NFL Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The NFLPA has got to step up and do something about these fines, which are just getting ridiculous. Pryor getting fined for a legal hit, that wasn't penalized? Awful.

Manning in the playoffs: 435/692 (63%) for 5164yds, 29TD's, 18INT (1.6 TD/INT ratio), 7.5ypa, 88 passer rating for his career in the playoffs.
But I would argue that the stats argument can only take you so far. Look at Marino.

I really do think there are "intangible" issues in the playoffs that keep Manning from getting to one of the top 2 or 3 QBs in the history of the game. And that is desire and ability to win in the toughest situations, against quality opponents who also want it bad. Does he play well in the playoffs? Sure. Does he play well enough to "lift his team" over his competition? Not usually win it counts the most. He's a McNabb in that sense, who, had he just been able to win a few more games when he got late in the playoffs, would have been on that list. Possibly in the top 50. I think the same would go for Jim Kelly. But they didn't, so they aren't, and they don't deserve to be frankly.

It sounds like I'm calling this guy a bum, but I'm not. I just think that in professional sports true greatness comes from winning, and ultimately winning in the most critical situations like playoffs and championship games. Manning is a great player, but if he isn't able to win one or two more, I personally won't consider him worthy of being higher than a Tom Brady on lists such as these. Stats be damned! :D

Like I said, I think when all is said and done, he'll go down as the greatest. I would agree that if he doesn't get at least another championship before retirement, it will severely hinder that argument.

But people are coming around on the "ring or nothing" idea. Even five or so years ago, Marino was looked at as simply a flashy stat machine. Now he's looked at as a player who deserved a ring due to his play, but sometimes circumstances just don't line up for a team.

We can bump this thread in ten years and post some updates to the situation.

But back to that list... how good do you have to be where you can be ranked as #1 EVER, and hear almost no one disagreeing? I'm definitely lucky to have the Montana / Young to Rice connection growing up. Guy was a beast.

Yeah, a lot of the Manning-hating probably is sour grapes for one reason or another. I'm probably not immune. Bastard should have come back to play for his daddy's old team. And in general, he's just not a very likable guy IMO. He seems so polished and superficial, and has had a history of displacing blame that no one likes to see. Plus, the huge head people are jealous of.

Of course, none of that affects his ability to play, and I do try to put that aside when I'm thinking about these things.

I'm definitely lucky to have the Montana / Young to Rice connection growing up. Guy was a beast.
Yeah, well, I grew up with my team being crappy and in their division :monkey2

Of course, none of that affects his ability to play, and I do try to put that aside when I'm thinking about these things.

One possible tiebreaker is best SNL skit.

Manning has his United Way skit:
https://www.hulu.com/watch/1603/saturday-night-live-snl-digital-short-united-way

Brady has his carnival skit:
https://www.hulu.com/watch/124967/saturday-night-live-carnival---tom-brady

Joe Montana has his Sincere Guy skit:
https://snltranscripts.jt.org/86/86istu.phtml

Very tough call.

Manning does win that one. Brady's best skit though was the sexual harassment video.

It was a VERY close call with that for the two best Brady skits. But Brady's increased anger, as well as his eventual prize in the carnival skit kills me every time.

I wish I had the video for the Montana skit, because for anyone who hasn't seen it, it is hilarious.

The NFLPA has got to step up and do something about these fines, which are just getting ridiculous. Pryor getting fined for a legal hit, that wasn't penalized? Awful.

And get that damn target off of James Harrison's back. That supposed late hit on Brees was ridiculous. Goodell is going just a bit overboard with his handing out those fines.

And we have no problem with that. Brady-fy Brees, NFL! Throw them flags like flag throwin' is going out of style :yess:

If they want to flag him then flag him, I don't care, but they need to quit with the "illegal hits" BS. Of the 3 he's been fined for I only agree with the first one, because he did pretty much pile-drive Vince Young, but the second one just looked bad (it was the fact that he ended up hurting Massaquoi so bad), and that 3rd one on Brees was flat out ridiculous. Once again, I am a Drew Brees fan, loved him in San Diego and love him in New Orleans, but a LOT more "illegal hits" happened to Ben in that game that coulda been flagged and should be fined if they wanna play that game, but weren't. I personally don't think they would have changed the outcome of the game, but fair is fair. I agree that Brees is becoming the NFL posterboy and Ben is anything but, but Gooddell needs to be more consistent with his approach to making this sport flag-football.

he did pretty much pile-drive Vince Young
Lucky Vince Young wasn't pile driven by this man, or he wouldn't be playing again, ever.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/EfosfT8Ojbg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/EfosfT8Ojbg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Damn man, a lot of teams are eating ____-sandwiches again this week. The Pats forgot to bring their D and special teams with them. Loved it when that back-up LB Costanza faked an injury to stop NE's no-huddle. Hilarious

Lucky Vince Young wasn't pile driven by this man, or he wouldn't be playing again, ever.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/EfosfT8Ojbg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/EfosfT8Ojbg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ole roid-rage himself.

Well, the Pats are 0-2 in SuperBowls this season. A Gatorade bath? Seriously?

Pack up and get ready for the Steelers now.

The Cleveland Browns have just beat the best team in the NFL, the pretty boy Patriots have fallen to the Orange and Brown.

No more of this is "another shocker" talk we have proven we can not only compete against but beat the best teams in league. This is even sweeter after toppling the reigning Super Bowl Saints. After being 1 and 5, we are no clawing ourselves back to a 3-5 record.

And look at those first two loses against the Bucs and Chiefs, we lost one by 3 and the other by two measly points. We should have won both, we could easily be .500 right now.

I think peoples need to start giving credit where credit is due. Enough of this 'they got lucky again'. Whoever said I was going to shut up next week when the Browns got whopped by the Pats, and I said hey can beat the Saints then we can beat the Pats. I said so.

Back