Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look you guys! My Taylor made the custom of the week spotlight! :chew

Jess

Hi Jess! Congrats on the Taylor! I really like the stitching and the backpack. The sculpt looks really cool also! By the way, good looking kid to model your shirt.:cool:

Just wanted to show you guys what I have been up to today. I sewed this jacket from the same fabric that I used for Ironman's Nova, and I worked off of a photograph that I found in the newspaper. Not Planet of the Apes related, but it's great sewing practice and it was a lot of fun to make.

Jess.

You did a great job on that jacket Jess.

The first photo is a bit disturbing, however. Zira seems to have shaved her legs!

You did a great job on that jacket Jess.

The first photo is a bit disturbing, however. Zira seems to have shaved her legs!

I know...I took some other quite disturbing photos that were worse than that. I don't have any other non-ape female dolls. Kind of proud of that fact.

Correction....I actually DO have a Daisy Duke doll that I got from Ironman as a trade, but Zira's my favorite model.

I should note that I did not account for the strange proportions of the female Mego figure--the hips were quite wide compared to the upper portion of the body. The shoulders are also deceptively narrow. I trimmed the edge of the jacket to fit the shoulders but then overcompensated the trim around the hips so the jacket was unable to close around the hips. What I did to fix this major gaffe was to cut the jacket short and add an A-line cut bottom portion for the jacket. The belt hides where I have patched up the jacket. You would not be able to tell that I did a patchup to fix it unless you look inside. That was a good save for me as I did not have to start over.

Jess.

Last edited:
Jess/Jungle - I'm ready for the trade between us. Zira and Nova are in need of some new clothing.

That jacket came out really good Jess. You should use that thin black leather to make Caesar a black leather suit as seen in CONQUEST! :monkey5:monkey5:monkey5

How's that coat rack comng along?

The coat rack is almost done. I need to find a metal file so I can smooth out the lumps within the crevices. I have not had time to go to the hardware store. I'm sure there's something out there like that. The closest I to a hardware store I went to was a Kragen's auto supply shop which just happened to be next to the fabric store and they didn't have what I was looking for.

The fabric for the jacket I just made is a very dark chocolate brown. I think I can find fake black leather that is not shiny. I just have to keep a lookout for it.

Thank goodness that mini sewing project is done. Now I can concentrate on Zira's Escape outfit. If I can't fix the front portion of the blouse, I'm going to start over...If I can make that tiny jacket, there's no reason why I can't make Zira's Escape outfit...

I also started adding sculpted hair to my Mego Cornelius and an extra Mego Zaius to recreate him into the President of the Assembly. Nobody's ever done a President of the Assembly over at the Mego Forums so I might as well take a crack at it. I think I have enough photo references of Cornelius. I only have 2 photos though of the President of the Assembly. Angel, when you get to making your President, will you share your screengrabs with me?

Jess.

Last edited:
The coat rack is almost done. I need to find a metal file so I can smooth out the lumps within the crevices. I have not had time to go to the hardware store. I'm sure there's something out there like that. The closest I to a hardware store I went to was a Kragen's auto supply shop which just happened to be next to the fabric store and they didn't have what I was looking for.

Jess.

Jess - Why not use sandpaper? Wrap the sandpaper around a tiny dowel rod, popsicle sticks or some other small object? I've actually split popsicle sticks down the middle, glued sandpaper to to them and trimmed of the excess so file in small areas. You'll think of something.

Thank goodness that mini sewing project is done. Now I can concentrate on Zira's Escape outfit. If I can't fix the front portion of the blouse, I'm going to start over...If I can make that tiny jacket, there's no reason why I can't make Zira's Escape outfit... Jess.

This is really exciting to me! Thanks again Jess. :cool:

Here are the last of them Jessica. I wish you luck! :)

Thanks for these, Angel. I will need screenshots of his back so I can make the costume (eventually), but these are great because I need to re-work the hair I have already put now. Thank goodness Apoxie is sandable. So many things to do---so little time.

I never thought of gluing sandpaper on a popsickle stick....For some reason I was mentally stuck on finding the right metal file. Thanks for the suggestion! I get so focused that I lose my peripheral vision...

Jess.

I went and got cha some fresh pix...

Wow...these are frickin' what I needed! Thank you so much!! :chew

Have you found a pair of tin snips yet so you can start making your outfit? Already I see that four of the glyphs are exactly the same...that should help some (I think)...but I don't know until I cross that bridge...

I've really got to start cracking on Zira's Escape outfit. There's so much stuff I want to do--I wish I had more time...

Jess.

Tin snips? For an out fit? I'll probably make them from thin credit card plastic plastic, clay, sculpy or that thin craft foam. I might even cast them in resin. I'm not sure yet. I have to get these frickin' wagons behind me... I expect to make HUGE strides this week end on the wagons.

The glyphs on the Presidents shoulders are unique. Aside from those, There are 16 squares. Pattern "A" has 8 squares that are exactly the same. Pattern "B" has 4 squares that are exactly the same as the Pattern "C" squares, except for one minor difference, they are mirror images. Pattern "C" has 4 squares are exactly the same as Pattern "B", but they are mirror images obviously.

I thought you were going to use the thin credit card plastic and use very sharp tin snips to cut the patterns out with the tin snips...but you know what? I think the thin craft foam ought to work better. Didn't think of that! See? You're always thinking ahead of the game--I am still catching up...

Another hour to go so I can get the rest of my life going...there are oodles of stuff I want to do but can't because I'm at work...

Jess.

Blouse update: it's not working----gaaaaahhhh!! I think it's because the fabric is very difficult to work with. I'm going to try again tonight and see if I sew it onto some kind of lining if it will behave. It's a very slippery fabric and it just loves to fray (I am using fraycheck to keep that at bay). I think I will use a lining to see how it works. Once I am done with this blouse, which is the most difficult part of the outfit, then the rest will be a breeze.

Jess.

:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

Jess - I'm hoping you can make it work somehow. That fabric looks sooooooo perfect.

As Tim Gunn says, "Make it work..." and I will. I have to. I haven't found another fabric with the color that I need for this blouse.

I fudged with it again--I added a lining and the fabric is being beaten to submission!!!! I kept the sleeves I had cut out but started over with the shell of the body. I am happy with the way it's looking. Can't wait to finish the blouse--it is exciting to see it come together.

Jess.

Last edited:
Back