Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean, people love the Walking Dead, even though that show has some of the dumbest characters i've seen on TV. People can be dumb. Even scientists. :D
What a great example. Prometheus' characters don't hold a candle to those morons. And I love that show. :lol

...and Holloway wasn't an ass. Only to David.

Actually you know what....even though I wrote that wall of text, I'm not going to deny the film has bad writing.

I think a lot of it is defiantly convenient, but they did write evidence for certain things.

And before anyone jumps on my ****, I think the characters are dumb in TWD, but I think the writing, most of the time, at least during the first season, and last half of the second, were spot on. And better the Prometheus' writing, overall.

Yeah, Prometheus is the previously untold story of Ripley's wild oat sowing days when she galavanted around the galaxy in an alien spacecraft with a synthetic head before settling down as a space trucker.

Pssst...fyi...that android was really a young Bishop with blonde hair.
It's all explained in the directors cut.

Actually you know what....even though I wrote that wall of text, I'm not going to deny the film has bad writing.

I think us fans all realize that and that isn't what we are trying to defend. Yes there is bad writing, but also there are bad decisions by characters. People make dumb decisions.

Great post earlier up BTW CP. :clap

I'm going to use deleted scenes here, because some of it wasn't so much bad writing, as bad decisions in editing.

Fair enough for arguments' sake.

It was the only way David could communicate with Weyland. They had a lot more scenes planned with it. David ended up talking to a younger Weyland on his super yacht in his dreams, which gave him a good two years worth of pleasant dreams before he dies.

Gives the technology more meaning within the narrative of the movie, so indeed a bad decision on Scott's part as director.

He wasn't supposed to be likable. He was supposed to be a jackass. You can write unlikable characters. You were supposed to understand his anger, but not agree with it.

The whole "Im sick, but I won't tell anyone" thing isn't bad writing, it's a character trait. He's arrogant, and not too bright. He plays everything off, and doesn't take much seriously. He may have good intentions, but he's not that intelligent. So, unless anyone tells me different, he was purposefully dumb written character. :D

Hmmm, not sure I buy that CP... he can be written as a bad/silly character, but you still (as you pointed out) have to understand him, and the writing fails at that IMO.

Because Holloway, one of the two leaders on this expedtion, said **** it, lets go. Because he's a impatient ass.

I don't think he took over at that moment, he took over when they were already surveying the landscape, when he saw the Nasca lines and told Janek to land there.

They didn't have the map, and by the time they realized they were lost, the storm had already passed over the pyramid. It was ****ing with the video monitors. And also, they couldn't do come get them anyway.

Everything was dead in there, so they just said whatever, and didn't care. I mean, what did they have to worry about? No one knew about the goo, or anything. It was a dead tomb.

Nah, they got lost before the storm hit and the map was being displayed in real time on the Prometheus, so whatever happened, Prometheus could still tell them to backtrack.

It is. There's a deleted scene showing him doing the same thing to another worm like creature. But whatever. He got what he deserved. Dumb character action.

Yup, not much more to say about that...

Lots of drugs into your body and SPACE STAPLES. :lol

:rotfl

The deleted scene made his conclusion have weight, and meaning. He told Vickers he used to work at a military biological research outpost, and one day the chemical got out, and everyone died. He said it seemed like the same sort of situation happened there. Bad decision in editing. It also gave Vickers more character.

Add that deleted scene, and you have more weight. But the other two probably have been flying with him for years. They would rather all go down saving the world, then letting their friend die alone. And probably because there was little hope of getting off the ship anyway.

I remember way back when the Alien prequel was announced I said I was worried because Scott was clearly past his prime. Hate to be proven right on this. :(

No it doesn't. I'm not sure why they had to kill Vickers off that way. I could say fear and stuff...but eh. It's not clear, and not a good death.

Indeed, Vickers, whether you liked her or not, deserved a better death.

I think some of your points have merit. But like I said, it's more of the deleted scenes should've been kept in...and silly characters.

I mean, people love the Walking Dead, even though that show has some of the dumbest characters i've seen on TV. People can be dumb. Even scientists. :D

Happy we agree on most points.
Sometimes it's fun dissecting movies like this, especially when you can still take a step back and appreciate them for the things they get right.

Regarding Shaw's c-section...after that point in the film, she hunched over and moaned in pain practically every five minutes until the end. I can't tell you how many times I see someone get shot or receive another severe injury and act as if nothing has happened in movies/TV shows.

I agree with you there. Harry Potter sucks.

:exactly: :hi5:

nitpicker-coladj-blog.jpg

:lol

Regarding Shaw's c-section...after that point in the film, she hunched over and moaned in pain practically every five minutes until the end. I can't tell you how many times I see someone get shot or receive another severe injury and act as if nothing has happened in movies/TV shows.

Makes you wonder if she is bleeding under the space suite? After all, she was hit in the stomach, running, jumping, an Engineer attacking and falling on her.... etc..... And BTW, she ripped the umbilical cord herself... Whatever happened to the placenta? :dunno

Regarding Shaw's c-section...after that point in the film, she hunched over and moaned in pain practically every five minutes until the end.

No. Just no. Do you even understand what a C-section is!? Probably not if you think it's plausible for a chick to have one and be up and running shortly afterwards, moving around like a gymnast only periodically having to hunch over and moan in pain "practically every five minutes" even with Lindelof-convenient space drugs. There's only one explanation for that: Bad Writing.

I can't tell you how many times I see someone get shot or receive another severe injury and act as if nothing has happened in movies/TV shows.

Name a movie where someone receives an injury that affects movement that's still inexplicably seen running around with no assistance like a gymnast on crack and I'll say it's just as stupid and badly written as Prometheus.

Name a movie where someone receives an injury that affects movement that's still inexplicably seen running around with no assistance like a gymnast on crack and I'll say it's just as stupid and badly written as Prometheus.

In the film 127 Hours/real life biography Aron Ralston breaks and severs his arm with a blunt knife. The wound is left open and he loses alot of blood, has no anesthetic or painkillers, no water and he manages to escape by travelling over miles and miles of tough rockface.

Everything about this real life event beats anything shown in any horror/sci-fi film ever made.

[ame]https://youtu.be/2Vo3INoJZLA[/ame]

Last edited:
Such a good scene.

:exactly:

If someone in 2003 can survive a self amputation with no medical assistance atall and stumble their way back over canyons then I'm sure somone in a fictional film set in 2093 tanked up with the latest medical tools can do what she did. You could see she was in pain too.

:exactly:

If someone in 2003 can survive a self amputation with no medical assistance atall and stumble their way back over canyons then I'm sure somone in a fictional film set in 2093 tanked up with the latest medical tools can do what she did. You could see she was in pain too.

:goodpost::exactly:
In 80 years anyone who thinks pharm won't be any more advanced is naive as hell or just plain stupid.

:goodpost::exactly:
In 80 years anyone who thinks pharm won't be any more advanced is naive as hell or just plain stupid.

I think that example just blew the argument out of sight really.:D Unless someone can give me an indepth scientific analysis as to how a self amputation is nothing compared to a futuristic operation. Put one arm behind your back now and try running. Your balance is off completely.

It was Aron Ralston's mental power that helped him survive that ordeal.

I think that example just blew the argument out of sight really.:D Unless someone can give me an indepth scientific analysis as to how a self amputation is nothing compared to a futuristic operation. Put one arm behind your back now and try running. Your balance is off completely.

It was Aron Ralston's mental power that helped him survive that ordeal.

Someone needs to do a Midichlorian count on that boy. :lol

I don't see why there's still a "people did dumb **** in this movie" debate. I can pick apart any movie you give me for that matter. Alien and Aliens were also riddled with dumb decisions by characters. There's an 8 foot man-eating creature out there so let's go down a dark hallway or air duct alone....or Ripley running back for her cat when the ship is on self destruct mode with only seconds left. This thread feels more like trolling by some, than anything else.

This thread feels more like trolling by some, than anything else.

This film irks people enough that they can't help but come back and complain. It happens in every film thread on here but this one seems to keep on going and going...

Afew of us were saying how we didn't like Harry Potter before yet I wouldn't go into the Harry Potter threads and start repeatedly going on about how is it possible that they can fly on broomsticks.

Back