Official NECA Terminator Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: NECA T-1000

Well, I'll be getting HT's so I'm hoping to get out of NECA what there'll be no chance of with HT, which is the full chrome look, you pretty much have to do a solid figure like NECA makes to really do that apperance justice, I don't see HT doing it with their market so my hope's in NECA coming through, so that a combination of NECA and HT figures can do at 12" scale what NECA is with 7" having the variety of looks captured.

Yeah, a 12" chrome version would be great. But even a regular T-1000 could be painted in crome afterward. Like Sean said, you really need a full plastic figure to get that look. But I suppose if anyone could make chrome clothing, it would be Hot Toys.

Other than that, I fully expect HT to make the 12" Terminator figures I want, so I'm just sticking to the 7" NECA figures.

NECA has some great likenesses, the problem I find with most of their human sculpts is there's this unfinished quality about them, like this texture, like they're chiselled from stone, they don't have a smooth, refined look like you see in the 1/6 world.

That probably has to do with the fact most of their sculpts are meant to get shrunk down to half the size they were sculpted at. The 7" figures don't look that bad (texture wise) but their 12" figures do tend to for sure. They certainly aren't hot toys, but for cheap, mass produced figures, they are quite good.

Something I just noticed, the Liquid Metal T-1000 figure at Toy Fair is posed with a chromed pistol in the holster. That would be a neat addition to the figure, but not the way he was in the movie as the gun is not part of him.

They are great for the 7" figures, it's rare they don't look like who they're supposed to be, I love both Hannibal Lecters, great Hopkins faces.

I do think NECA is "underrated" because they don't try to be as good as the guys who focus on the 1/6 market. If their sculpts were more polished and finished looking, they could easily compete with Sideshow and Hot Toys. When people talk about sculpts around here though in 1/6, NECA's rarely going to be mentioned because of the unrefined look. I love NECA for what it is but I'd never argue one of their sculpts, for a human, overall competing with the 1/6 specialty companies. NECA's creatures are fantastic though, even at large scale.

It is only the rough texture, visible seams and paintjob that holds NECAs figures back from competing with HT. The sculpts are right there. Better dimensions overall on Tankmans Arnie headsculpt than SS and even HT. The T-1000 looks incredible but likewise suffers from that roughness - apart from that its the closest I've seen to Robert Patrick in the film - especially in that youtube video.

Likeness wise i think the T-1000 is not as great as the T-800. It is good, don't get me wrong but it is half as good as Arnold. The Arnold likeness on the T-800(BD version) is better than the Sideshow 12' Arnold (It beats the crap out of it.), but the Sideshow T-1000's look is much better than this IMo. Or maybe just the paintjob needs some work. Other than that it is a beautifull looking figure for the 7'inch scale, but this at 12' will not be as good as the 12 BD Arnold...but of course these are just prototypes yet.

Its that roughness of texture IMO that might be throwing it off for you. I think the sculpt is excellent as is, the shape of the head with the distinctive sticky-out ears and the haircut together with the shape of the face which seems to create shadow in all the right places. Check out that youtube video on the previous page, the way the camera pans around - thats Robert Patrick in head and body. I must admit even I was slightly put off by the rough surface and the eyes but then I remembered that the Arnie figures (including the 2ups originally shown last year) had issues of roughness and the production figures have less than stellar paint apps on the faces - as with the T-1000 though the sculpt is damn near perfect on that figure. So I expect the same again.

I've long said that NECAs T-800 is superior to the SS's earlier effort and I would also say that the NECA T-1000 looks better.

Its that roughness of texture IMO that might be throwing it off for you.

Probably you are right here. i hope the final product has a better paint job, texture on the face. The more I am looking at the sculpt I must say i am impressed with it and only the paint need some work.

Today I received the Conan: Temple of the Serpent 7" scale figure. Its the only Conan figure I have, hoping to get the previous ones aswell.

From what I can gather the legs look to be recycled from the Warpaint figure but everything above that is new to this figure. Its really excellent, NECA have really got me back into the smaller figure domain.

The likeness to Arnie is IMO better than the T2 figures. Or at least the paintjob is much better, notably the eyes - the main weakness of the T-800 figures. The eyes are very Arnie, looking off to the side like the Sideshow T-800 PF. I wish I could get another of these figures and somehow transplant this head onto a T-800 body. You'd also have to surgically scalp a T-800 figure to provide the T2 haircut to it. That kind of custom would be completely beyond me. Also the Conan figure is a 'base of skull' joint as opposed to the base of neck joint that the T-800 is to make things more complicated. But if I could do it I'd use the Conan headsculpt as my 'Uncle Bob' T-800 - it reminds me of the look he gives John during the 'high-five' scene in the desert. Anyway, great headsculpt and paintjob. Why don't the T-800s have this quality of paint apps? Heres hoping for an improvement when that Steel Mill T-800 comes out.

One last thing - Conan is much taller than the T-800 figure. Well, that is to say, he would be much taller if he were sculpted standing up straight. It seems the torso and legs are longer which makes the difference. And yet the head and arms are the same size/length as on the T-800s. Kinda sounds like it should look wierd considering this but it doesn't. It still looks normally proportioned. Point is its not just Hot Toys who aren't really bothered with accurate scale between figures from different licences.

That brings up something, not a big deal, but I hope the T-1000 and T-800 end up relatively in scale to each other.

Yeah. T-1000 should be a tad shorter if I'm right, not by much. The McFarlane figures portrayed a slight difference in height so I assume it should be likewise with the NECA versions.

I'm slightly concerned about how the T-1000 will look shrunken down especially since he has to be smaller than the T-800 who himself was shorter than McFarlane's one.

I'm actually more concerned about build than height, hopefully the skinnyness translates, Patrick was a scrawny looking dude in T2.

I thought I'd written that in my post, must have deleted it. Yeah the build was a key difference between them. Very different body types. However I'm sure Kyle was conscious of this when sculpting them...unless things beyond his control conspire to throw their scale with eachother off. I'm not knowledgeable on how these figures are made so I could be talking out of my backside.

Well I think just going from 12" to 7" can change perception, if not the actual item. To me, the 12" Pescadero looks more elongated and thinner than the 7" version.

Back