Official "The Dark Knight" SPOILER Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batman, in the final encounter with The Joker. And I cringe every single time.

Nevermind that the line itself is far too idealistic for Batman... the delivery of it is just, well, horrible. :monkey4

That was an awkward moment, so was the whole "die a hero" line. Just didn't work for me.

That was an awkward moment, so was the whole "die a hero" line. Just didn't work for me.

Ya, the verbage of that line has the same sour taste as movies that cheesily force the film title into the movie's dialogue somewhere. TDK does that, but it sounds good and noble the way Oldman delivered it, but some movies it feels forced. Same with the hero dialogue, it doesn't come off as words someone would naturally say.

"This city... just showed YOU.... that it's full of people.... ready to believe in GOOOOOOOOD!!!"

The delivery of that line, still god-awful. :monkey4

I didn't care for that line either, but I hope you apply the same critique to Healy's god awful delivery of the only lines we've heard from Watchmen so far. It's enough to almost ruin the entire trailer. Almost.

The Scarecrow cameo was also awkward. In those short scenes, Cillian sounded nothing like he did in BB.

The Scarecrow cameo was also awkward. In those short scenes, Cillian sounded nothing like he did in BB.

Ya, I actually thought it wasn't him at first and that's why the mask was on, to hide the fact it wasnt, but then Batman takes it off and you know. I'm sure it was due to the fact he had such a small bit, he didn't really get into character.

It was a bit of a wasted cameo, but I think in a way it was necessary to give his character some closure. Begins left him out on the streets, they open TDK with him getting locked away, it removes him as a thread out there and establishes Joker as the only real threat in Gotham.

I just felt like doing it...

Joe-Kur.jpg

European Joker :lol

I think that Ledger is dead and did such a fantastic job is a big part of the buzz, if it was a average performance I think the attention would be considerably less. I'm sure there are plenty of other actors who had movies come out after their death without it bumping up the amount it earns that much.

Also I think that the movie is very good and is getting alot of buzz about that. People who normally don't go see movies like this are curious because they usually aren't as popular as this so they are going to check it out. Among my classmates I'm the only one who usually goes to see these superhero movies with any regularity, most of my classmates went to see this for the reason I stated above. Also my sister went with me and really liked it, and this isn't generally her type of movie.

I loved the film but two things got to me, and both of them are "endings". #

1) Did they kill off Two Face, or will he return...

2) The Joker...i loved the fall, i didnt like the rescue...it would have been fitting for the Joker to have forced Batman to break his "one rule"

Also side note, was i the only person who found it really ominous with the line "We will keep doing this forever"...really got me thinking :p

I loved the film but two things got to me, and both of them are "endings". #

2) The Joker...i loved the fall, i didnt like the rescue...it would have been fitting for the Joker to have forced Batman to break his "one rule"

1. Well Harvey Dent is dead. Two Face? I don't think he should return.

2. He will never break that rule. Even in The Dark Knight Returns, he could only bring himself to breaking Jokers neck.

This to me is sort of the "genius" of Nolan. The Harvey/Two-Face story is somewhat brought to closure and left open all the same, and what they do with a 3rd film is what determines his fate in TDK, which is great. If they want to continue to use Two-Face, then the end of TDK will be such that Harvey died and his new persona is all that remains. If they're done with the character, then he will physically have died at the end of TDK. The way they filmed it, whatever course the character takes will be satisfactory with this end, which is why I think it's very genius of Nolan to do it that way, instead of a blatant sequel showing end, he gives one that could go two ways so he has options for his third film but he's not bound to a certain character appearing. It also works if a 3rd film in this grouping isn't made, you're not left like well his story wasn't finished, it will be if the series doesn't continue, he died, 100%.

1. Well Harvey Dent is dead. Two Face? I don't think he should return.

2. He will never break that rule. Even in The Dark Knight Returns, he could only bring himself to breaking Jokers neck.

Its a shame, Two Face was always one of my favorite baddies as a kid. I'd like to see him return, but wont be too cut up if he didnt...

As for what you said there about "The Dark Knight Returns", could have sworn 9 times out of 10 "breaking the neck" is a good way to off someone ;)...I guess i just felt it fitting for the Joker to fall to his death (again) laughing like a complete nutter :)

Just saw it a couple of hours ago, I think it was very good, but for one part.
The whole transformation of Harvey Dent into Two Face seemed a little too extreme. I just can't buy that that character who was such a crusader against crime, would go nuts and try to kill an innocent kid for revenge. I could buy him getting revenge on the mobsters and dirty cops, but not Gordon and Gordon's family.

Ledger was brilliant, but I think that's mostly due to the script. I just can't see him deserving an Oscar for his Joker over Robert Downy Jr.'s Tony Stark.

The plot was a little dense when it came to the Joker, this definitely deserves another viewing. I'll wait for the DVD though.

I don't find Harvey's transformation to extreme, but the lead ups may be too subtle.

Harvey, as much as he is a crusader of justice, is equally concerned with Rachel, much like Anakin in Star Wars, and it is that dedication to his love that makes him prone to uncharacteristic acts in reaction to that love.

His scarring and Rachel's death showed him a Gotham that all his best efforts could not fix, and left him feeling his efforts were in vein, and that the only true justic is chance, so he leaves his life to chance, letting the coin determine what he will or won't do. His ultimate motive was to make the people who affected his destiny experience what he went through. He had a deep hatred for Gordon because of trying to explain on two occassions that he had corrupt officers in his unit and Gordon paying no mind to that. He felt had Gordon listened, none of what happend would have, and so the only thing he felt was right to be done was to make Gordon experience the sensation of pleading to a loved one as they're about to die.

The big flaw in the transition, which someone else pointed out a while ago, is a lack of establishing an unstable mental state for Harvey. The White Knight was pushed solely, with little suggestion of his dark side, and the few signs given may not be strong enough for everyone to pick up on, so when he goes from White Knight to evil, it's a dramatic transition.

I don't find Harvey's transformation to extreme, but the lead ups may be too subtle.

Harvey, as much as he is a crusader of justice, is equally concerned with Rachel, much like Anakin in Star Wars, and it is that dedication to his love that makes him prone to uncharacteristic acts in reaction to that love.

His scarring and Rachel's death showed him a Gotham that all his best efforts could not fix, and left him feeling his efforts were in vein, and that the only true justic is chance, so he leaves his life to chance, letting the coin determine what he will or won't do. His ultimate motive was to make the people who affected his destiny experience what he went through. He had a deep hatred for Gordon because of trying to explain on two occassions that he had corrupt officers in his unit and Gordon paying no mind to that. He felt had Gordon listened, none of what happend would have, and so the only thing he felt was right to be done was to make Gordon experience the sensation of pleading to a loved one as they're about to die.

The big flaw in the transition, which someone else pointed out a while ago, is a lack of establishing an unstable mental state for Harvey. The White Knight was pushed solely, with little suggestion of his dark side, and the few signs given may not be strong enough for everyone to pick up on, so when he goes from White Knight to evil, it's a dramatic transition.

That's very a good explanation, but I still don't buy it. He was trying to stop crime not create it, and killing an innocent kid for revenge on his father is just way over the line. Probably the most extreme act possible. If there was some more mental instability shown earlier on, then yeah I could buy it more easily.
Maybe there's more to the character that I didn't pick up on, a second viewing might help.

That's very a good explanation, but I still don't buy it. He was trying to stop crime not create it, and killing an innocent kid for revenge on his father is just way over the line. Probably the most extreme act possible. If there was some more mental instability shown earlier on, then yeah I could buy it more easily.
Maybe there's more to the character that I didn't pick up on, a second viewing might help.

Well, I don't know your background, but I'm sure my ability to buy into it is influenced by watching Two-Face in the old animated series of the 90s, following Anakin's fall to the Dark Side in Star Wars and things like that, I'm sure my mind fills in blanks that the film fails to present.

This is how i read it, i'm completely wrong, but to me it makes sense;

Dents threatening to kill the boy at the end of the film was a play on Dent's and Rachel's desperate hope of survival. Deep down inside he was never going to hurt the boy, he was always going to shoot Gordon...as Gordon was playing out Rachel's part in the "play", telling his son that he was going to be ok...when in truth he never was in danger as he was only standing in place of Dent himself.

They should have shown some more obvious "darkness" to Dent during the lead up to him becoming disfigured, but they didnt.

if any of that makes any sense...you get a cookiee

Back