Official "The Dark Knight" SPOILER Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To say that Ledgers death played no part at the box office is just crazy, his death (RIP) brought in at least an extra 100-120 Million. The film was just great no doubt, the story, the acting, just everything was great but his death DID play a HUGE part at the box office.

I would have still made tons of cash but 400 million in just over 2 weeks? C'mon.

Saw it today for the 1st time....I was disapointed.Heath Ledger is amazing and is this movie saving grace..But, Batman looks like a secondary character.Didnt like the story.I thought Harvey Dent's turn to bad guy was too stretched...lots of flaws...I actually like the first part of Batman Begins better than all of this movie.....If Ledger hadnt die, this movie wouldnt be as succesful at it is...People are seeing it out of curiosity...IMO too much hype for this 7/ 10 movie.....Movie of the Summer? Nahh..Iron Man was better.

Is that genuine opinion or just blowin smoke up the as s of fanboys??!

Lets be honest if you're after no brainer popcorn stuff then the likes of Ironman and Hulk are value for money. If you want a deeper grittier film then TDK is just the ticket.

Like its been pointed out... Ironman is comicbook, TDK is graphic novel:monkey1

"Currently, The Dark Knight is the eighth highest grossing movie of all time and Warner Bros' top grossing movie, but by this time next weekend, it's likely to be the fifth or sixth highest grossing movie domestically as it starts targeting Star Wars: Episode I and E. T.: The Extraterrestrial. From there, it's only $70 million away from becoming only the second movie in over 80 years of filmmaking to gross $500 million domestically, not accounting for inflation."

From that same link I posted. If it does make over 500 mil, I'll be a happy camper. Second movie ever to make that amount with no inflation is not bad in my book!

To say that Ledgers death played no part at the box office is just crazy, his death (RIP) brought in at least an extra 100-120 Million. The film was just great no doubt, the story, the acting, just everything was great but his death DID play a HUGE part at the box office.

I would have still made tons of cash but 400 million in just over 2 weeks? C'mon.

I don't know about those number. Nothing against Heath Ledger, but I can't imagine it being his last performance attracted enough people just for that to make those numbers, people aren't going to make a theater trip just to see an actor's last big role like this, some will, but not enough for those numbers. I'd say 80% of the sales are legitimate fans of comic films and Nolan's Batman series that have eagerly wanted to see this movie as well as repeat viewing. I myself have already seen it twice planning a 3rd, some people have already seen 3 and are planning more. I see TDK being like Star Wars was back in 1977, it's a social thing, it's bringing people together, it's stirring up water cooler conversations, it's just turned out to be a movie that has a strong impact on the film viewing community and it's monetary success is reflective of that.

"This city... just showed YOU.... that it's full of people.... ready to believe in GOOOOOOOOD!!!"

The delivery of that line, still god-awful. :monkey4

If the studio estimates are correct, Dark Knight managed to hold on to the #1 spot for the third weekend, with Mummy 3 behind about 1.3 million dollars.

I don't know about those number. Nothing against Heath Ledger, but I can't imagine it being his last performance attracted enough people just for that to make those numbers, people aren't going to make a theater trip just to see an actor's last big role like this, some will, but not enough for those numbers. I'd say 80% of the sales are legitimate fans of comic films and Nolan's Batman series that have eagerly wanted to see this movie as well as repeat viewing. I myself have already seen it twice planning a 3rd, some people have already seen 3 and are planning more. I see TDK being like Star Wars was back in 1977, it's a social thing, it's bringing people together, it's stirring up water cooler conversations, it's just turned out to be a movie that has a strong impact on the film viewing community and it's monetary success is reflective of that.

I just can't agree entirely, sure its an exciting film, story and atmpsphere but you can't tell me that Batman Begins in 2005 which stayed in theatres for over 20 weeks and grossed around 200 mill was that much of a lesser film.

TDK has just passed the 2 week mark (18 less compared to BB) and it is almsot at 400 mill? C'mon there is WAY more than just a fun and exciting "Joker" movie. IMO Ledgers passing added alot to the overall success at the box office.

AMAZING film nonetheless but not so amazing that it will maybe pass the Titanic one day.

I just can't see significant enough numbers coming simply at the hands of Ledger's passing, some ammount for sure, but frankly, some people are foolish saps if they drop that much money just to catch this movie because he's in it.

As for this film compared to Begins, for a broad audience, I think this one has far more appeal than Begins did, Joker alone is a huge factor. Ra's was a great villain for those that can appreciate that type of villain, but Joker can appeal to all kinds, and we live in a screwed up society where burning people alive on money and running a pencil through a guy's eye and things like that hold great favor. I don't personally feel TDK is too far ahead of Begins, but assessing it in terms of appeal to a theater audience, I do think it's significantly beyond Begins. It has all the right things to draw in audiences and repeat viewings; a very entertaining villain, cool action sequences, awesome gadgets, cool effects in Two-Face. Begins' power comes in story, TDK has story too, but it also offers the sort of fun ride like a Transformers or something like that would, and that's what brings in numbers these days, mindless fun, not movies that make you think.

I don't think there is any question that the overall "buzz" for this film was significantly amped by Ledger's death, particularly among the mainstream.

This movie reminds me of the book Davinci Code. The book was really nothing special. Hell, if you read the authors 2 previous books then you would see that Code is the same frickin book set in a different place than his 2 previous books.

The Davinci code simply hit the audience with something that got them coming back for more. Word spread and non-readers picked up the book to see what the buzz was about.

This movie is the same. Is it a great film? No, its simply not. But its hit the audience with something that even non-comic fans and maybe even non-action fans want to come and see what the buzz is about.

This movie is the same. Is it a great film? No, its simply not. But its hit the audience with something that even non-comic fans and maybe even non-action fans want to come and see what the buzz is about.

That's where I think the grossing goes beyond expectation, the general film buzz, not necessarily Ledger.

TDK and Batman movies have a pretty large fan base, that fan base has been getting jazzed for this movie for the last couple years as information has come out, and most of it just because of the expectation of the whole film. So with all those people buzzing and telling their friends and co-workers and everyone they come accross about TDK and speak of it with an amazing passion and excitement, it makes people wonder what's got these people so excited so they want to see it and so on.

Like I said, TDK is follow Star Wars in how it has such a reaction on the audience and then that enthusiasm spills over until it becomes a social event, which I think it was it's reached. The movie has a big buzz between Ledger's death and the fandom satisfaction with what was delivered.

This movie reminds me of the book Davinci Code. The book was really nothing special. Hell, if you read the authors 2 previous books then you would see that Code is the same frickin book set in a different place than his 2 previous books.

The Davinci code simply hit the audience with something that got them coming back for more. Word spread and non-readers picked up the book to see what the buzz was about.

I agree with that to a certain extent. I like the film a lot (it's easily the best "Batman" movie yet) but it's really now more of an event and phenomenon than a film. It's solid and deserves its success, but I think the hype and claim reached its critical mass already. It's not without its flaws.

TDK and Batman movies have a pretty large fan base, that fan base has been getting jazzed for this movie for the last couple years as information has come out, and most of it just because of the expectation of the whole film.
Fans like to think this, but it's really not the case. Core fan bases are NOT what makes films like this become super huge box office phenomenons... it takes the mainstream public and Joe Average (who knows of Batman but is not what you would call a real "fan") to take interest and stir the buzz. The average moviegoer could care less what the diehard fans think. They just want to be entertained and are drawn to "event" movies.

Like I said, TDK is follow Star Wars in how it has such a reaction on the audience and then that enthusiasm spills over until it becomes a social event, which I think it was it's reached. The movie has a big buzz between Ledger's death and the fandom satisfaction with what was delivered.

BINGO!

I personally know several people that went to see this film strictly because of the praise it was receiving. In fact, some of them hardly ever make the trip to the theater for any film.

And I agree with you, Irish. This film certainly has a "phenomenon" aspect to it (I really never expected it to take this much $$$ at the BO), and I will also agree that it has flaws.

I just felt like doing it...

Joe-Kur.jpg

Batman, in the final encounter with The Joker. And I cringe every single time.

Nevermind that the line itself is far too idealistic for Batman... the delivery of it is just, well, horrible. :monkey4

I think it doesn't work for Batman's tough voice. If it was said with the Bruce Wayne voice, it would have sounded more natural, but in a voice that works for "Swear to me!" and "Where is he!", it doesn't sound right.

Back