MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your commitment to detail and making improvements is impressive, you Inspire others. Thank you my friend

Thank you. :)

This figure's been a hell of a rollercoaster ride! Wednesday's unboxing was a real low point, acting as the motivation to rescue MacReady and make something worthwhile of him, something I was happy to display.

I was happy with him, until magpie9 and xvsopx unlocked the potential for Mondo's jacket and pushed me to start over again.

I was happy again, until the nagging feeling finally got me to change the body to cure his limited stance and adjust his height. The tipping point was realising that the flight suit legs should be fuller and over the boots.

Didn't think the body swap would take that long, but then I didn't realise just how non-standard the Mondo body is, and how long it would take to cut the elastic in the hems of the flight suit. The elastic in one leg presented itself to be cut, which gave me the idea, but the elastic in the other leg didn't want to reveal itself. I had to unpick the stitching, which was laborious.

He's still not done yet. I don't think I'll weather the suit legs as I didn't notice them dirty in the movie - it wasn't exactly a dirty location. The thing that stands out to me are the bright green flamethrower straps.

They need to be more khaki:

vlcsnap-2024-08-19-12h29m24s751.png
vlcsnap-2024-08-19-12h30m25s930.png

And is the lower belt part of the flamethrower harness that Mondo missed off?

vlcsnap-2024-08-19-12h29m31s140.png

After the false starts nothing I did went to waste. The DID jacket, which was already spare, found a new home. I used the modified Mondo body on the figure I took the narrow should from.

I painted the flamethrower straps khaki - the actual paint was Coat d'Arms' 'Russian Brown', which is actually green rather than brown.

The buckles on the front look dark, so I painted them Panzer Grey, which is practically black (Coat d'Arms can be confusing. lol).

I left the other hooks green. They're hard to spot in the film and searching for decent images of the M2A7-1, which isn't easy, those hooks were painted green.

MacReady flamethrower.png

IMG_3590 Mondo MacReady on narrow shoulder.JPG

IMG_3591 Mondo MacReady on narrow shoulder.JPG
IMG_3592 Mondo MacReady on narrow shoulder.JPG
IMG_3593 Mondo MacReady on narrow shoulder.JPG
IMG_3594 Mondo MacReady on narrow shoulder.JPG
IMG_3595 Mondo MacReady on narrow shoulder.JPG

DHL are holding mine till mid September (possibly can extend hold) as I am away from home. Might be a good thing though since by the time I get mine in hand you all will have settled on the perfect choice of body to swap to and all mods required. I will be able to just plagiarise your work for the perfect MacReady. Mwahahahaha

I've lost track now - has ANYBODY in the States or Canada got theirs yet?

Waiting on mine, still says in China, but clearance in Ohio.

I use DHL all the time for Japanese imports and its always been my favorite shipper, this would be the first time its taken this long...

Waiting on mine, still says in China, but clearance in Ohio.

I use DHL all the time for Japanese imports and its always been my favorite shipper, this would be the first time its taken this long...
Pretty sure DHL os actually not one company but multiple. IIRC they bought up courier companies and just rebranded them, so your jap imports were prob handled by a different DHL....

Got around to unboxing mine. As others said, typical Mondo to look different from the prototype. However despite faults, I do think it’s a solid release. I think with modding it can be great. Body articulation and jacket are the biggest let downs. Picture in my detolf here, happy with the pose as he look awkward with both hands on flamethrower
View attachment IMG_0081.jpeg

Back