QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lens distortion is a monster, and I will reserve judgement until Sulu is in-hand, but if that middle one turns out to be like the one we receive, different from QMx production photos, I personally will be very disappointed.

Middle one from FB has a lot of distortion, and they're at slightly different angles, but. . .

Screenshot 2019-04-27 at 20.17.39.jpg

Neither look that close to Sulu for my taste, but the QMx production pictures were closer, IMO.

Let's see what we get.

I’m getting a little Joker vibe from the shape of the mouth in the middle photo.

Last edited:
Lens distortion is a monster, and I will reserve judgement until Sulu is in-hand, but if that middle one turns out to be like the one we receive, different from QMx production photos, I personally will be very disappointed.

Middle one from FB has a lot of distortion, and they're at slightly different angles, but. . .

View attachment 451806

Neither look that close to Sulu for my taste, but the QMx production pictures were closer, IMO.

Let's see what we get.

In these shot, the Lips are clearly different
Wondered why they would change the head
at this point?

Hmmm...seeing the new and old head side by side, the old is a little better. But still, other than Kirk and Spock, he's my favorite Original trek character so he's good enough for me.

After Hot Toys, there are a lot of good to decent figures in the market but Nanjin's obvious love of this franchise makes these feel like less of a risk and more fun in many ways to take chances on. I trust Nanjin. I initially wasn't going to go out of my way to get Khan or Bones then when I saw Scotty and Sulu both go forward, I felt renewed affection for the line and went ahead and got Khan and ordered Bones. I plan to(as much as I can) go all in as I think it will be a very long time before another company tries to do trek like this again.

I feel like a smart guy for getting Kirk and Spock before they sold out and I too think its wise to get as many characters as possible. I have Picard and I know many passed in him but when suddenly we have an out if nowhere one two three punch if Laforge, Riker, and Data or something he'll be gone so if I were anybody on the fence I'd buy him too now.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Hmmm...seeing the new and old head side by side, the old is a little better. But still, other than Kirk and Spock, he's my favorite Original trek character so he's good enough for me.

After Hot Toys, there are a lot of good to decent figures in the market but Nanjin's obvious love of this franchise makes these feel like less of a risk and more fun in many ways to take chances on. I trust Nanjin. I initially wasn't going to go out of my way to get Khan or Bones then when I saw Scotty and Sulu both go forward, I felt renewed affection for the line and went ahead and got Khan and ordered Bones. I plan to(as much as I can) go all in as I think it will be a very long time before another company tries to do trek like this again.

I feel like a smart guy for getting Kirk and Spock before they sold out and I too think its wise to get as many characters as possible. I have Picard and I know many passed in him but when suddenly we have an out if nowhere one two three punch if Laforge, Riker, and Data or something he'll be gone so if I were anybody on the fence I'd buy him too now.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Yeah given that it's TOS I'm willing to cut them a little more slack as well, since we'll obviously never see these made by anyone else, and because my love for Trek pretty much eclipses everything else. And if it helps keep the line going so we can eventually get those TWOK and DS9 figures, then that's even more reason to put up with the occasional disappointing sculpt.

From Michael Crawfords review. Not liking this sculpt at all. Prototype was so much better. Wonder why the change.
0096594953316a35f9a404182b147f6a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I really liked the prototype...this is great too...if someone had showed me this picture 10 years ago when I had to settle for those 9 and 12 inch eyesores with the giant hands from Playmates and told me that one day I would have a 1/6 scale Sulu that looked like this on my shelf I would have lost my mind...in a good way.

Yeah it seems to look OK from straight on, but from any other angle the expression just looks weird and creepy to me. I'd still rank it above the cartoonish Scotty sculpt though, and at least his face isn't overly lumpy like Spock and McCoy.

Also glad to see they got the collar looking smaller again, and not like the turtleneck they gave Scotty for some reason.

Not as good as the prototype, but then production pieces seldom are. He'll probably look fine posed alongside the others, under regular lighting and not zoomed in.

Wrong, just wrong. What is with the dual triangular eyebrows? I know they go up a bit, but does not look natural. The lips and the curved up smile is just killing this for me. Just about every picture I could find of Sulu did not have a smile, and the two that did, had a broad smile, not curved upward.

Last edited:
Unfortunately for me I actively dislike the changes made to the sculpt. Just throws everything off to me and looks creepy weird, which I can't seem to get past, no matter how much I want to. Think I'll be sticking with a four man crew for now by the look of things.

If they ever make Chekov then I might be tempted to track one down for completion purposes, or if I ever see it for a bargain price, but right now this just dropped off my priority purchase list completely.

It's ironic that the only reason I ordered Scotty was because of how good the Sulu prototype was looking, and so I figured I might as well get the complete set. But now that they're both looking off, I'm wishing I had stuck with my original plan of only having Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Uhura. :slap

But oh well, I guess we just need to be good soldiers and support the line.

Back