RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never understood this. Fans have been vocal about this being the weakest part of TLW since 1997. It's not like the Legendary Godzilla movies are doing well enough to indicate that's changed.

I think there's potential to make a good dinosaurs on mainland movie however I don't have faith that they'll execute it with Dominion, especially with Pratt describing it as the Endgame of the franchise.

Bayona did some good stuff in the second part of FK, mainly with the horror aspects of the Indoraptor.

:exactly:

I think there's potential to make a good dinosaurs on mainland movie however I don't have faith that they'll execute it with Dominion, especially with Pratt describing it as the Endgame of the franchise.

I still enjoy EG, but that sounds awful for a Jurassic movie.

Is it the soundstage-y look of some of the night scenes? The "skies" and lighting feel artificial, but they give the movie a bit of retro charm IMO.

It might be that.. The whole film has that feel. I agree there is a but of retro charm to it but at the same time it kind of drives me crazy :lol

I didn't care for Fallen Kingdom the first time I saw it either but for some reason I still bought the 4K, lol. There was just something about it that was tempting me to give it another go and I'm glad I did. Yes it's by far the silliest of all JP films but I find that that fact, particularly with regard to the *second* hour (which I happen to like), give it a fun and goofy "USA Up All Night" (but with a massive budget) vibe that I find fun to watch.

Great to know I am not crazy.. I mean I really disliked the film the first time. I have had it on 4k since its release (I have to complete the collection) and really had no interest in re-watching it. Only reason I did is that I watched the others. Glad I did. Its silly but much better then I originally gave it credit for.

I agree about Julianne Moore and Vince Vaughn in The Lost World. But I hate them so much that I could never compartmentalize them away from the rest of the film and still give it a high score. They (and to a lesser extent the gymnastics bit) literally ruin the movie for me.

I pretty much just love the rest of the film. I figure those two are a necessary evil to move the story along. The Gymnastic scene is stupid and it use to be my go to memory when I would think of this film. Thus for a while I did not hold it in high regard. But in many ways this surpasses the original for me. Even though JP is the better movie.. I think TLW might be my fav of the series.

Hamond is kinda the bad guy also. He basically tricks Ian into going to the island and he is the one that tells Vince to cause the chaos.

Wait till we find out that the little girl in FK is the ultimate villain because she is the one that let all the Dinosaurs loose on the world. :lol

The biggest problem the Jurassic World films suffer from is that the studio has always wanted to make a dinosaurs on the mainland film. For that to happen they had to execute the park failure in JW and find a way to get the dinosaur's back to the mainland in FK.

They achieved this in 1.5 films and it's like they thought 'Oh ****! We've got the dinosaurs where we want them now but we can't make that film now as we're only halfway through this film. How do we fill the next hour of film before we can make that film?'

Bayona did some good stuff in the second part of FK, mainly with the horror aspects of the Indoraptor. Although it doesn't feel like a Jurassic film (IMO).

There's some lazy homages scattered throughout the mansion scenes too. The Brachiosaurus is the only one that works in the film.

I think you can only keep doing so many movies on an island. It might be time for a change of scenery.

I never understood this. Fans have been vocal about this being the weakest part of TLW since 1997. It's not like the Legendary Godzilla movies are doing well enough to indicate that's changed.

This is true about Godzilla films not being that huge.. Of course neither film was all that great.

Like I said before.. It just might be time to get the Dinosaurs off the island. Otherwise its another Dino in the jungle movie.

Make a good film and they will come.

Bad Boys - 2/10 - Man that movie was bad. I think I use to like it once upon a time but watching it last night, what a stinker. I did not laugh once. It was every cop cliche in the book and Micheal Bay's direction without as big of a buget is really obviously bad in this one.

Carlito's Way - 8/10 - Not sure what could be done to make it better but its not a perfect film but it is a great one.

When I can't think of what would make a film better I just go ahead and give it a 10.

Yeah.. But I dint love it like I do my other 10/10 films.. Its missing something. I cant think of what. Its a little long and I did find myself looking at the timer on the Blu ray player.. But I could not tell you when. Maybe its just because I am not a huge fan of downer endings :)

Anyways

HEAT 9/10 - Just a tad too long also.. If the relationship between De Niro and his girlfriend was more interesting it would easily hit the 10 out of 10 mark. Those scenes really make the film come to a screeching halt.

Yeah.. But I dint love it like I do my other 10/10 films.. Its missing something. I cant think of what. Its a little long and I did find myself looking at the timer on the Blu ray player.. But I could not tell you when. Maybe its just because I am not a huge fan of downer endings :)

Anyways

HEAT 9/10 - Just a tad too long also.. If the relationship between De Niro and his girlfriend was more interesting it would easily hit the 10 out of 10 mark. Those scenes really make the film come to a screeching halt.

Carlito's Way also had a similar romance subplot, IIRC. Maybe that was the problem.

Watched The Guns Of Navarone with the kids. Really solid war flick. So impressed that my kids are willing to try such old films. Plus I thank films like Endgame for building better patience and endurance for them to sit through long films.
Desperately trying to find a black and white film that they will like, my son tells me he will never watch one. 7/10.

Watched The Guns Of Navarone with the kids. Really solid war flick. So impressed that my kids are willing to try such old films. Plus I thank films like Endgame for building better patience and endurance for them to sit through long films.
Desperately trying to find a black and white film that they will like, my son tells me he will never watch one. 7/10.

How old are the kids??

I brought mine up watching the old Harryhausen and Willis O'Brian films before I introduced them to Jurassic Park. I wanted them to hold nothing against the old B&W and stop motion of the older classics. Because of that they will watch Universal monster movies, Abbot and Costello, and The Marx Brothers films.

If the movie is solid they really don't care about the B&W

Schindler's List? Does that count? Very adult.. So that depends on the kids age.

Batman 89 - 6/10 - the Score is that high for nostalgia, Keaton's Batman look and performance and Danny Elfman's score.

Boy the soundtrack sounds amazing on the 4K disk.. Picture is great also but I bet there are those that hate it because it looks like they messed with the color on it.. Has a teal look in some of the darker scenes..

Didn't bother me. I didn't mind the updated gun sound effects either. I always hated the old sound effects.

How old are the kids??

I brought mine up watching the old Harryhausen and Willis O'Brian films before I introduced them to Jurassic Park. I wanted them to hold nothing against the old B&W and stop motion of the older classics. Because of that they will watch Universal monster movies, Abbot and Costello, and The Marx Brothers films.

If the movie is solid they really don't care about the B&W

Schindler's List? Does that count? Very adult.. So that depends on the kids age.

Yep no agree completely. They are 5 and 7.

The eldest loves war so he loves Dunkirk, Patton, Hunt For Red October. He really liked Apollo 11 as well.

The little one adores Indy and that?s all he asks for but he?s enjoyed the first two Brendan Fraser Mummy movies recently.

They both love slapstick so they adore Looney Tunes, 1941 (which kind of blew my mind that they love it!), Pink Panther, Spaceballs, Men In Tights. They also recently got into Tintin and love the film.

I may be able to get the eldest to watch Sink The Bismarck so that might be his first b/w. I recently did a list of war films and man I want to watch some of them! I don?t think I?ve ever seen Tora Tora Tora or Midway. I really want him to try Dr Strangelove and like you say things like the Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein etc. just typing this I think of more things like The Monster Squad!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALIEN - 10/10 - 4K presentation was just about perfect. Man this movie is just so damn good. The set design is up there with my all time favs. Perfect cast, perfect director, perfect set designers for the ship and the ALIEN. Perfect movie.

ALIEN - 10/10 - 4K presentation was just about perfect. Man this movie is just so damn good. The set design is up there with my all time favs. Perfect cast, perfect director, perfect set designers for the ship and the ALIEN. Perfect movie.

szrCSEC.jpg

The Shadow (1994) 8 out of 10 - It's been a long time since I've seen this, first saw it in a theater then probably saw it last back in the late 90's, so it was almost like watching it for the first time. Still holds up as a good movie, maybe not the best adaptation of the Shadow, but I still enjoyed the hell out of it. I really liked Alec Baldwin in the main role, loved seeing Jonathan Winters again, they should've wrote more scenes for him. Peter Boyle was great, also wished he had more to do in this. John Lone was good as Kahn, and Penelope Ann Miller was okay, both left something to be desired. The special effects looked surprisingly good and loved the sets and cinematography.

The Phantom (1996) 6 out of 10 - An okay movie. I really liked Billy Zane's Phantom. Kristy Swanson, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Cary Tagawa, and James Remar were quite good. Loved Treat Williams' over the top performance. Great casting in this. The stunt work is fantastic, and the production looked great. The story unfortunately jumps around too much and it feels like they tried to cram as much as they could into one movie. Something about the ending I didn't like, I can't place exactly what but, maybe the fight scenes, the sets, and story felt a little too staged and predictable. Needed a big stunt at the end or something.

The Rocketeer (1991) 9 out of 10 - Loved this movie since the first time I saw it in a theater. Perfect casting once again, Billy Campbell, Alan Arkin, Jennifer Connelly, and Timothy Dalton, all were great. The sets, costumes, makeup (Lothar) music, stunts, all great. Some of the effects shots could've been done better and I wish the Rocketeer had more flight scenes in this. Problems that I think come from the budget and the limit of technology at the time. This really needs a sequel more than anything else, just no female Rocketeer to take over the mantle please, I'm sick of this type of thing in modern movies, TV shows and comics. Better yet, don't pass the mantle to anyone, just recast Cliff Secord and make new movies.

I pulled a back to back triple feature last night.. Not done that in about 15 years.

Jurassic Park 9/10
The Lost World: Jurassic Park 9.5/10
Jurassic Park III 3/10

JP is still a classic. I don't love as much as I use to but the T-Rex scene alone is enough to guarantee that I will return to this film many more times in the future. Over the years I find my biggest issue is the look of the film. I cant put my finger on it. I love the T-Rex scene and how that looks but that's about it. Watched this in 4K also and the transfer was a huge step up over the old Blu ray.

It's still a fun movie (and the T-Rex & Raptor CGI still holds up well today), but every time I see it I marvel at how the T-Rex scene is lauded despite the fact that it contains one of the biggest continuity blunders in movie history. It starts by the T-Rex sauntering out of its pen between the two Explorers and it ends when it pushes the first Explorer over the embankment of the same pen, but suddenly the ground within that pen is about 100 feet lower in elevation. :slap I mean seriously, how the hell does that make sense? It wasn't raining that hard, so I think we can rule out massive erosion during that 4-5 minute time period. Maybe T-Rexes know how to climb trees? If so, they only like to climb UP. :lol

Back