Official "The Dark Knight" SPOILER Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you guys seen this? THe first official review from Peter Travers of Rolling Stone...

The Dark Knight

Starring: Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Heath Ledger, Gary Oldman, Aaron Eckhart

Directed by: Christopher Nolan

RS: 3.5of 4 Stars Average User Rating: 4of 4 Stars

2008 Warner Bros. Pictures Action

Heads up: a thunderbolt is about to rip into the blanket of bland we call summer movies. The Dark Knight, director Christopher Nolan's absolute stunner of a follow-up to 2005's Batman Begins, is a potent provocation decked out as a comic-book movie. Feverish action? Check. Dazzling spectacle? Check. Devilish fun? Check. But Nolan is just warming up. There's something raw and elemental at work in this artfully imagined universe. Striking out from his Batman origin story, Nolan cuts through to a deeper dimension. Huh? Wha? How can a conflicted guy in a bat suit and a villain with a cracked, painted-on clown smile speak to the essentials of the human condition? Just hang on for a shock to the system. The Dark Knight creates a place where good and evil — expected to do battle — decide instead to get it on and dance. "I don't want to kill you," Heath Ledger's psycho Joker tells Christian Bale's stalwart Batman. "You complete me." Don't buy the tease. He means it.

The trouble is that Batman, a.k.a. playboy Bruce Wayne, has had it up to here with being the white knight. He's pissed that the public sees him as a vigilante. He'll leave the hero stuff to district attorney Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart) and stop the DA from moving in on Rachel Dawes (feisty Maggie Gyllenhaal, in for sweetie Katie Holmes), the lady love who is Batman's only hope for a normal life.

Everything gleams like sin in Gotham City (cinematographer Wally Pfister shot on location in Chicago, bringing a gritty reality to a cartoon fantasy). And the bad guys seem jazzed by their evildoing. Take the Joker, who treats a stunningly staged bank robbery like his private video game with accomplices in Joker masks, blood spurting and only one winner. Nolan shot this sequence, and three others, for the IMAX screen and with a finesse for choreographing action that rivals Michael Mann's Heat. But it's what's going on inside the Bathead that pulls us in. Bale is electrifying as a fallibly human crusader at war with his own conscience.

I can only speak superlatives of Ledger, who is mad-crazy-blazing brilliant as the Joker. Miles from Jack Nicholson's broadly funny take on the role in Tim Burton's 1989 Batman, Ledger takes the role to the shadows, where even what's comic is hardly a relief. No plastic mask for Ledger; his face is caked with moldy makeup that highlights the red scar of a grin, the grungy hair and the yellowing teeth of a hound fresh out of hell. To the clown prince of crime, a knife is preferable to a gun, the better to "savor the moment."

The deft script, by Nolan and his brother Jonathan, taking note of Bob Kane's original Batman and Frank Miller's bleak rethink, refuses to explain the Joker with pop psychology. Forget Freudian hints about a dad who carved a smile into his son's face with a razor. As the Joker says, "What doesn't kill you makes you stranger."

The Joker represents the last completed role for Ledger, who died in January at 28 before finishing work on Terry Gilliam's The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. It's typical of Ledger's total commitment to films as diverse as Brokeback Mountain and I'm Not There that he does nothing out of vanity or the need to be liked. If there's a movement to get him the first posthumous Oscar since Peter Finch won for 1976's Network, sign me up. Ledger's Joker has no gray areas — he's all rampaging id. Watch him crash a party and circle Rachel, a woman torn between Bale's Bruce (she knows he's Batman) and Eckhart's DA, another lover she has to share with his civic duty. "Hello, beautiful," says the Joker, sniffing Rachel like a feral beast. He's right when he compares himself to a dog chasing a car: The chase is all. The Joker's sadism is limitless, and the masochistic delight he takes in being punched and bloodied to a pulp would shame the Marquis de Sade. "I choose chaos," says the Joker, and those words sum up what's at stake in The Dark Knight.

The Joker wants Batman to choose chaos as well. He knows humanity is what you lose while you're busy making plans to gain power. Every actor brings his A game to show the lure of the dark side. Michael Caine purrs with sarcastic wit as Bruce's butler, Alfred, who harbors a secret that could crush his boss's spirit. Morgan Freeman radiates tough wisdom as Lucius Fox, the scientist who designs those wonderful toys — wait till you get a load of the Batpod — but who finds his own standards being compromised. Gary Oldman is so skilled that he makes virtue exciting as Jim Gordon, the ultimate good cop and as such a prime target for the Joker. As Harvey tells the Caped Crusader, "You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become a villain." Eckhart earns major props for scarily and movingly portraying the DA's transformation into the dreaded Harvey Two-Face, an event sparked by the brutal murder of a major character.

No fair giving away the mysteries of The Dark Knight. It's enough to marvel at the way Nolan — a world-class filmmaker, be it Memento, Insomnia or The Prestige — brings pop escapism whisper-close to enduring art. It's enough to watch Bale chillingly render Batman as a lost warrior, evoking Al Pacino in The Godfather II in his delusion and desolation. It's enough to see Ledger conjure up the anarchy of the Sex Pistols and A Clockwork Orange as he creates a Joker for the ages. Go ahead, ^^^^^ about the movie being too long, at two and a half hours, for short attention spans (it is), too somber for the Hulk crowd (it is), too smart for its own good (it isn't). The haunting and visionary Dark Knight soars on the wings of untamed imagination. It's full of surprises you don't see coming. And just try to get it out of your dreams.

DK-CN-00009.jpg

DK-32148r.jpg

112dbx4.jpg

DK-FC-00081c.jpg

DK-CN-00019.jpg

DK-02995.jpg

I give Bale huge props for having the balls to do that ledge shot. Granted he's harnessed and all, but I'd be scared to the point of cringing like a little baby in fetal position looking down from there, and he's in the Batsuit to boot. Dude gives his movies everything he's got.

I'm starting to see more and more shots/scenes that are taken from the '89 Batman film. The street showdown between Joker and Batman with Joker taunting him to "hit me!" was the first.

Now that image of all the monitors reminds me of the scene in '89 where Bruce is sitting in the Batcave watching the Joker on the screen.

Not sure if its been posted already but:

The Dark Knight Credits Include...
Source: Warner Bros. Pictures
June 27, 2008

In memory of our friends
HEATH LEDGER
&
CONWAY WICKLIFFE

I'm starting to see more and more shots/scenes that are taken from the '89 Batman film. The street showdown between Joker and Batman with Joker taunting him to "hit me!" was the first.

Now that image of all the monitors reminds me of the scene in '89 where Bruce is sitting in the Batcave watching the Joker on the screen.

The good filmmakers pay homage to where things start; Nolan's doing his own thing, but I'm sure he recognizes that Burton's the one who took Batman off the pages and really made something of him in live action, far more than the Adam West series.

The good filmmakers pay homage to where things start; Nolan's doing his own thing, but I'm sure he recognizes that Burton's the one who took Batman off the pages and really made something of him in live action, far more than the Adam West series.

I just hope it stays as an homage and doesn't unravel into just recycling old scenes.

Eh...even if it does, it'll still kick ass...

https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080627/ap_en_ot/film_dark_knight_first_look;_ylt=AugycdYKGFO23vIKsC0GLLIDW7oF

LOS ANGELES - The buzz over Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker in "The Dark Knight" for the last several months was justified. With his final full film role, Ledger delivers what may be remembered as the finest performance of his career.

ADVERTISEMENT

A press screening of the "Batman Begins" sequel Thursday night had the audience cackling along with Ledger's Joker, a depraved creature utterly without conscience whom the late actor played with gleeful anarchy.

At times sounding like a cross between tough guy James Cagney in a gangster flick and Philip Seymour Hoffman's fastidious Truman Capote, Ledger elevates Batman's No. 1 nemesis to a place even Jack Nicholson did not take him in 1989's "Batman."

Nicholson's Joker was campy and clever. Ledger's Joker is an all-out terror, definitely funny but with a lunatic moral mission to drag all of Gotham, the city Batman thanklessly protects, down to his own dim assessment of humanity.

Spewing alternate personal histories for how he got the horrible scars on his face, the Joker hides behind distorted clown makeup that looks like a chalk drawing left out in the rain.

The Joker masterminds a series of escalating abductions, assassination attempts, murders and bombings, all aimed at calling out Batman (Christian Bale) and proving to the tormented vigilante hero that they are two sides of the same coin.

"You complete me," the Joker tells Batman, dementedly borrowing Tom Cruise's sappy romantic line from "Jerry Maguire."

Long before Ledger's death in January from an accidental prescription drug overdose, his collaborators on "The Dark Knight" had been describing his performance as a new high in the art of villainy for a comic-book adaptation.

Director Christopher Nolan, reuniting with "Batman Begins" star Bale, told The Associated Press earlier this year that Ledger came through with precisely what he had envisioned for this take on the Joker, "a young, anarchic presence, somebody who is genuinely threatening to the establishment."

"It was though they'd taken the Joker and all the colors, everything of it, and just kind of put him through a Turkish prison for a decade or so," Bale told the AP. "It's like he's gone through that personal hell to come out being this, if you can even call him mad, at the end here."

A best-actor Academy Award nominee for "Brokeback Mountain," Ledger has earned fresh Oscar buzz for "The Dark Knight," which could land him in the supporting-actor race.

Running just over two and a half hours, "The Dark Knight" is a true crime epic. Throughout, the Joker's bag of tricks is bottomless, twisted to the point of horror-flick sick.

"Some men aren't looking for anything logical," Michael Caine's butler Alfred tells Bruce, who's trying to decipher the Joker's motives. "Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Come July 18, when "The Dark Knight" lands in theaters, the world will be watching Ledger burn up the screen.

some developments revealed in the Gotham Tonight spots that are on Comcast On Demand. Gorham Tonight is an Entertainment Tonight style show.

since not everyone gets them, here are the major details revealed...

there are some interesting things here and i apologize ahead of time if they are already know.

Ep 1 - Takes place the night that Harvey Dent wins the election for DA and is a three-way :)naughty) interview between the interim DA (Garcetti), Harvey Dent's media rep and a woman representing a victim's advocacy group, fighting for the right for Batman to clean up the streets . Garcetti, as it turns out, is going to be investigated for his connection to the crime boss that replaced Falcone, Sal Morone (Eric Roberts). Also, Dent is going after corrupt cops.

Ep 2 -Spotlight on Bruce Wayne. Bruce is currently living in a two-story penthouse while Wayne Manor is being rebuilt. Meanwhile, Bruce is using the company to fund his research into next-gen Bat-Tech (i.e. stealth rotor blades...Bat-Copter in the next one?)

Ep 3 - Expose on senseless crime spree plaguing the city. Johnathan Crane is still about and spiking hits of E with his fear toxin. Someone stole a large amount on amonium nitrate and had the "balls" to smile at the security at the camera as he left.

Ep 4 - Spotlight on Jim Gordon. Promoted to Lt after the debacle with Arkham, the bridges being raised (and denying escape to the city) and the Narrows and used by the near-disgraced commisioner to placate the city. Flass was found to be dirty and was taken down by Dent. Gordon promoted to head of the Major Crimes Unit. And when asked about the Bat-Signal, claims it's a short in the lighting and he's been trying to fix it himself. Oh, and not to tell his wife because she's been after him to change the light-bulb in the basement.

Last edited:
Joker in #3?

When asked if he thought they should recast Ledger for the third film, or just not include the character, Gary thought it was a good idea, "I don't see why not. I mean, they did it with Katie Holmes' character. I understand that this is a different circumstance, but I think another actor could do the job. I think Heath would want another actor to do the job."

Oldman then took a moment to think about it some more, "Maybe we don't need the Joker. Because we'll have The Riddler." Yes, Oldman alluded to the fact that The Riddler may in fact be the next on-screen Batman villain.

https://www.movieweb.com/news/18/29618.php

See, now that news, I'm not necessarily a fan of on the concept alone. I thought the idea was that Two-Face would be the core of the next film. I'm not against the Riddler, I'm just really excited about the idea of a mainly Two-Face film, and certainly the Riddler should be prominent. I trust whatever Nolan does, but that's a news bit that gives me mixed feelings about that story panning out.

I totally agree, Maul. Totally agree.

Oldman could be foolin' the reporter. Regardless, it's pretty ballsy to be asking those guys if they are going to recast Ledger.

Well unfortunately that's how a lot of reporters are, they don't want to get the story, they want to push for the controversial stuff. It is intriguing though, just what sort of Riddler would exist in Nolan's world. I'm only used to the cartoons, West show and Batman forever, so I only know him as a goofy, comical character, be interesting to see how Nolan would make him a villain that fits in his Gotham.

Ugh. No Riddler please. Still, he's better than Clayface or Man Bat.

I'd much prefer Catwoman. :monkey5

Back