Action Figure Repainted AOU Titan Hero Hulkbuster

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I def should of airbrushed it ftw. Tried the oil marker method and it's a royal pain in the ***. Looks ok, but easier to be more precise with brush.

First I run out of primer mid spray. I clean the uneven parts and when Im done the weather doesn't permit me to continue so then finally BAM sunshine and I finish that and then tonight I sprayed it red but its odd in some parts theres like a webbing effect. Anyone have any guesses as to what could of caused that? Its like a spiderweb embossed in some parts its a good way to explain. Ill take a few pics when theres day light. Any insight would be appreciated

First I run out of primer mid spray. I clean the uneven parts and when Im done the weather doesn't permit me to continue so then finally BAM sunshine and I finish that and then tonight I sprayed it red but its odd in some parts theres like a webbing effect. Anyone have any guesses as to what could of caused that? Its like a spiderweb embossed in some parts its a good way to explain. Ill take a few pics when theres day light. Any insight would be appreciated

There are a few reasons why this is happening. One is a reaction of the new paint to the old paint(Which might not be a problem if you are spraying onto an unpainted surface). Another can be contaminates. (Silicon spray is really really bad stuff with paint) Another reason is adhesion. There are adhesion promoters that you spray on first then apply your paint/primer. Another is the wrong type of paint.
Where is it crazing? Is it on parts that had paint on them to begin with? Did you clean the entire thing with hot soapy water and a toothbrush?

Saw this on FB. Thought this was HT's Hulkbuster upon first glance.

20150316100726_668406.jpg

Does anybody knows or recommend silver paint that is similar to this?

There are a few reasons why this is happening. One is a reaction of the new paint to the old paint(Which might not be a problem if you are spraying onto an unpainted surface). Another can be contaminates. (Silicon spray is really really bad stuff with paint) Another reason is adhesion. There are adhesion promoters that you spray on first then apply your paint/primer. Another is the wrong type of paint.
Where is it crazing? Is it on parts that had paint on them to begin with? Did you clean the entire thing with hot soapy water and a toothbrush?

Thank you for your reply. I cleaned it with soapy water 1st and after i primed it. What you said makes me think after my 1st primer fail i should of washed it again when I was done cleaning that up. Thank you

Thank you for your reply. I cleaned it with soapy water 1st and after i primed it. What you said makes me think after my 1st primer fail i should of washed it again when I was done cleaning that up. Thank you

No worries. If you still have worries, pick up a can of spray degreasant. Brake cleaner should do the trick. Brake CLEANER. Not brake FLUID.

Tamiya X-11

Alclad Chrome will yield identical results fyi.

I definitely have the worst repainting skills on this forum :lol but I figured I'd share a work-in-progress pic.

Still lots to do but I'm having a lot of fun with this project, thanks for the inspiration peeps! ;)

822dc9dd-68a6-46cf-8a7e-a5757b54745a_zps80hzzfgs.jpg

Last edited:
Haven't gave an update in a while , Diabetes beat me down again and spent a few nights in icu with DKA , got out yesterday and my gundam marker was here so i got some work done , marker ran out almost 3/4th of the way through so i ordered another as it sits unfinished , deff recommend getting 2 of em , Sorry bout the bad pics , shot with smartphones and horrible lighting , also got the hulk in and the size is perfect next to hulkbuster , deff a match.
lines 1.jpg
lines 2.jpg
lines 3.jpg
lines 4.jpg
buster unfinished with hulk.jpg

Dang Eric sorry to hear you were in ICU dude. Glad to hear you're doing better and rocking the Hulkbuster out. Nice work! :rock

Did you do all the panel lines with the marker? I tried that on mine with an extra fine point but wasn't pleased with the results as it looked too thick still to me. I then tried doing a black wash with a little black paint thinned out a ton which was better but not filling the lines adequately. I'm frustrated haha!

Thanks man! Yeah used the gundam marker for all the panels , some parts came out a little thick but were fixable by wiping , pretty steady with line work too which helped a ton.

Wow that looks awesome. I ended up getting one of these because I just had to have me a hulkbuster toy. Don't think I will be able to afford the Hot Toys version. That is one cool repaint.

It is super expensive , but I'm still getting it, till then this figure will do [emoji14]

Thanks man! Yeah used the gundam marker for all the panels , some parts came out a little thick but were fixable by wiping , pretty steady with line work too which helped a ton.

Thanks, think I'm going to skip doing them as I keep mucking it up one way or another. :lol

It is super expensive , but I'm still getting till then this figure will do [emoji14]

:exactly: :exactly: :exactly:

Your Hulkbuster's looking great so far, Eric. I hope you're doing much better now. Wishing you all the best with your health, bud.

Here's my updated pics after attempting to do some weathering (yes, I suck at it I know :lol).

I've tried doing the panel lines a few times with a Gundam style marker but I just don't have the skills or steady hand to do it properly, so I'm skipping it. Being a caffeine addict probably doesn't help lol.

There's a few touch ups I'd like to do before clear coating, but can anyone give me a basic walk through on how to apply a black wash into the crevices like the gold 'button's on the chest, elbow and knee joints, etc?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

750f70d2-771c-4952-8a4e-adc12de992ae_zpsz8wvbxal.jpg

00847b7e-7d2e-4987-8003-a9b16537b7f0_zpscuujw5ov.jpg

Back