official Sideshow 1:6 Snake Eyes discussion thread (with full photo)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm talking about people who train in martial arts and get themselves into peak condition, which he's supposed to be in. See, someone's body changes depending on what they're doing or training in, generally.

If you're an M60 gunner, you're going to have a lot of weight on you. You're going to be a big guy. Noone's saying Snake Eyes isn't tall. But if you're training in the ways of the ninja, there's a good chance you're going to end up similar in build to them...especially if you eat what they eat, do their exercises, and emulate their training exactly, which I'd guess is what he'd be doing. There's a giant difference in what your body has to do when you're an M60 gunner as opposed to a ninja.

I really don't care what artists have drawn him as...he looks different every time a new artists sketches him. The point of Sideshow's line is to present a "realistic" take on the property, not emulate everyone that's done it before. I don't really care if you've gone over it a dozen times or none, it's going to keep coming up so long as people keep being stupid about it.

you appear to have very little understanding of genetics and of the history of this character....

first off he's genrally been portrayed as one of the more muscular and built joes on the team...

second of all he hasn't been living with ninjas and eating what they eat... he's been living in a barracks with soldiers eating what they eat.... before that he was living alone in a cabin in the high sierras like grizzly adams... hunting game and hanging out with wolves...

he only lived with ninjas relatively briefly. Between the time when he came home from the war and the time the hard master was assassinated...

regardless of how long he spent there it doesn't change his basic build and frame...

he isn't going to suddenly become genetically japanese from hanging out with ninjas... it's not contagious :)

he has never really been portrayed as sleight or slim...

you are correct about one thing though ...

"it's going to keep coming up so long as people keep being stupid about it."

welcome to the ranks of those people.

The bunk beds were a terrible idea, why'd you let us do that?!

large_stepb.jpg

I'm talking about people who train in martial arts and get themselves into peak condition, which he's supposed to be in. See, someone's body changes depending on what they're doing or training in, generally.

If you're an M60 gunner, you're going to have a lot of weight on you. You're going to be a big guy. Noone's saying Snake Eyes isn't tall. But if you're training in the ways of the ninja, there's a good chance you're going to end up similar in build to them...especially if you eat what they eat, do their exercises, and emulate their training exactly, which I'd guess is what he'd be doing. There's a giant difference in what your body has to do when you're an M60 gunner as opposed to a ninja.

I really don't care what artists have drawn him as...he looks different every time a new artists sketches him. The point of Sideshow's line is to present a "realistic" take on the property, not emulate everyone that's done it before. I don't really care if you've gone over it a dozen times or none, it's going to keep coming up so long as people keep being stupid about it.

I'd use myself here as an example, having studies Martial Arts from around the world including the obscurities and weighing in at 6'5" and 270lbs, but nobody knows me and I want to keep it that way. :lol

Bolo Yeung is an accomplished Martial Artist. Chuck Norris is also an accomplished Martial Artist. So is Jeff Speakman, Sammo Hung and Steven Segal. Although two are in fact Asian, none of these men are small, little ripped Asians. Hell, do yourself a favor and look up Stephen Hayes. He was the first and highest accomplished American practitioner of Ninjitsu. While I don't think Snake Eyes needs to have a body like Arnold Schwarzenegger, I also don't believe he would possess a body like Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan. He's a blond haired, blue eyed all American guy who just happens to have trained in Ninjitsu (as well as numerous other martial arts). I don't think that would physically shrink the man to Asian proportions, but much like the Heavyweight fighters in MMA and most non-Asian Martial Artists, it would tone the hell out of what he has.

Well I've decided that I will eventually pick up Snake Eyes.. just unsure when. Totally going for Timber though. I think I may just stop with Snake, Timber and Storm Shadow.

I have been a fan of the Joe figures, cartoons, and comics for years, and never thought of Snake Eyes as being one of the "more built" Joes. Roadblock would be the biggest probably, followed by Gung Ho. I always thought of Snake as being a medium-sized guy. Maybe more toned than most. But, whatever :huh

But what are you going to do about the height? The TT is alot taller than the pro.

Here is a quick comparison:

From left to right Hot Toys TT, Sideshow Prometheus and Snake Eyes on a True type:

dibujomog.jpg

Taller yes, but not a lot taller.

PD. also note that Snake Eyes neck piece is longer than a HT TT neck.

Yep, average sized Joe. . .well, apart from "Ninja Force," but of course, that doesn't count :)

I dunno. Version 5 (gray vest and blue turtleneck) is kinda Schwarzeneggery... :lol

Here is a quick comparison:

From left to right Hot Toys TT, Sideshow Prometheus and Snake Eyes on a True type:

dibujomog.jpg

Taller yes, but not a lot taller.

PD. also note that Snake Eyes neck piece is longer than a HT TT neck.

Well, he's taller than the TT opposite and considerably taller than the Pro next to him which is what all the other Joes will be on. So you're proving the anti-TT point. :p

LOL!!

Did u read my post? I said it is taller!!! :rotfl

I wasn't inferring yourself, moreso addressing the issue to those who are for the TT saying there isn't much of a difference and he'll display fine with the rest of the Pro-based Joes. Your results are the same as mine were and this is the reason I put mine back on the Pro.

I wasn't inferring yourself, moreso addressing the issue to those who are for the TT saying there isn't much of a difference and he'll display fine with the rest of the Pro-based Joes. Your results are the same as mine were and this is the reason I put mine back on the Pro.

That's subjective, if we are talking about heights, I don't see much of a difference between the pro and the naked true type next to him.

Is not like everybody in the joe world is suppossed to have the same height, weight and body build.

That's subjective, if we are talking about heights, I don't see much of a difference between the pro and the naked true type next to him.

Is not like everybody in the joe world is suppossed to have the same height, weight and body build.

It's not really subjective. The topic of needing to pick up a TT for every Joe to keep them in scale is appropriate here then as well. If the Pro's supposed to represent the average Joe at 6ft, and the TT to the right is taller, I'd guess a good representation of 6'4," then your Snake Eyes is topping the charts at the scaled equivalent of about 6'6," putting him in Dooku territory heightwise. :lol

It's not really subjective. The topic of needing to pick up a TT for every Joe to keep them in scale is appropriate here then as well. If the Pro's supposed to represent the average Joe at 6ft, and the TT to the right is taller, I'd guess a good representation of 6'4," then your Snake Eyes is topping the charts at the scaled equivalent of about 6'6," putting him in Dooku territory heightwise. :lol

Wrong. The simple fact is it IS subjective and a matter of preference. I have no intention of converting all of the Joes to a TT and I'll wait until I have Stormshadow in-hand to decide whether or not he needs a conversion but it definitely makes my Snake Eyes look better than on a puny Pro with no crotch (and why the Stormtrooper has such a small codpiece) slumping shoulders and toothpick arms and loose joints. It just gives him better proportion and definition. And the TT is true 1:6 scale whereas the Pro is slightly under now which will throw the 1:6 scale off since Sideshow is basically DOWNSIZING from their Buck down to undersized Medicom scale.

Wrong. The simple fact is it IS subjective and a matter of preference. I have no intention of converting all of the Joes to a TT and I'll wait until I have Stormshadow in-hand to decide whether or not he needs a conversion but it definitely makes my Snake Eyes look better than on a puny Pro with no crotch (and why the Stormtrooper has such a small codpiece) slumping shoulders and toothpick arms and loose joints. It just gives him better proportion and definition. And the TT is true 1:6 scale whereas the Pro is slightly under now which will throw the 1:6 scale off since Sideshow is basically DOWNSIZING from their Buck down to undersized Medicom scale.

You are right it is a matter of preference. To be honest with you I dont like either. SE looks bad on both the pro and TT imo. Its a pick your poison question. No shoulder or shrugging ones?:D

I dont think they downsized, I just think that they ^^^^ed up and picked the wrong modular parts. I really believe that the pro modular parts used is the equivalent of the short, and who ever decided to go with that was not paying attention. The reason I say this is because, I just changed my Darth Maul to the pro and it looks fantastic and in scale with the other SW figures.

Since SE is wearing baggy pants, I dont think the crotch size would matter.:lol

At least the TT gives him more of an athletic build as opposed to a geriatric old man. I REALLY hate the Pro. It really is an inferior body (IMO). So far I've had to do MAJOR rework on EVERY figure released on the Pro and that's just BS. For as much as Sideshow is charging now I shouldn't have to do this much UPGRADING just to make my figures look better. I seriously want them to either discontinue the Pro and sub-license the TT or completely revise the Pro to a much needed and improved 2.0 model.

Back