an end.

That, nixing the Pa Kent scene and the kissing scene (or relocating it at the very least) and showing him helping to rebuild, would've made this the perfect Superman movie. Instead he's Hope Man, as in, hope you don't cause so much destruction and wanton death next time you're saving the planet, man.

That, nixing the Pa Kent scene and the kissing scene (or relocating it at the very least) and showing him helping to rebuild, would've made this the perfect Superman movie. Instead he's Hope Man, as in, hope you don't cause so much destruction and wanton death next time you're saving the planet, man.

LMAO!!! Which Pa Kent scene are you referring to? I like all his scenes. Especially when he sacrifices himself to keep Clark's secret. The definition of being a parent. Very powerful.

There was a lot of destruction though. I was expecting a lot but not that much. Not that I'm complaining about that part of it. I'm just stating that it was a LOT.

Last edited:
LMAO!!! Which Pa Kent scene are you referring to? I like all his scenes. Especially when he sacrifices himself to keep Clark's secret. The definition of being a parent. Very powerful.

There was a lot of destruction though. I was expecting a lot but not that much. Not that I'm complaining about that part of it. I'm just stating that it was a LOT.

jedijim's definition of being a parent: risking your life needlessly to save a family pet vs. guaranteeing the well being, protection and safety of your own family.

The Pa Kent tornado scene was stupid, but I don't get the tree-hugging stance about the destruction in Metropolis.

When the Kryptonians started messing up the place, wasn't Superman on the other side of the planet fighting the World Engine or something? The destruction in Metropolis had a gradual build up. I would think most people would have evacuated before the big throw-down took place.

In fairness, if I had a son who was as flat and unlikable as Cavill's Kent, I would probably prefer the dog, as well.

Seriously though, this was one of several instances in the movie where things tweaked just a tad could have made a HUGE difference in tone and connecting with the audience. Going back for the damn dog is insane and unjustifiable, unless Pa had a serious death wish or other psychological ailment. His expression right at the end almost suggests that he did welcome death, but as I posted before, I really doubt this was Goyer/Snyder's intent.

There's a crowd of strangers under a bridge and a massive f---ing tornado bearing down on them.

If he had run, even at super-speed, and rescued Pa - nobody would've cared.

Somebody is either thinking "OMFG I HOPE I DON'T DIE!!!" or "Gosh, he's fast. He should try out for track."

Clark could have danced in a pink tutu and nobody would've noticed.

The Pa Kent tornado scene was stupid, but I don't get the tree-hugging stance about the destruction in Metropolis.

When the Kryptonians started messing up the place, wasn't Superman on the other side of the planet fighting the World Engine or something? The destruction in Metropolis had a gradual build up. I would think most people would have evacuated before the big throw-down took place.

Recently re watched it yea I agree the Pa kent death was dumb.

Apologistic. There's just no practical scenario where that decision makes sense. None.

Untrue. The man clearly knew what he was doing, it was a calculated risk. They were just halfway to the comparative shelter of the overpass, Ma Kent remembers the mutt she's clearly very attached to (as any dog owner would understand) and he makes the right choice: sending Clark with the people where he can do a great difference if things get really bad with the tornado while he goes off to rescue the dog with time to spare. Unfortunately, as is the case more often than not, things go awry and he loses his life over that dog.

Untrue. The man clearly knew what he was doing, it was a calculated risk. They were just halfway to the comparative shelter of the overpass, Ma Kent remembers the mutt she's clearly very attached to (as any dog owner would understand) and he makes the right choice: sending Clark with the people where he can do a great difference if things get really bad with the tornado while he goes off to rescue the dog with time to spare. Unfortunately, as is the case more often than not, things go awry and he loses his life over that dog.

So then you're saying Pa Kent was retarded. A calculated risk would be running after the dog before touchdown, when the cone is visible a mile out. Running after the mutt when the tornado's not only tearing up dirt, but headed that way is just plain dumber than ****. :huh

Once again, there's no practical scenario where his decision makes sense. None. If you justify it, then you're either saying the man cared more about the mutt than his wife and son, or you're arguing that he likely had an IQ well below 70 and was incapable of determining what was more important, his human family or the dog.

Untrue. The man clearly knew what he was doing, it was a calculated risk.

Calculated on what...his fingers? :yess:

Whilst I only said that because I wanted to quote Paul Darrow's character Kerr Avon from BBC1's "Blake's 7" :rotfl ...

...I do have to say, I think that 'Nam is right, it doesn't seem to make much sense in any scenario.

So then you're saying Pa Kent was retarded. A calculated risk would be running after the dog before touchdown, when the cone is visible a mile out. Running after the mutt when the tornado's not only tearing up dirt, but headed that way is just plain dumber than ****. :huh

Once again, there's no practical scenario where his decision makes sense. None. If you justify it, then you're either saying the man cared more about the mutt than his wife and son, or you're arguing that he likely had an IQ well below 70 and was incapable of determining what was more important, his human family or the dog.

I didn't like the scene for a different reason, but he clearly cared about his family, at that point his family was safe, if the dog was lost he wouldn't have gone to get him, but he went in only to open the door and set him free, then he got his ankle crushed, that's something he didn't anticipate, so, neither retard or didn't care for his family, only unfortunate.

Still think they should've let him live.

I'm going with option C) he was a suicidal maniac.

Back