Playstation 3 Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had the occasional problem exiting games before. In my case the screen fades to black like it's going to quit as normal but stays black for about 10 seconds, beeps 3 times and finally restarts.

If that is what yours is doing I wouldn't worry too much, it seems to be a fairly common issue.

Yep, that's what it's doing. Okay, I will try not to worry then. Thank you!!!

It seems like Sony and consequently the PS3 may be well and truly screwed now that it's encryption keys have been leaked.

For those who don't understand the implications of this, now that these keys are publicly available any piece of code whether it be official software or a homebrew app can be run without the need to modify the console in any way.
It will also be extremely difficult or even impossible for Sony to detect and ban anyone doing this and equally as difficult to patch the system to "close the hole".

Obviously piracy will now be a major problem as it is now possible to just burn a signed iso of a game and have it play just like an original disc.

The other problem, and my own personal biggest concern is the inevitable flood of dirty cheating bastards on the online titles.
It makes me very sad to think that playstation's online games could end up similar to the likes of Mario Kart Wii, a game that I used to enjoy playing but gave up on after every race had some twunt with infinite blue shells ruining it for everyone else. :mad:

Just when the PS3 finally looked like it was hitting its stride something like this happens, I really hope that the selfish actions of a few cheating, stealing scumbags won't ruin what was looking like an amazing year for PS3 gamers. :pray:

So home consoles have essentially become home PCs that play games. Crap.

Stupid question.

I have a PS3 and I want to download the ME2 demo. The demo is huge and any download on the PS3 is SLLOOOOOWWWWWW.

Do I really have to leave the system running to download the demo or can I put it to sleep somehow?

Stupid question.

I have a PS3 and I want to download the ME2 demo. The demo is huge and any download on the PS3 is SLLOOOOOWWWWWW.

Do I really have to leave the system running to download the demo or can I put it to sleep somehow?

Unfortunately you have to leave it switched on while downloading. :slap

If you want to leave it unattended (while you go to work/school for example) but don't want it to be on all day, you can go into "System Settings", "Power Save Settings" and "System Auto-Off" and set the PS3 to Shut down after a few hours.

Normally running pirated games takes a bit of effort whether it be software or hardware mods and that puts most people off. If I understand it correctly the encryption keys mean that pirated games will just work without any need to do anything other than download an ISO and burn it. That's what worries me, when things like this are made that easy far more people might be tempted to do it, and piracy on a large scale if a very bad thing for developers and gamers alike.

As for cheating there's a BIG difference in the sort of cheating that occurs atm such as using exploits within games and the cheats that are possible with homebrew. Think Call of Duty multiplayer with god mode and infinite ammo...

I hope your right and that it's nothing to worry about, but I've never seen a console be this badly compromised ever before.

I know its old news now, but think PS1...you could rip and burn games like nothing. Anyone could do it and a friend and I even had a chinese supplier and at that time I had so many games I didnt know what to do with them. I would just give them away sometimes sell them if it was a wanted title. Its funny cause after I went thru that phase, I never did it again and now I hate that kind of stuff. I was young and probably just thought I was getting one over on the "man". Regardless, I dont think its going to change much.

The only thing its going to do is raise prices of games even more if it got out of hand, but im sure PS3 would release some kind of update that would some how figure out who is hacking and playing on burned games. Im pretty sure they wouldnt let it go that easy.

Tell me about it Shropt...I hate downloading stuff with the PS3. It takes forever to do anything even its own updates are a horrible wait.

I know its old news now, but think PS1...you could rip and burn games like nothing. Anyone could do it and a friend and I even had a chinese supplier and at that time I had so many games I didnt know what to do with them. I would just give them away sometimes sell them if it was a wanted title. Its funny cause after I went thru that phase, I never did it again and now I hate that kind of stuff. I was young and probably just thought I was getting one over on the "man". Regardless, I dont think its going to change much.

The only thing its going to do is raise prices of games even more if it got out of hand, but im sure PS3 would release some kind of update that would some how figure out who is hacking and playing on burned games. Im pretty sure they wouldnt let it go that easy.

Tell me about it Shropt...I hate downloading stuff with the PS3. It takes forever to do anything even its own updates are a horrible wait.

I stand corrected, your right the PS1 could play backups by simply doing a disc swap.

I guess time will tell what affect this will have on Sony and the PS3, In the mean time I'm just going to enjoy the amazing line up of games coming out this year.

I've heard lots of people complaining about downloads on the PS3 being slow but for me it's always fairly quick. Normally I get about 800 kBps but even at its slowest I still get around 500 kBps, and that's on my relatively slow 8Mbps line.

I'm so Happy. My 60g Ps3 went out xmas day. I bought an $18 power supply on ebay. Came in last night, I replaced it and its working again! I love my ps3 :)

Question, what was wrong with your power supply?

When I try to turn on my PS3, it powers up, then automatically shuts itself off, with the red LED light blinking continuously. I have to shut off the PS3 manually via the power button on the back so the red LED stops flickering. I assume it's a power supply problem?

Sounds like your power supply is about to go out.
That's exactly what mine was doing until I hear a POP and then it woulndt come on anymore.

Its actually pretty easy to replace. I read that this is one of the bigger problems with the fat PS3, the power supply would go bad. But unlike the 360, its an easy fix. Got my power supply for $18 plus $10 shipping on ebay. Went to youtube on how to open ps3. Then did a search on how to replace power supply. Its really easy.
I did a search before I did this and found out that the power supply is the main culprit of a lot of bad ps3.

Anyone know how to change your little avatar person once you've signed into the psn? I have Ratchet and I may want to change him. I figured out how to change the color and the text. That's it.

Hey everyone, I have a question about my system. My ps3 seems to shut itself off and come back on at certain points when i'm playing a game. It is mainly when I am playing black ops when this happens. It usually stops when a map is loading and makes some weird beep noise and restarts itself after a short while of being frozen. Any idea what might be causing this? Thank you -Darko-

Also BuffyGirl I believe you have to go into your account settings to change the avatar.

I must not be looking hard enough. I'm finding lots of things I can change, but still not that.

Go to Manage accnt/or just accnt - and the option to change the avatar will be there...kind of a weird spot....

Hey everyone, I have a question about my system. My ps3 seems to shut itself off and come back on at certain points when i'm playing a game. It is mainly when I am playing black ops when this happens. It usually stops when a map is loading and makes some weird beep noise and restarts itself after a short while of being frozen. Any idea what might be causing this? Thank you -Darko-

Also BuffyGirl I believe you have to go into your account settings to change the avatar.

Is it always just that one game. I am sure you've done this, but check the game disk for scratches or anything on the bottom. If it happened with others, Id say it a laser reading issue, but hopefully just the one disk

Yep changing the avatar is on "Account Management".

By any chance Darko would you happen to have the "fat" PS3 because that sounds like what happened to my PS3 before it died on me which I had fixed. Hopefully I am wrong on this but that seems like the 1st steps on getting the "Yellow Light Of Death". Good luck bud!

Edit:
200th post!!!

Yeah, a friend of mine had similar issues as Darko99...a particular baseball game gave his sporadic issues, but eventually crapped out...

I have noticed that those who leave their PS3 is standby mode when its 'off' - meaning the red light is always one - seem to have issues. I flip the switch off in the back. Not sure if there really is something to it - but doesnt hurt. I have the MSG4 bundle 'Fat' version - 2 1/2 years old now and going strong......the day it dies is the day I cry

Yeah, a friend of mine had similar issues as Darko99...a particular baseball game gave his sporadic issues, but eventually crapped out...

I have noticed that those who leave their PS3 is standby mode when its 'off' - meaning the red light is always one - seem to have issues. I flip the switch off in the back. Not sure if there really is something to it - but doesnt hurt. I have the MSG4 bundle 'Fat' version - 2 1/2 years old now and going strong......the day it dies is the day I cry

I'm sorry to say that, that may be an inevitability.
But the good news is, when your "fat" PS3 does indeed die it can be fixed. That's why I have 2 PS3s now, cause I panicked when my original one died on me. :lol

I have the MSG4 bundle 'Fat' version - 2 1/2 years old now and going strong......the day it dies is the day I cry

I still have my Launch day PS3 from March 21, 2007 and touch wood, I've had no issues whatsoever so far.

I've probably cursed it saying that now.... :slap

Meanwhile my 3rd Xbox 360 has died with the dreaded RROD... Screw you Microsoft! :mad:

Yep changing the avatar is on "Account Management".

By any chance Darko would you happen to have the "fat" PS3 because that sounds like what happened to my PS3 before it died on me which I had fixed. Hopefully I am wrong on this but that seems like the 1st steps on getting the "Yellow Light Of Death". Good luck bud!

Edit:
200th post!!!

Where'd you get it fixed?? I'm afraid mine is close to knocking on death's door. Just curious if it would be cheaper to fix it or just buy a slim.

Back