Official "The Dark Knight" SPOILER Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Riddler is used best as a two bit criminal who was obsessed with Riddles. He never does anything too outlandish really, outside of the Hush books. And over time Batman just used him for information on other criminals because he was easy to crack. He was never a huge mastermind or twisted like the Joker.

But, I would like him in a film simply as a red herring. Just to show his true uselessness.

The Penguin is next, trust me...has everyone forgotten the old early rumours that Oswald was meant to cameo in this flick ????

I wonder what Nolan would do with the Penguin? A secret mob boss type thing ala Kingpin? He certainly has the flamboyant rich guy thing going which would work well in Nolan's Gotham and be a nice foil to Wayne. I'd like to see Penguin if only to depict something other than that disgusting Burton Penguin abomination and goofball Burgess Meridith version, but every villain except Catwoman seems like a step down from Heath's Joker at this point. What villain would up the stakes even further from Joker & Scarecrow??? Thank goodness Two Face will be in the third flick.

Burgess Meredith owned as the Penguin, and I'll fight any man who says different.

He was fun to watch and fit in well with the tone of that goofy show but I'd like something a bit darker and more threatening in a Nolan Penguin.

Exactly. Nothing against Burgess, but that interpretation simply DOES NOT fit into the Nolanverse.

Exactly. Nothing against Burgess, but that interpretation simply DOES NOT fit into the Nolanverse.

That's the beautiful thing about the casting in Nolan's films, they all work perfectly for his world, no one has felt out of place. He picks actors and shapes the characters to keep it all together.

Yes, he's definitely refrained from "stunt" casting so far....here's hoping that trend continues (if these movies do)....

I'm warming to Nolans interpretation of Batman. I'm thinking the Penguin would be a mob boss type, if they pick the Riddler he'd be along the lines of a Zodiak style killer?? The Catwoman - master thief...the possibilities for the third are quite exciting...oh yeah, the appearance of a proper Batmobile

I love what Nolan does, he goes right to the core of the characters themselves. He strips away all the extra stuff and goes for what they were originally designed to be. Penguin was a dapper little guy who earned his nickname for his looks and clothing style. He was a gangster, through and through... just a very odd one.

Catwoman was a thief, plain and simple.

Riddler was never a killer, just a guy who robbed banks and stole cash... but he was obsessed with Riddles and started trying to outsmart Batman with them... usually led to his capture though, his obsession did him in normally.

I can only think of the possibilities of what Nolan could do with those characters. I just hope the next film focuses on Two Face, give him a proper story worthy of the character and the setup of this film.

Yeah i agree totally, the one BIG disappointment i have however, is the loss of that visual tone that Burton captured. His films had that timeless quality, as if Gotham was stuck between different periods in time...Gothic, art deco etc etc. He captured the spirit of Batman (in that sense) beautifully.
Still Nolans style is excellent of coarse

I still love the Chicago style though. It just brings Batman into reality, which works better in my mind. I still do love the Burton films and the fantasy world he created for Batman. Just something about this works better for me.

I still love the Chicago style though. It just brings Batman into reality, which works better in my mind. I still do love the Burton films and the fantasy world he created for Batman. Just something about this works better for me.

I'm with you Josh. Sure no comic story will ever be realistic, but I prefer when comic stories are set in realistic context, like the X-Men series, the new Hulk movie, I'm sure Iron Man. I don't know what it is, but it's more appealing.

They're like comic book artists, each director bringing his own style to the same material...as long as Nolan stays away from the possibility of adding nips to the batsuit, then were all happy!

The best way i can describe how i best picture Batman is Les' 1939 version...he's captured it perfectly

They're like comic book artists, each director bringing his own style to the same material...as long as Nolan stays away from the possibility of adding nips to the batsuit, then were all happy!

The best way i can describe how i best picture Batman is Les' 1939 version...he's captured it perfectly

That's what I love about art, each artist filters it through their mind and gives us a new vision. I love that.

And Sean, I totally agree. That's how I love my comic films, the characters are the same... but they exist in our world. That's even how I am interpreting my Batman figure set. I saw Les' figures and loved what he did with them... and I wanted to do my own. But I wanted to do it as if they were real... It will really show on the future figures in the lineup too. :D

I'd love to see a "knightfall" type event at the end of one of these moives. That would make a great cliffhanger.

Back