Playstation 3 Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys (and girls), first time i ventured into this thread but needed some advice and hoping someone might be to help me out. I just changed my ps3's hard drive for a much, much bigger one. All seemed fine. Awesome. However, all of a sudden, when i turn my ps3 on it says "could not start, correct hard drive was not found". I switched it off and back on and its fine. But now it takes two attempts to switch it on, first getting that message, then having to try again and it comes on.

Has anyone experienced this or know what it could be or how to remedy it?
Thanks in advance.

This happens to mine quite often. A quick restart resolves the issue for me.

Hmm weird. Try this...

1. turn off system completely (this means the switch on the back)
2. hold touch sensitive reset button down till you hear 3 beeps, than let go.
3. hold down touch sensitive reset button until you hear 2 beeps and a double beep.
4. follow on screen directions, choose what option you want (i pick 3, it
seems to work the best)
5. follow on screen directions

Then immediately format your harddrive. It may work, but I'm not sure.

Also you can try taking it out and putting it back in again.

Thanks dude, i'll give that a whirl and see if it works. Does that reformat the hard drive then?

This happens to mine quite often. A quick restart resolves the issue for me.

Yeah, if i switch it off and start again it usually comes on the second time but that creates a problem when using playtv. If i have a recording set, it wont come on automatically and therefore it misses the recording.

I am considering these 'Ear Force PX21 Gaming Headset for Playstation 3' for my ps3. Anyone else have em?

Just got my PS3 back from the repair shop. 3rd YLOD for me.
:slap:gah::thud::horror

LOL maybe send it to a different shop. I own 3 PS3s, one original 60gb and two slims. None have had any problems.

Argh. My 40gb fat ps3 died a few days ago due to the blinking red light death.

Took it to the repair shop and was told I would be better off buying a new one since there was an 80% repair failure rate.

What to do guys? Should I attempt a repair? It's about $150 and the shop is only willing to give a 1 month guarantee. The guy seemed certain that the problem will come back even after repair.

By the way they say they are willing to pay me $40 for my ps3 if I trade it in for a new set.

What to do guys? Should I attempt a repair? It's about $150 and the shop is only willing to give a 1 month guarantee. The guy seemed certain that the problem will come back even after repair.

For $150, you might as well call Sony. They'll exchange it with a refurbished system and give you a 90 warranty. Still a lot of money, and very frustrating, but a better choice than spending the same amount at some repair shop and getting a 1 month warranty.

Man, that is terrible. I cannot believe how many systems (xbox and ps3) have been crashing on people. Have we heard this happen much with wii? I had a wii for a while (not my thing) and worked fine. And my ps2 was wonderful. I'm worried though, about my ps3. I feel like it should just sit there and look pretty. I paid a lot for it since it was the 320 gig with move.

I bought the headset I mentioned above. So I will be able to go live with friends in about a week. Woohoo.

Im also a bit surprised that my ps3 went kapoot so early because I've only had it for 2.5 years (bought it in June 2008 when GTAIV came out) and I'm not a hardcore gamer. In fact I was quite paranoid about overusing my ps3; I have never even used the bluray function cuz i was afraid to wear it out. Doesn't seem like it helped me much lol. Still got the red light death.

Hmm. Should I send it to Sony? The 3rd party repair man seems adamant that this particular model of mine (with a particular serial code) is bound to fail even after repair. Big dilemma. If i send it to Sony and the thing breaks down again in 6 months then i would be better off having channeled that $150 towards a new slim ps3.

Why so much drama Sony? I thought u were making back the hardware costs through game sales? Or maybe the new gen console marketing strategy is to make consoles with 50% less durability so consumers must buy at least two consoles during it's lifetime?

Man, that is terrible. I cannot believe how many systems (xbox and ps3) have been crashing on people. Have we heard this happen much with wii? I had a wii for a while (not my thing) and worked fine. And my ps2 was wonderful. I'm worried though, about my ps3. I feel like it should just sit there and look pretty. I paid a lot for it since it was the 320 gig with move.

I bought the headset I mentioned above. So I will be able to go live with friends in about a week. Woohoo.

No Wii just crashed peoples TVs:lol

Really I have 2 360 no issues, and PS3 no issues.

No Wii just crashed peoples TVs:lol

Really I have 2 360 no issues, and PS3 no issues.

Same here. I had a Wii die on me, but Nintendo sent me a replacement in a box and asked me to send them my old one in the box the replacement came in.

I've had 2 360s die on me, but the latest one seems to be a winner. Does anyone know what the current failure rate % is on the PS3?? Seems like a lot of the original PS3s are crapping out lately.

Argh. My 40gb fat ps3 died a few days ago due to the blinking red light death.

Took it to the repair shop and was told I would be better off buying a new one since there was an 80% repair failure rate.

By the way they say they are willing to pay me $40 for my ps3 if I trade it in for a new set.

Dude, I fixed it myself I think about 2 weeks ago. Its sooo easy. My friend fixed his and told me about it. Dont buy a new one. At least consider doing it yourself.

step 1: how to open a ps3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILtruYvt7S4

step 2 How to replace a Power supply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKmg7e7ufJM

step 3: buy power supply at ebay
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300467709411&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

so for $18 plus $10 shipping, you can easily fix it.
At least look at the vids and see how easy it is.
I'm not an electronics person myself and my friend was gonna fix it
but after seeing the vids, I'm like screw that, I'll do it myself and it worked. I was sooo pumped I replaced my HD also last weekend
to 320g :)

Last edited:
Dude, I fixed it myself I think about 2 weeks ago. Its sooo easy. My friend fixed his and told me about it. Dont buy a new one. At least consider doing it yourself.

step 1: how to open a ps3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILtruYvt7S4

step 2 How to replace a Power supply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKmg7e7ufJM

step 3: buy power supply at ebay
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300467709411&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

so for $18 plus $10 shipping, you can easily fix it.
At least look at the vids and see how easy it is.
I'm not an electronics person myself and my friend was gonna fix it
but after seeing the vids, I'm like screw that, I'll do it myself and it worked. I was sooo pumped I replaced my HD also last weekend
to 320g :)

Thanks for the link but unfortunately my ps3 is suffering from red light death. Were u having that problem too?

Same here. I had a Wii die on me, but Nintendo sent me a replacement in a box and asked me to send them my old one in the box the replacement came in.

I've had 2 360s die on me, but the latest one seems to be a winner. Does anyone know what the current failure rate % is on the PS3?? Seems like a lot of the original PS3s are crapping out lately.

Internet stats suggest a 10% failure rate for the fat ps3s.

But the repair guy was telling me it is far greater a figure. Almost every fat ps3 will konk out within 2 to 3 years due to the overheating problem.

The only difference is that some particular models of the fat version can be repaired with no future problems while some others have an 80% repair failure rate with overheating problems coming back even after repair.

I was told the HH and HG models (last two figures of the serial number) are the most problematic. The problem is due to the different motherboard Sony uses and these two models apparently use a different and more problematic motherboard.

It is unclear whether the slims have any problems but so far the repair shop hasn't received any faulty slims for repair.

Internet stats suggest a 10% failure rate for the fat ps3s.

But the repair guy was telling me it is far greater a figure. Almost every fat ps3 will konk out within 2 to 3 years due to the overheating problem.

The only difference is that some particular models of the fat version can be repaired with no future problems while some others have an 80% repair failure rate with overheating problems coming back even after repair.

I was told the HH and HG models (last two figures of the serial number) are the most problematic. The problem is due to the different motherboard Sony uses and these two models apparently use a different and more problematic motherboard.

It is unclear whether the slims have any problems but so far the repair shop hasn't received any faulty slims for repair.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was higher than 10%. My fat 60GB is still kicking today, and I bought it in Sept. of '07 right after they announced they were no longer featuring BC on new models. It's a trooper, but the fans are getting out of control and are extremely loud. I know I want to get a new slim PS3, but I would like to keep this one for Blu Ray duties in the bedroom and playing PS2 games. :dunno

Thanks for the link but unfortunately my ps3 is suffering from red light death. Were u having that problem too?

If Red light of death is when the PS3 would just keep blinking red, then yes.
It wouldnt come on, and after turning it on and off at the back, I heard a popping noise and it finally wouldnt even turn on at all.

It happened to my friend and he's the one who told me that the fat ps3 were prone to have power supply problem. It happened to his and he fixed it and that was it. He told me it was sooo easy to fix and that he was even willing to fix mine for free. But after looking it up on how to do it, I said Heck, I can do this, lol.
After doing some research about it, I found out that that was truly what was wrong with most ps3 problems. There was even a site where the guys were in a van and fixing customer's ps3 and encouraging people to just fix that instead of buying a new ps3 or sending it for repairs.

Besides, if it doesnt fix it, its better than buying a new ps3 right? Again, its not like its hard to fix it. For $29 shipped powersupply, its worth the risk in my opinion unless your ps3 still has warranty.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if it was higher than 10%. My fat 60GB is still kicking today, and I bought it in Sept. of '07 right after they announced they were no longer featuring BC on new models. It's a trooper, but the fans are getting out of control and are extremely loud. I know I want to get a new slim PS3, but I would like to keep this one for Blu Ray duties in the bedroom and playing PS2 games. :dunno

Why not crack it open an replace the fans, it probably just bad bearing in the fans.

Insome cases its the powersupply that needs replacing as Remy said and has showed you how to do. I got same problem but mine seemed to be from dry solder joint under the two main chips on the motherboard. I bought the 60gig 2 weeks from when they released and had it go on me last summer, which is a long time. If you type in Gliksy YLOD fix in youtube you will get his guide which I used to fix mine. Either method you can fix it yourself.

So a buddy of mine gave me a USB flashdrive with a few movies on it, they are AVI format from what he said however they were downloaded from torrent sites I'm sure, will my PS3 still play them as I heard somewhere the PS3 has some kind of software that prevent you from playing pirated movies.

Back