Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WooHoo!!!! I am happy at last.
I have been searching forever for a straight from the bottle skin tone paint that I can live with for the flesh of my plethora of human heads. It finally came yesterday and, while it was only available in a very small bottle I was able to paint 16 heads this morning that I am pleased thus far with the results of.
I truly understand the "a paint job can make or break the sculpt" statement better now. And I can really tell the difference between the quality of different sculpts now in how the paint applies to the better sculpt/cast than the lesser quality.
I will be taking a sample of this paint to Lowes to see if they can "color match" it so I might have enough paint ALL my existing and forthcoming sculpts.
All in all, I am pleased today. It was also very relaxing once i got started as the paint applied well and did not present me any problems.

IM,
Please share the paint brand info. I'll probably order some too. :)
Thank you.

I eventually had to wind up ordering it from Hong Kong. Couldn't find it in most places and a lot of them wouldn't ship overseas due to post
9-11 restrictions.
It is made by Revell.
RE 36135 Aqua color solid matt - flesh 18ml

Or, as I said, I plan on hitting up Lowes and seeing if they can match it. If they can I can give you the mix info they used and you can do the same. It would be about the same price but the Lowes "sample" is a pint.

Does anyone know of a doll hair that would work for orangutans? The more dirty blonde color not the orange. I'm going to try Tony Barton's method on Nix and if im successful, I may try it for my Lawgiver and/or TV Zaius.

Last edited:
So, here is some progress on some of my heads. Not apes, but this brings a whole new realm of possibilities to light. Hopefully, I'll get better as I go in terms of giving them a more "realistic" look. Now, of course, I have to start digging out all the uniforms, outfits and such that were stored away because these hadn't been painted.
I hope this works out and i am satisfied with the final products.

Straight from the bottle is perfect for a no patience guy like me. Have to get more of the heads out and see if my Lowe's "color match" sample jar works as well.

Wish me luck--going to the fabric store. Have to make two gorilla bandoliers! Hopefully I find the right fabric.

So, here is some progress on some of my heads. Not apes, but this brings a whole new realm of possibilities to light. Hopefully, I'll get better as I go in terms of giving them a more "realistic" look. Now, of course, I have to start digging out all the uniforms, outfits and such that were stored away because these hadn't been painted.
I hope this works out and i am satisfied with the final products.

I've been trying to figure out who that is, second from the right...

Is it Roy Scheider?

I have encountered a slight problem with Dodge. His hair came out terribly and I have to redo. I have put it aside for now, as I am frustrated with it. I hate wasting RTV!!

Jessica,
Keep in mind the RTV (depending on type) might be salvaged. I sometimes cut up the old mold into small pieces and use it as filler. I also make sure to keep those filler parts away from the sculpture.

The RTV (depending on type) sticks to itself if there is no mold release on it.

BTW
I have ordered 1/6 wolfman parts (hands, arms, feet, etc.) to use with your Lak Star Wars guy. Thank you :)

Tonight i am going to melt some monster wax and pour it into the mold and see if i can tweak the hair on the wax cast. Last night i took an exacto and shaved off the texture of the hair of the original sculpt. In any case i need to texturize his hair.

It was...him!

2B16BE22-8FFB-46D7-8773-AF6036268D90-7088-000009A45377556F.jpg

Back