{ Roman General } ACI Toys 1/6 Warriors ACI08 *Anniversary Product*2012 Coming

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, after many delays, the General finally made it all the way to rainy, cold, miserable Bogotá.
I'm at the office, so no chance of unpacking, putting together, futzing and playing, but the packaging is fantastic and what I did get to see of the figure, it really looks high-end.
Very happy to have this in the collection, will give a more thorough review once I get a chance to unpack.

Congrats man. Glad you finally got it.

Don't use stirrups. Roman saddled did not have them, and if you look closely, Maximus doesn't have them on his saddle either.
BTW - How does the articulation works out with the needed leg spread for the mount?

History wise, stirrups werent used during this period, In the film, Maximus uses stirrups so i made them.
On the saddle, he looks good. no problem with articulation to get him on

So I pre ordered this guy back in January from vikingplayground and I have been sending them emails asking about status and have only gotten one response and that was in March. Has anyone else dealt with them recently? I even called and left them a message and still nothing.

So I pre ordered this guy back in January from vikingplayground and I have been sending them emails asking about status and have only gotten one response and that was in March. Has anyone else dealt with them recently? I even called and left them a message and still nothing.

My orders with them in the past were always smooth & no problems.. maybe DID has another shipping crate lost at sea somewhere? :dunno. maan i thought this fiasco was over. hopefully u get yours soon!

Right, so first impressions after unpacking and starting to put the General together.
(No pics yet, sorry about that, but I will take pics over the week end to share.)

If I had to sum it up, I'd say A for effort.

First off, the packaging. It is extremely nice! The graphics are very well done, the materials used are top notch. Everything looks and feels like a high-end collectible should. The figure and all the accessories are held in place securely and are very easy to unpack (and probably put back in again).

On to the figure itself.
The head sculpt looks great, not quite a perfect rendition of Russell Crowe as Maximus, but damn close IMHO. Paint apps are great as well. It does have a bit of a giraffe neck going on, and I'm not sure it was really necessary... if you look in the movie, Crowe does look a bit "stuffed" into the armor, it's to be expected. I think it's quite clear that this is a "kit-bashed" product. ACI probably commissioned the HS somewhere else and it doesn't quite fit with the body they used. Happens a lot when you buy custom head sculpts. Mine also sits quite loosely on the neck post. Not a biggie, but somewhat irritating.

The body seems quite good, the muscular forearms look great, and the articulation is nice and tight. Except for the ankles, which are a bit loose (just in case somebody missed it, Maximus has no feet, the ankle pegs fit directly into the boots, like HT figures), but once you put the greaves on -sticking the boots into the greaves- they help to keep balance. The hands are not as cleanly sculpted as the head, there is some flash here and there, but they look good. It does seem to me that the hand with the pointing finger is a tad small, but I'll have to take a closer look.

On to clothing. Not much to be said here, all the clothing items look and feel fantastic! The tailoring is great, the materials feel supple and with good weight to them, colors are nicely muted and with just the right touch of weathering here and there. Great work!

Accessories and gear. At first glance, every thing looks fantastic. On closer inspection though, there are some flaws. Detail and paint apps are a bit uneven, e.g. on the swords (gladii) hilts and sheaths the first impression is awesome, but when you look a bit closer, the paint apps are a bit uneven and detailing looks a bit soft. But you do have to look closely. From a normal viewing distance you would never notice. But let's just say that in general everything looks great. One of the greaves on mine is a bit warped, but it's nothing too apparent, so it doesn't bother me.

What is a bit more worrying is the muscle cuirass (lorica musculata). It is quite warped, so as to make it almost impossible to fit properly. I did manage to fit the sides with no problem (I had to widen some of the holes for the fasteners, no biggie), but the top fasteners (and the actual armor) are quite misaligned. Add to that the fact that the rubber fasteners don't quite fit into the holes and you've got a bit of a headache. And that's not even taking into account the shoulder guards, which should be quite difficult to fit into the whole thing, especially because the holes are once again to small for the intended rubber pegs.

I didn't have time to finish putting the General together last night as I was tired and didn't want to mess it up, but I do foresee some work to get the cuirass and shoulder guards to fit properly and stay in place.

I'm sure once the figure is put together, with the cape on and his gladii ready, all the minor details won't be a problem, so I'm not worried, but it's clear that there is still some way to go for ACI to find its way to the top of the food chain. The General, as I received him, is more akin to an old model kit, where some of the plastic parts came bent or had some flash that made you work a bit more to get everything aligned and glued correctly.

Just for comparison's sake I think back to my first HT figures, Hicks, Drake and Apone. Those were model kits that you had to put together, even the bodies. There were tons of pieces and intricate detail, but every single piece fit perfectly. HT was more akin to a modern Tamiya model kit with precision etched parts.

So, sorry for the lengthy post, but I hope it is helpful to others.

Let me just close by saying that I'm very happy with this figure and quite impressed with what ACI set out to do, even though they didn't quite execute it to perfection. The figure has plenty of gear and accessories, it has a very good base body, a great head sculpt, fantastic clothing and very good paint apps overall, so I'm sure it is an awesome addition to anyone's collection despite the small flaws.

great review! I'm waiting to c if u r just going to say "screw it" & just glue the straps on his armor.

great review! I'm waiting to c if u r just going to say "screw it" & just glue the straps on his armor.

:lol

I will almost certainly glue the side straps on one side. But I doubt I will glue the entire thing together. I'm hard at thinking on a different method of getting the shoulder guards affixed.

Robbie, there was some concern over on OSW that they had gone off the radar. Not sure what it was about. Just remember seeing a thread about it. You could try finding out more information there. Sorry man!

shoulder guards were alot easier to get on than that armor.. r u paranoid that they'll come off easily? on mine i actually broke off that little hook that attached to the armor while adjusting so be careful.. a little supeglue fixed er up...

Robbie, there was some concern over on OSW that they had gone off the radar. Not sure what it was about. Just remember seeing a thread about it. You could try finding out more information there. Sorry man!

Thanks Wake.
I had gotten this figure a long time ago and so I have not missed out, but I had paid for this already, because like others, I've had no problems with them in the past. The fact that they wont respond to calls is what makes me the most nervous.

shoulder guards were alot easier to get on than that armor.. r u paranoid that they'll come off easily? on mine i actually broke off that little hook that attached to the armor while adjusting so be careful.. a little supeglue fixed er up...

Yeah, for one, it looks pretty difficult to get the rubber pegs into the holes on the armor, and if that doesn't work, I don't think the little hooks and the weight of the cape are enough to keep them in place.

Any tips on how you went about it?

its not that bad or difficult getting that in (what she said). once u get everything on (even the cape) it stays pretty put... that is of course he decides to take a shelf dive or something to that extreme... that attachment reminds me of the Samurai Predator's shoulder armor which I also broke & had to fix. I would just leave the Gen's shoulder pads the way it is :dunno

Yeah, for one, it looks pretty difficult to get the rubber pegs into the holes on the armor, and if that doesn't work, I don't think the little hooks and the weight of the cape are enough to keep them in place.

Any tips on how you went about it?

Back