Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks so much for sharing, Jess...

I wouldn't be too concerned about them not being Sideshow products. We, here, are more concerned about them being Ape related. I'm just glad to see your work and care you take with details of your costumes.

One question, since you seem to know your way around materials for costumes...

I've never been happy with the inner sleeves of Sideshow's Cornelius and Zira's outfits. It looks too much like a sweater, and in the films it is a brown, what seems to be a burlap type material.

Do you have any suggestions about what type of material I could replace those inner sleeves with?

Jungle, I have been on the prowl for such a material, and I think I have come across one. It's a dark brown linen with a large weave. How do you post pictures here? I want to show it to you. It doesn't look like sweater material at all, and it's not rough like burlap. If you unravel the ends a bit and then seal the edges away from the unravelled ends with "Fray Stop," (or fabric glue which dries clear on the wrong side of the fabric, I think it would work.) I have seen the burlap at the fabric shops and while the weave is perfect, I can never find the right brown and it feels too rough.

Last edited:
Jess, I'd love to see that material...

Alas my computer skills are lacking. I am able to post pictures myself but I don't think I could explain it to you very well, but I can give you a start.

When you go to post a message just scroll down a bit, you'll see under additional options something called "manage attachments" click on that.

Hopefully, you can manage from there. There is a limit on file size and height and width.

There is also a way to use a service such as Photobucket or other image hosting site, but I've never been able to understand it enough to try it.

I took the photo without a flash, because the flash was turning the fabric a strange brown color. I placed a snippet of it on top of Cornelius' sleeve so you can see the two side by side. This particular fabric is a dark coffee brown, almost like chestnut and i got it just for their inner sleeve lining. What do you think? Let me know if you need me to make the picture larger.

Perfect, Jess, just perfect! That's just what I've been looking for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you pick me up some, or if you have some left over (Enough for Cornelius, Zira, and Luscius)?

[If I ever have the time to paint that Luscius head that Angel was nice enough to repair for me]

I'll pay postage and what you want for the material.

You really know your material. I wish you were around when I was trying to find the proper material to line my Dracula's coffin with. I couldn't find white crinkely material so I had to use a dark burgandy.

Last edited:
Oh... Jess...

I think if you don't cut the way you have in the photo but slightly canted the fraying at the ends will be more effective. Kind of like when you cut off jeans to make shorts. The weave of the fabric is kind of on a diagonal.

Oh... and congrats on your first picture post!

{I'm still breaking up my posts in an effort to catch up with Angel!) Ha Ha !

Jungle, I think you are spot on regarding the canting of the fraying. I think with this fabric, if you cut it on a bias (a diagonal)...it doesn't fray well. I tried to do that before posting the photo, and it stretches it out in some weird way and it no longer lies flat. When I replace mine, I will cut the fabric on the bias (because photos I have seen of Zira's sleeve portray that the pattern is on a diagonal), and then sew some of the same fabric (but frayed and cantered) on the wrong side of it while it was still flat, and then sew this inside the green sleeves. I didn't buy so much of the fabric, but I don't think you will need a lot for 3 figures. How about a buck--it should cover the postage and then some, for a swatch of fabric that measures 13" x 6"?? I can't remember how much the fabric costs, but it's 100% linen. You should have a lot of left over fabric from that swatch if you are only using it for 3 figures. When I fray my fabric, I will fray it on the side that is closer to Cornelius' brown sleeve rather than the side that is closer to his hand (if you are looking at the photo I attached earlier).

Regarding the white crinkly material, did you try looking in the fabric store in the section where they have sheers and drapes? Maybe you did and at that time they didn't have any at that time. Let me know if you are looking for any other type of fabric. I love going on treasure hunts.

Jess..

Thanks so much. I'm going to sleep now and very busy tomorrow so if your PM is enabled or if your e-mail is enabled, I will send you my mailing address and you can send me yours in the next few days. Then I'll send you the Buck! [You are very generous as is everyone here on this thread]

Thanks so much, I've really been bothered about those sleeves since I bought the figures and you are now the solution to the problem!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regarding the white crinkly material, did you try looking in the fabric store in the section where they have sheers and drapes? Maybe you did and at that time they didn't have any at that time. Let me know if you are looking for any other type of fabric. I love going on treasure hunts.

Yeah Jess, I looked everywhere! Spent many hours in the fashion district here in NYC...

I found nothing that would work.

I am thinking of fabric paint but unsure of the effectiveness.

Sadly Angel... Still a pile of leather... It will get done, however.

I just got back from taking my two sons to "I am Legend". I really liked it but there were problems. I'll try to keep this as spoiler free as possible.

Unlike Heston, Smith was trying to cure the infected more than just eliminating them. Heston's Robert also tried to find a cure but was also intent on taking out as many as he could so he himself was not in harms way. Smith tried to keep his encounters with the Zombie/Vampires to a minimum.

I think smith's acting was much more real, but sometimes we want our film heros larger than life. That is why, although technically not as good, I find Heston's portrayal more to my sensibilities.

Finally, I am sick of computer generated characters that are supposed to be real. If they had used real actors with make-up the MutaZombampires would have been so much more believable and menacing! Every time I see one of these CGI things it takes me right out of a film. I wish they would bring back practical effects! I'll take a fake looking rubber shark to a CGI one any day!

And Angel, I went to that Video store Smith went to many times in the past, sadly now it is closed. I also live less than a mile from where his house was by Washington Square Park! So odd to see my neighborhood lifeless!

I agree with you on so many of those points Jungle. The Omega Man is classic for so many reasons! The biggest reason I'll always like The Omega Man over I Am Legend is simply because I grew up with this being my 2nd favorite movie. (Gee I wonder what movie I preferred over The Omega Man?)

I loved the intro to I am Legend. Seeing the streets all deserted (and lifeless) with the aerial shots from above was incredible to me! Those images captured my imagination.

In spite of the flaws, I really enjoyed I Am Legend and I'm looking forward to it coming out on DVD.

Guess what I've been working on guys. Go ahead and guess! The New York is a Summer Festival Poster. Has anyone else (other than Jungle) made one yet?

How would someone get a horse to lie on it’s back and put it’s feet in the stirrups?

Back