Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've watched it 3 times now. Once a crap cam version and twice a DVD rip. I can see myself watching it again, I don't find it as offensive as my brothers seem to find it - there is definitely stuff to enjoy in it - not least the Engineers and the sense of wonder and fear they still elicit despite having been ''revealed'' so to speak. The score is good, the visuals are indeed good, its got many redeeming qualities and it is leagues more preferable to Alien Resurrection and the AvPs.

I guess I had been hoping for a one and done affair that explained the particular ship and Space Jockey on LV-426 but since we got what we got I'm curious where they go from here.

I should've warned you, it wasn't going to be that.

:(

You should've, honestly. I knew a decent amount, without spoiling everything before hand. I knew it would not be set on LV-426, the ship won't be the one at the end of Alien, there won't be an Alien in the movie, and the Jockey wears a suit.

Movie still had surprises, but with that knowledge, it helped me know what I was getting into.

No it's not.

AvP changes the canon entirely. It makes Alien 3's ending moot, it makes Alien and Aliens moot because the Aliens have been on earth, twice, and Predators saved the day.

So Ripley's journey is pointless and she could've just went home.

You don't seem to understand. It does ruin the other movies because it changes the other movies.

but Prometheus is no better.
Alien was simple. they wanted to capture the creature. it was a simple movie, simple intentions.

Prometheus directly connected us with the Aliens and made the Engineers our creators and perhaps their creators as well. so the Aliens and humans have the same "God" ? I am not saying the movie was a bad movie. but I hated how it made everything so grandiose. it's like, at first they were these aliens they wanted to capture. Now it is a movie about the creation of Life, about God, about creationism, the destruction of mankind. It just feels like too much.

And, I am sure some people love that. but Imagine if someone made a movie where the Predators created human life on Earth just to hunt or something. It would take a simple premise as the predators hunting humans for Trophy into this super complex story.

so if you want to bash AVP (which you should since it sucks) Prometheus in that aspect is no better. In the sense that this movie kinda overshadows everything else. Ripley and the aliens are like brother and sister. wtf? seriously, think about it.

again. this is not criticizing the movie itself but how it connects with the other aliens and how it makes everything a mess

Imagine if someone made a movie where the Predators created human life on Earth just to hunt or something. It would take a simple premise as the predators hunting humans for Trophy into this super complex story.

AVP actually kinda did that. They didn't create life.. but they definitely advanced human life according to that piece of **** movie.

^ It changed, but it was changed by the dude who made it in the first place.

So that gives it weight. Plus, it doesn't change all that much. The aliens aren't the same beings as the Jockies. The Aliens come from the weapon some how.

It gives the universe a larger story to play in. Ripley's struggle is still the same, and it doesn't ruin her quest to stop them. Because they ARE deadly creatures.

AVP actually kinda did that. They didn't create life.. but they definitely advanced human life according to that piece of **** movie.

Yes they did. I like that concept, it's fun. But with Predators? I don't know. I could buy it more in a stand alone Predator movie, then an AvP one.

Yes they did. I like that concept, it's fun. But with Predators? I don't know. I could buy it more in a stand alone Predator movie, then an AvP one.

I took Predators as a stand alone... Frankly, I really liked it too.

Sent from my little pocket-machine using Tapatalk

^ It changed, but it was changed by the dude who made it in the first place.

So that gives it weight. Plus, it doesn't change all that much. The aliens aren't the same beings as the Jockies. The Aliens come from the weapon some how.

It gives the universe a larger story to play in. Ripley's struggle is still the same, and it doesn't ruin her quest to stop them. Because they ARE deadly creatures.

it didn't need to be that big, Prometheus as a stand alone movie can be great.
but when connected with Alien it is a mess. kind of. it makes the problems of alien and Aliens seem so small in comparison to finding "God" and finding that we were created from aliens.
the concepts are just too big, to have a corporation interested in the aliens as weapons alone.

What happened to the engineers after Prometheus and Alien? why did they let humanity keep going? why did they let the humans try to capture the aliens?

when you add a God type character like the engineers it kinda messes everything else up, Unless the entire engineer population is destroyed in the Prometheus sequel. They kinda need to do that now. there is no way the Engineers can be alive and well in Alien and Aliens.

which actually makes me wonder about this:

If the engineers were coming to Earth with the black goo, Why did they do nothing for over 2000 years? sure the engineers in the ship were attacked and died. but what about the Other engineers in their home planet? No one bothered to check?

why was there an Engineer in the chamber for 2000 years and no other engineers went to check up on them?
that always bothered me about Prometheus. that the engineers die for some reason, they are attacked or something and nothing happens for 2000 years. what about the rest of the Engineers? they just didn't care? they had a plan for Earth, why didn't other engineers follow it ?

You don't know that. The entire Alien saga takes place over 250 years, and only consists of 4 enclosed locations. You don't know whats going on out there.

You don't know that. The entire Alien saga takes place over 250 years, and only consists of 4 enclosed locations. You don't know whats going on out there.

but it makes me question what's up with the engineers? why are they so careless?

if there was an outbreak or something happened in Prometheus that killed those Engineers, why didn't anyone else come to check on the problem?

tumblr_m2bp4l2kDQ1rrcf3po1_500.gif

Sorry man, but I couldn't over look the mind numbingly stupid choices of the initial "scientific expedition". I havent read through the thread so I'm sure it's been covered. Who picked these hoodie wearing, pot smoking hippies for such an important mission? No weapons?! Play tickle with an unknown xenomorrph?! Sensors mapping the structure only displayed on the ship!? Some of the idiots died a fools death and deservedly so. Poor writing or edit job. Expected more from Ridley.

Sorry man, but I couldn't over look the mind numbingly stupid choices of the initial "scientific expedition". I havent read through the thread so I'm sure it's been covered. Who picked these hoodie wearing, pot smoking hippies for such an important mission? No weapons?! Play tickle with an unknown xenomorrph?! Sensors mapping the structure only displayed on the ship!? Some of the idiots died a fools death and deservedly so. Poor writing or edit job. Expected more from Ridley.

^these are probably my main problems with it. The characters and some of their actions/lack of actions etc Some of them, like Fifield, looked and acted more like one of the cartoons from Alien Crapurrection.

^ Weyland is an old man! He's senile and he just picked the coolest sounding names. :lol

Weyland deserved what he got, greedy bastard.
No refreshments for the waking Engineer after such a long hyper sleep. No hot towel, no intros just "give me more life" after barging into his ship uninvited.
The height of bad manners.
Idiot.

Play tickle with an unknown xenomorrph?!

Milburn, a biologist, was showing off infront of a 'stoned' Fifield. I'd imagine a sort of Steve Irwin type of behaviour (and look what happened to him).

Sensors mapping the structure only displayed on the ship!? Some of the idiots died a fools death and deservedly so.

Again, one was stoned, both were probably disorientated & panicing and all the interior corridors looked the same.

Plus, if everyone acted sensible and didn't take risks in films there would be no deaths or story progression.:wink1:

Back