Official "The Dark Knight" SPOILER Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol I finally realized what the line, "He's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now" means! :winner

Soo apparently TDK is getting re-released in January. May be Imax only or may be wide, no one is sure yet. It's a play to get in the Oscar running for Heath but it might also give it that last little push to get it past Titanic too..

It is not going to pass Titanic. People need to get over it.:lol:lol:lol

And Gary Oldman deserves a lot of credit for how moving the ending is. Not many actors could pull that off without that speech/dialogue seeming cheesy and overdone. But he does.

And Gary Oldman deserves a lot of credit for how moving the ending is. Not many actors could pull that off without that speech/dialogue seeming cheesy and overdone. But he does.

Indeed, Oldman does make that. It's a pure dose of heroism, nobility, and respect in that last scene, two great heroes of the city, each respecting the other, both living for a purpose greater than themself. I like that in Nolan's films, Batman and Gordon are more like partners. In the 90's films, Gordon was like "^^^^ it, I can't stop this, Batman come bail my ass out," where in Nolan's films, it's like "ok Batman, what are WE going to do about this?" He doesn't look to Batman to take care of it all, only to handle things from the avenues Batman can being outside the law.

I take it you haven't seen the movie.

No, he clearly does not die. He just gets arrested again after his final showdown with Batman.

And for a non-death closure to a main villain's plot in a film, it was definitely well done.

From the moment he pins Batman down "and here we go" to the last insane laugh before the cops show up to bring him in, it's just coolness. I love the combination of music and everything at the peak of it all, "you know how I got these scars?" "no, but i know how you got these!" and then flipping him over and the insane laugh as he heads straight for the ground, just awesome.

Yeah, re-release or not it ain't making another $83 million.

Not with DVDs and Blu-Rays around. Another thing to highly consider, the occurance of time when these films were released. Because of that...IMO, nothing will ever beat 'The Boat'.

TITANIC will be beat someday. No doubt about it. But it will be a while. At some point movie tickets will be around $20 each. Then, it will fall. All of these recent blockbusters are inflated due to ticket prices anyway.

But the reason it still stands is because it was a unique phenomenon in this day and aged. TITANIC averaged about $30 million a week for almost half a year. That is insane and something we will not see again (until said ticket prices are high enough).

You have to admire what TDK's accomplished though. TDK has a much more focused audience than Titanic; a large factor in titanic was that even 90 year old married couples could go and enjoy that film, it had a range of boys and girls from 12-100, that's money making success all over it. TDK is going to favor more heavily with guys, and probably more so in the 15-35 age bracket, yet is doing phenominal numbers even with that. I think it says a lot that it's even as close to Titanic as it is.

Actually, I think TITANIC had a very focused core audience. It was females aged 14-30 that saw it half a dozen times (or more) that earned it its longevity and overall B.O. success. And they did so in droves even larger than TDK's core male audience.

And for a non-death closure to a main villain's plot in a film, it was definitely well done.

From the moment he pins Batman down "and here we go" to the last insane laugh before the cops show up to bring him in, it's just coolness. I love the combination of music and everything at the peak of it all, "you know how I got these scars?" "no, but i know how you got these!" and then flipping him over and the insane laugh as he heads straight for the ground, just awesome.

Then right after Batman pulls Joker up from the fall and he gives Batman his lesson in madness and gravity, Joker bellows an absolutely evil, guttural laugh. I was blown away at Heath's performance there. He got the laugh just right, and I liked it more than Hamill's version.

TITANIC will be beat someday. No doubt about it. But it will be a while. At some point movie tickets will be around $20 each. Then, it will fall. All of these recent blockbusters are inflated due to ticket prices anyway.

Whos going to pay $20 for a movie ticket AND see that movie multiple times? No one... in their right mind.

It's a huge accomplishment for the film to make $400 million, let alone $500+ million and becoming the most popular film of the decade thus far, selling upwards of 74 million tickets by the end of its run. Within the next 5-10 years, we could see a movie take out Titanic, but it would mostly be due to ticket inflation. Dark Knight had a gargantuan opening and a great run in theaters with modest to small drops on a week-by-week basis. If Dark Knight can't do it right now, with its run, then it's nearly impossible. Titanic was a freak. It was #1 for 15 straight weeks and 10 of those weeks saw weekend grosses north of $20 million. The movie was an unstoppable juggernaut. Even though Dark Knight came the closest at the box office, it's still about 50 million tickets away from Titanic, which sold 123 million tickets during its lone theatrical run. It's amazing that such a dark brooding long film like Titanic as been as successful as it has.

Back