Playstation 4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got Ratchet and Clank on Thursday. I never finished the first game. I got the collection for PS3 and never got beyond the planet Gaspar. I started playing the PS4 game yesterday and I'm already past that. Loving it.

ive been debating on selling my ps4 because i just dont use it anymore. i think i was just in the hype of it and felt i needed one but i was never even remotely considering an xbone. if i do use it its to play blurays from redbox. i have a bunch of great games for it too, i just cant be bothered with loading them. im at my pc most of the time and i have a blue ps4 controller connected to it via blue tooth, if i wanted to play a game faster/better looking , without loading a disk, and without getting out of my chair i can just use my pc. the only reason to keep the ps4 is to play exclusives. i just dont want to sell it off and have remorse down the road, plus i need something to put into my tv stand until i get a dedicated mini pc.

The exclusives are pretty good, but also at least for me, most of my friends would be on PS4 so if I want to play games with them then that's where I'd have to get the game.

Have any of you tried the Playstation Vue Internet TV service? I just finished up the 7 day trial.. Works great for me. I have it running on a ps3, ps4 and Amazon Firestick. 100 channels for $45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I absolutely love PV!

I'm in NY and I have the base package for $40/month.

I've had it for 3 months now.

Wife and I were soooo happy when we were able to finally cut our cable company with their dumb equipment rental and fees.

They even lied by telling me that the PV was a disaster and to not switch to them.

Yeah man.. It just released nationally so I finally had a chance to try it out. I was paying $100 a month just in equipment and fees. This is the first option for cutting cable that didn't feel like too much of a sacrifice. Picture quality is good. Sometimes the menu lags for a second but it's not bad at all. I rarely order pay per view but from what I can tell that's the only thing that I might miss one day.

Yeah man.. It just released nationally so I finally had a chance to try it out. I was paying $100 a month just in equipment and fees. This is the first option for cutting cable that didn't feel like too much of a sacrifice. Picture quality is good. Sometimes the menu lags for a second but it's not bad at all. I rarely order pay per view but from what I can tell that's the only thing that I might miss one day.

The functionality is actually better than what my cable box could do.

Sure you can't change channels in a traditional up and down manner but so what, the method they use works just as well, just took a few days to get used to it that's all.

Not only was it not a sacrifice for me but I actually got Nick Junior and Disney Channel for my son that I did not have with my cable package, and for less money!

The nationwide rollout actually came with a new basic package I believe for only $30 or $35.00 a month, I wish I had access to that one.

Nonetheless we are extremely happy with it!

Now we as consumers just need better competition with Internet delivery and thankfully the FCC is working on that but it's going to take a few more years.

Now I just need my PlayStation and i'm all set lol.

Earlier this year, rumors began to fly that Sony would release an upgraded version of the PlayStation 4, a console often called the PS4.5 or the PS4K by fans and press. Today, multiple sources have confirmed for us details of the project, which is internally referred to as the NEO. No price was provided, but previous reports indicate that the NEO would sell at $399. At time of publishing, Sony has not returned our request for comment, but we will update this story if the company responds.

The NEO will feature a higher clock speed than the original PS4, an improved GPU, and higher bandwidth on the memory. The documents we've received note that the HDD in the NEO is the same as that in the original PlayStation 4, but it's not clear if that means in terms of capacity or connection speed. Starting in October, every PS4 game is required to ship with both a “Base Mode” which will run on the currently available PS4 and a “NEO Mode” for use on the new console.

Original PS4NEO
CPU8 Jaguar Cores at 1.6 GHz8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1 GHz
GPUAMD GCN, 18 CUs at 800 MHzImproved AMD GCN, 36 CUs at 911 MHz
Memory8 GB GDDR5, 176 GB/s8 GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s

Games running in NEO mode will be able to use the hardware upgrades (and an additional 512 MiB in the memory budget) to offer increased and more stable frame rate and higher visual fidelity, at least when those games run at 1080p on HDTVs. The NEO will also support 4K image output, but games themselves are not required to be 4K native.

In the documents we’ve received, Sony offers suggestions for reaching 4K/UltraHD resolutions for NEO mode game builds, but they're also giving developers a degree of freedom with how to approach this. 4K TV owners should expect the NEO to upscale games to fit the format, but one place Sony is unwilling to bend is on frame rate. Throughout the documents, Sony repeatedly reminds developers that the frame rate of games in NEO Mode must meet or exceed the frame rate of the game on the original PS4 system.

Sadly, I doubt that the NEO will be anywhere near as cute as this.The NEO will not supplant the current PS4, but will exist alongside of it and use the same user environment. The PS4 and NEO will use the same PSN store, connect to the same online communities, and offer the same user experience, so expect to see the same cross media bar that you’re used to. Players will be able to retain all of the purchases they made on the PS4.

Sony seems committed to keeping the NEO and the original PS4 player bases connected. As such, there will be no NEO-only games, and Sony will not let developers separate NEO users from original PS4 players while playing on PSN. Likewise, Sony explicitly and repeatedly states that developers cannot offer exclusive gameplay options or special unlockables for NEO players—so don’t expect NEO owners to get a level editor or a special Rocket League car that you won’t have access to on your original PS4.

That said, so long as both systems have the same feature, the NEO can run an improved version. A local co-op game that features four players on the base PS4 could offer an eight player co-op mode on the NEO, for instance. But again, don't expect those differences to transfer to online modes.

PS4 Base and NEO versions of a game will also need to have parity with regard to peripheral support. So don’t expect NEO Games to have exclusive VR modes. Sony makes no mention of PlayStation VR in the docs we've seen, so it's hard to know what that means for the persistent rumors that this upgraded PS4 will be able to support PSVR without the "breakout box" that the headset ships with. That said, so long as the NEO's upgrades apply to PSVR games, developers should be able to get even more performance out of Sony's VR headset.

Fallout 4 is one game of many that could benefit from the NEO... if Bethesda is willing to put in the work.Though every PS4 game released as of October of this year will need to support both the original PS4 and the NEO, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the Neo will release in October. Additionally, games released in the late September window will require a day one patch that updates them to NEO standards. The documents we’ve received explicitly note that devs are allowed to launch NEO-ready games before the NEO itself releases.

Games released previous to the NEO can take advantage of this hardware upgrade, but only if developers decide to patch their titles. That isn’t too surprising: This was never going to be a magical “upgrade” device. I'm curious to see if any developers will take advantage of the NEO to improve previous PS4 releases. (I would certainly appreciate it if Bethesda would give the NEO-treatment to Fallout 4).

All of this is pretty well in line with early reports and rumors. A recent Digital Foundry report outlined the likely limits of an upgraded PS4, and the info we've received from sources seems in line with those findings.

I'm happy that Sony will take steps to keep the PS4 and NEO users connected, and that they are setting strict guidelines for developers. There's a chance that will help to keep the user base unified despite new hardware entering the market. This could be a hard sell to those users who only recently purchased a PS4 if there isn't an upgrade path made available to them. At the same time, this could pave the way to drop the original PS4 price even further, offering cheaper access to a really solid console. In any case, I'm hopeful that Sony can make this work. Expect more details to emerge over the coming weeks.

Dont see the point to be honest. I dont have a 4k TV yet but even then, the games will look fine.

Being brutally honest there are no games that interest me this year on the PS4. I bought Division and RE Zero HD. Thats me done for this year.

Ive been playing my PS3 alot more as I can play my psone classics and PS3 games.

To be brutally honest this generation has been utter ****e. Arkham Knight was very disappointing, Evil Within and Drive Club were poor, Lego Batman 3 was rubbish, Battlefront was a kick in the nuts, MGSV was awful and GTAV was far too short aswell.

Uncharted 3 bored me and I really dont fancy Uncharted 4, Hitman is in episodes so I refuse to buy it, Arkham Collection doesnt have Origins which was my favourite Arkham title.

Im just sat praying RE2 remake is like RE0/REmake. If its not ill sell my PS4 and stick to PS3.

Im just sat praying RE2 remake is like RE0/REmake. If its not ill sell my PS4 and stick to PS3.

I wouldn't worry too much. It may not play like that since they may end up giving us over the shoulder, but it will at least have the atmosphere of REmake and Zero.

If somehow they could give us both options, that would be neat. The atmosphere alone would make the game very worthwhile.

Pre-rendered backgrounds is the way to go and it's the only way to make it look as realistic and pretty as REmake. Even for a 2002 game, they still hold up.

Pre-rendered backgrounds is the way to go and it's the only way to make it look as realistic and pretty as REmake. Even for a 2002 game, they still hold up.
I've seen people boot up RE0 and REmake for the first time before the HD Remasters, and they were blown away. Then the Remasters came out, and we were all blown away again. It's amazing how Capcom was able to revitalize the beauty of both games. I would love to see them go further with RE2make.

Dont see the point to be honest. I dont have a 4k TV yet but even then, the games will look fine.

Being brutally honest there are no games that interest me this year on the PS4. I bought Division and RE Zero HD. Thats me done for this year.

Ive been playing my PS3 alot more as I can play my psone classics and PS3 games.

To be brutally honest this generation has been utter ****e. Arkham Knight was very disappointing, Evil Within and Drive Club were poor, Lego Batman 3 was rubbish, Battlefront was a kick in the nuts, MGSV was awful and GTAV was far too short aswell.

Uncharted 3 bored me and I really dont fancy Uncharted 4, Hitman is in episodes so I refuse to buy it, Arkham Collection doesnt have Origins which was my favourite Arkham title.

with the upgraded specs i still don't see it running Games at 4K ... more stable frame rate maybe? and maybe finally 1080p and 60fps is a thing

I've seen people boot up RE0 and REmake for the first time before the HD Remasters, and they were blown away. Then the Remasters came out, and we were all blown away again. It's amazing how Capcom was able to revitalize the beauty of both games. I would love to see them go further with RE2make.

I'm sure they could make the backgrounds look extraordinary with current tech. The good thing with pre-rendered backgrounds, is that they can dump so much more resources into the character models since they're standing on pictures and it doesn't really require much resources aside from the invisible geometry of the current area.

I'm sure they could make the backgrounds look extraordinary with current tech. The good thing with pre-rendered backgrounds, is that they can dump so much more resources into the character models since they're standing on pictures and it doesn't really require much resources aside from the invisible geometry of the current area.
That's a good point, they only need to add in other things like maybe some moving objects in the background and other little details. They can certainly do a lot with this.

I still hope Rockstar does an HD remake and a PC release of Red Dead Redemption. That game holds up amazingly well for being what? 6 years old?

I still hope Rockstar does an HD remake and a PC release of Red Dead Redemption. That game holds up amazingly well for being what? 6 years old?

Very unlikely, I'm 90% sure we'll see the next Red Dead game announced this year, and it's sure to look amazing. Rockstar is really good at optimizing their games.

I'm looking for ward to the PS4K, I'm always up for improving graphics quality, but I also got a 4k TV so if it plays UHD blu-ray then that would be great as well, since the only player currently is a crappy one that costs $400

Back