MONDO REVENGE OF THE CREATURE/CREATURE AND....OTHERS PERHAPS.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found it interesting they will be doing the other classic monsters with modern updates. Curious if it's a rights thing, or a Universal mandate since they will be using updated looks for the classic monsters for their new theme park.

1717556694802.jpeg

In case you hadn’t seen them yet. That’s Victoria Frankenstein on the right.

Attachments

• 1717556678492.jpeg
    1717556678492.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 0
If the ‘modern’ monsters look anything like the concept art I’ve seen for Epic Universe, then no thanks 🤮

I agree to a point. I don't mind "modernizing" looks. However, they should brand the mondern looks as Universal Monsters or something, because they aren't the Universal Classic Monsters anymore.

That said I'll stick to Kaustic Plastik, and hope they can work out likeness rights with the Chaney and Karloff families, if Mondo isn't going to give us the Classic Monsters look.

I believe the reasoning for the redesigns are copy rights expiring on the originals. Disney lost Steamboat Willie Micky Mouse this year. Each new iteration has its own new copyright timer, which is why they’ve gone with a newer style lately. Same is probably the reasoning with Universal. Their control over the original looks is nearly up. Some like Wolfman and Creature probably have another decade or two but Frankenstein and Dracula are nearly 100 years old now. Crazy!

Metali name is attached to the sculptor credit on the Creature. If they use his sculpts for officially licensed figures, they will be nice. Probably too expensive and unaffordable, but nice.

Back