Post Your Predator / Alien Collection /_\ .'.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Castings are always slightly smaller than the original piece the mold was made from - and less detailed.

The amount varies depending on the molding/casting techniques used.

I can see slightly less detail if done poorly, but no reason they should not be the same size or very slightly off. I never saw anywhere where it was confirmed the DX was a recast, just speculation.

Casting always makes something smaller. Have a prototype 1/4th? Hope it's bigger then 1/4th case the cast will be smaller :p The material is denser as a solid as opposed to a liquid, just how it works. Same problem with detail, generally it's not quite as much but it's yes you lose some size and detail when something is cast. Think of it as VHS copying, it always gets worse :p

Casting always makes something smaller. Have a prototype 1/4th? Hope it's bigger then 1/4th case the cast will be smaller :p The material is denser as a solid as opposed to a liquid, just how it works. Same problem with detail, generally it's not quite as much but it's yes you lose some size and detail when something is cast. Think of it as VHS copying, it always gets worse :p
I am just thinking the mold is made from the original, where does the size get lost. The made mold should be an exact reverse copy of the original, then the new one is made from that. I don't make them so I don't have first hand experience, but just can't wrap my mind around that. VHS copying was more due to the low quality units than the medium, pro decks were pretty much exact copies as I recall, but those were just being phased out when I got into A/V

I am just thinking the mold is made from the original, where does the size get lost. The made mold should be an exact reverse copy of the original, then the new one is made from that. I don't make them so I don't have first hand experience, but just can't wrap my mind around that. VHS copying was more due to the low quality units than the medium, pro decks were pretty much exact copies as I recall, but those were just being phased out when I got into A/V

I understand your confusion - I found it hard to believe as well. But I know literally dozens of people who cast, and those I've asked about this all said the same thing (per my earlier post) - size reduces and quality decreases.

It is an exact copy, and it's the exact same size when the liquid is poured in.

Then it solidifies and the solid form is denser then the liquid form which results in some shrinkage. You can do some things to reduce shrinkage but you'll still have a bit.

Finally went through this entire thread. My word guys, great stuff. That 1:3 dog blows my mind.

I think it's time for me to contribute some pics of my collection:

Finally went through this entire thread. My word guys, great stuff. That 1:3 dog blows my mind.

I think it's time for me to contribute some pics of my collection:

My friend, your collection is my wet dream! I had to be blunt like that! It's perfect!!! Such a beautiful and organised display. What on earth do you do for a living man?

.'. /_\ RP /_\ .'.

hopefully the day comes where I can display my whole collection, I would want it to look like that.

Ha, thanks all. The dusting is a major pain if I don't keep up with it. I just don't have enough room to keep every piece in a display case.

@Collectorcol - I know. I'm hunting for a Sideshow 1:1 P1 bust, just haven't found a good deal yet. In time.

My temporary alien pred display :) scored an AP on the giger alien bust
PhotoGrid_1426612239952.jpg

Back