MMS138 – The Expendables: 1/6th scale Barney Ross Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still waiting on Statham! Hope we see a proto of him soon

Im drawing a line in the sand here with Hot Toys.Because as much as I love this figure Im not displaying him alone.Has to have a Statham,Lee or Gunnar or it s a no-sale.

Not sure if the height difference is correct :)

arnstallone.jpg

:lol
Arnold must have been standing on quite a box for that scene in the Expendables.

The height difference looks about what I've always imagined it would be or is between the real Sly and Arnie.

Here's one of the better pictures of them together in their prime.

SSAS.jpg

It won't happen, but after Rambo 4 (which I'm jonesin' for) I'd like to see them take another stab at First Blood 2 with the new body and improved sculpts/paint.

Agreed, I want Rambo 4 out of the way first, but I would not object to them revisiting the other films after. Rambo 3 and M65 could hold up pretty good with a Rambo made today, but the other First Blood and especially the Rambo 2 don't even hold up to the other Rambos. Would be nice to get a new, better fitting M65 jacket somehow though.

Rambo II with the red bandana is the most iconic look IMO.

Yup, and it's my favorite, and I'm glad that Sideshow went with Rambo 2 for the LSB and PF. Part of it for me comes from growing up on the Rambo cartoon even before I saw any of the movies, and my brother and I had the figures from the cartoon.

hqdefault.jpg

Still have this figure.

RamboComp1a.jpg

someone should put the Iron Man Rourke by Stallone for Get Carter showdown, even though he doesn't look like him from the film.

Or better yet, change his clothes up a bit and make him Tool to reenact Expendables scenes. I wish I liked Whiplash enough to have gotten the figure so I could do just that.

Interesting fact from the DVD commentary, Rourke looks so much like Whiplash in Expendables because he shot his Expendables scene while also filming Iron Man 2, Stallone was able to sneak him away from IM2 for a couple days.

Comparison pic with Rocky Balboa:

PICT1117-1.jpg

This is a big step forward in quality :clap

Many steps forward in that shot. One thing particularly standing out to me is the size difference. I've always felt that Hot Toys' Rambos and Rocky figures looked too elongated for Stallone, taller than he should be at 1/6. Ross is smaller than Rocky which is good, and the proportions of the arms and body all look better too.

This actually really makes me want to see more Rambo and Rocky figures, as if I didn't before, but now you really get a sense of how awesome and better they'd be.

In some ways, it'd be good for a Rambo 4, as Stallone was older, that figure should be a little shorter than Rambo in his prime.

1080 Photo Review :lol

Part 1

205a276c.jpg

b7ef8310.jpg

Kojun best sculpt yet

80497699.jpg

63aad3b4.jpg

d9cace9e.jpg

d4c24d91.jpg

e13f99e5.jpg

2c9474cb.jpg

More to come

06bbd8ad.jpg

205a276c.jpg

Awesome photo OMG.

I didn't really pick up that he comes with his sunglasses, I was thinking I'd have to source some on eBay for that scene, guess I won't have to haha.

No disrespect to Sideshow and Medicom, but I don't know why anyone outside of Hot Toys even bothers with 1/6 scale. Their sculpts are unreal. :thud:

That said, I do plan on getting Sideshow's SW aliens and droids, though. :lecture

Outside of the skin texture, Sideshow's had some human sculpts every bit as good as what Hot Toys rolls out, what really sets HT out is the texturing and the paint apps, the paint is huge, you get an accurrate sculpt that looks like the person it should be, and the paint brings it to life.

Outside of the skin texture, Sideshow's had some human sculpts every bit as good as what Hot Toys rolls out, what really sets HT out is the texturing and the paint apps, the paint is huge, you get an accurrate sculpt that looks like the person it should be, and the paint brings it to life.

Agreed. Sideshow has some damn good sculpts, but the paint sometimes... :slap

But they aren't accurate. He wears a different type in the film.

They seem pretty close to me. Bottom line, I don't have to buy glasses for the figure, he comes with them :) I wanted to do some photos with glasses on but wasn't keen on buying some just for that, as I won't use them for long term display.

ExpendablesReview_2.jpg

Paint really is their big downfall, I'd love to see some of their portraits painted by Hot Toys.

Paint really is their big downfall, I'd love to see some of their portraits painted by Hot Toys.

If Sideshow ever did allow Hot Toys to share the SW license, I would love to see a collaboration like that on some figures. Sideshow does the sculpting and Hot Toys does the paint. Or others where Hot Toys does everything. It would make for an interesting collection.

It seems like almost all the time. As Sean said they DO have amazing sculptors but their paint needs big improvement. I LOVE my T2 PF and Trevor did an amazing job on the sculpt. The piece is wonderful but the paint imo is at about 65% efficiency.

It seems like almost all the time. As Sean said they DO have amazing sculptors but their paint needs big improvement. I LOVE my T2 PF and Trevor did an amazing job on the sculpt. The piece is wonderful but the paint imo is at about 65% efficiency.

I used to have that PF, but sold it last year. I have the HT figure coming next week, so that's going to represent my T2 Arnold.

If Sideshow ever did allow Hot Toys to share the SW license, I would love to see a collaboration like that on some figures. Sideshow does the sculpting and Hot Toys does the paint. Or others where Hot Toys does everything. It would make for an interesting collection.

It would be nice to see the talented sculptor's at Sideshow have their work done justice. Tim Miller makes out best as most of his portraits are aliens and those are done well, even is Emperor, but Trev, Andy and the other guys that do the majority of humans do some really nice work and when you see their raw sculpts they look really good, then the paint drops it. It's amazing how just a slight difference of how you paint a figures eyes can mean a big difference in the portrait looking or not looking right. T2 T-800 looks so good because they eyes really nail Arnie's stare, as does Barney Ross, Stallone's eyes are really well captured.

T2 T-800 looks so good because they eyes really nail Arnie's stare, as does Barney Ross, Stallone's eyes are really well captured.

The eyes are the first thing I notice about 1/6 figures and Hot Toys are miles apart from Sideshows in that respect. The doll dot certainly doesn't help them at all.

Yeah, if that PF portrait had been painted as good as the Hot Toys T-800, that statue would really catch eyes. Thing is, Trev even got skin texture in that, so it would be every bit as real looking. I think one feature of the better HT paints is that the skin is subtly made up of shades instead of being one tone.

Back